Latest Patch and Utilities for Hasbro Axis and Allies CD-Rom 1998

• Trying to get this on my Surface Pro (because oh how fantastic would Axis&Allies be on a touchscreen, right?), so alas can’t start with the CD (no drive).

I tried just installing the Starter Pack 60 full version, and I’m not sure if I’m getting glitches because it’s wonky from a touch screen or if it’s just Windows 8 64, or a screen resolution/colors issue. Any advice on particular settings to try before launching the game that may enable me to use today’s technology to play yesterday’s games?

• There is a problem with the game running slow on win8.
    http://axisandalliesworldclub.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=64697#p64697

If the frame rate is too low there is some weird behavior with buttons ( like when purchasing units )

(edit1: do NOT use ForceDirectDrawEmulation on Win8 )
    (edit2: it may be possible that DirectDraw is not hardware accelerated on your device… which means it’d be using ForceDirectDrawEmulation whether you select it or not. )

That’s all the help I can offer.
    You may be happier using TripleA

• Thank you for the response. Win8 seems to have pretty decent “Troubleshoot Compatibility” workarounds for those interested. I was able to essentially just go through the troubleshooter (right click on the game and choose to troubleshoot compatibility) and answer some questions about what wasn’t working for me, and it adjusted it to run as if it were Win XP and then changed something about the resolution as well.

So I went from resolution problems fixed to problems where my mouse or finger didn’t click where it was actually pointing to seeing “through” the game into my desktop whenever I clicked to essentially running the game with no issues.

So with the correct compatibility, and currently with ForceDirectDrawEmulation ON (though later I will try with it off, as well), I’m now happy enough. If I use the mouse, there are no issues. If I use the touchscreen, I see “through” the game into my desktop (as if I am touching an opaque material and making it transparent for an instant) but only for an instant such that it doesn’t even both me, and I am enjoying performing some of the AA tasks by hand. The only graphics issue really is that combat screens very slooowly expand before I can start rolling dice, but it’s only a few seconds and manageable overall.

Thank you greatly for taking the time to dedicate to this game, answering questions, and providing support. I’ll report back if I find any other improvements or issues so that others don’t give up when at first things don’t look so great.

• After messing around a while getting this to run on Windows 8 (technically Windows 8.1, 64 Bit), I thought I would post my 2 cents on the best way to get it to run.

1. Download and install AAStarterPackFull60.exe (or Install from the original CD, then download and install AAStarterPack60.exe).
    2. Copy the Data folder from the CD to the Programs directory if music/videos are desired (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Hasbro Interactive\Axis and Allies).
    3. Run AAHelper, uncheck “Enable DirectDraw Emulation”, and set “Limit Process Affinity” to “On when Movies Enabled”.
    4. Download an updated drawfix file. I can’t post links, but you can find it on the page linked to by aqrit above (see his Feb 26 2013 post on that page). Extract drawfix.dll from the zip to the Programs directory, replacing the original.
    5. Run the game.  While in the game, hold Alt and hit enter twice.  This will change out of and back to full screen mode. You will need to do this step each time you launch the game.

A couple notes:

• I did not have to set compatibility mode to a previous windows version, or have the program run as administrator.
    • If you skip the last step above there will be some bugs in the program, most notably some slow animation.  For example, the battle screen with the dice will take 5 seconds or more to load before every battle.  For some reason changing out of full screen and back makes it run at a realistic speed.

• I installed the game on laptop with win8, the games starts incredible fast and the flags are moving so fast in the wind I can almost not see the animation… but after 15-20 minutes, the game slows down more and more so I cannot barely not scroll the map or see the animations of exloding units… what can be wrong?

is starts perfectly fine and then slows down so I have to restart every 15 minutes.
    and Iäm not sure of you guys, but for me it takes more than 15 min to beat the axis so I have to restart quite many times… :)

• any one has the same problem or know how to solve it?

• '17 '16 '15

Maybe try running it under Windows 98 compatibility mode?  I have Windows XP and it seems to work okay for me.

• I’m trying to download the starter pack from the ewarzone link, but the computer can’t find the host. Is there something wrong with the website?

• @beneficii:

I’m trying to download the starter pack from the ewarzone link, but the computer can’t find the host. Is there something wrong with the website?

Just way outdated.

Give TripleA a try instead. Just look for these stickies in this subforum:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=18278.0
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27127.0

• @kurt3892:

Go here to download the the 1998 Hasbro Axis and Allies CD-Rom Version 5.1

http : //ewarzone. com/aa .html

Hasbro bugs fixed by the patch and other additions:

CIC Axis and Allies World Club

Link at the top of page isn’t working keep getting ewarzone. com�s server DNS address could not be found.

• @namsam1106:

Link at the top of page isn’t working keep getting ewarzone. com�s server DNS address could not be found.

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/post/112417

• This thread is fairly outdated and only kept pinned for reference purposes.

• @panther I’m aware of how old this thread is. Is there any mirror for that patch? I have a monster of a save file and I’d love to finish my game. :(

Or any instructions to do some of the modifications myself?

• '10

I uploaded the patch here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BfdyHjl8kpcQQtkDI01Dca9CEgzjLeUD/view?usp=sharing

My first time attempting this so hopefully it works.

• I’ve uploaded AAStarterPack60 to my website www.bitpatch.com/aa.html
    (The version that requires ownership of the original CD).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m