More Details on Axis & Allies Guadalcanal

• never hear of dream blade, but thats funny.

• :| Well, at least he seems to have stood up for heavier card stock. He at least seems to have an idea of what is job is. And at least seems to have a cursory knowledge of some of the things we have been clamoring about.

But getting a very important part of the rulebook incorrect?  :x

Errata before the game comes out?  :? (Is there an emoticon for throwing your arms in the air in exasperation?)

• Thick cardboard was most likely something in the back of Larry Harris Mind. I am sure he insisted these be thick and made it a point.

The other stuff is all fault of this Dreamblade bloke.

• Founder TripleA Admin

The latest news is that AH will be replacing the destroyer pieces for anybody who wants them.

• ahh very good. I will order more copies then… :roll:

• Customizer

What about buyers outside the US…? Will they replace the units too…?  :?

• Djensen you said in preview 3 that you can unload transports and destroyers. I assume this is like the Tokyo Express rule. Does it only work for the Japanese?

• Here you go. Part 3 and the last of the Guadalcanal Developer’s Notes by Nate Heiss is up:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20071114a

In the article it mentions this about the historical relevance of the battle and how they incorporated that into the game:

“Japan wanted the island chain as a place to launch air attacks on the US mainland. They also wanted to cut off the supply routes from Australia and the US. The US mostly wanted to stop Japan form achieving their goal, but establishing a foothold in the Solomons gave them a nice place to launch their Pacific operations closer to Asia.”

I have read before how the Japanese wanted to use the islands to separate Australia and the U.S. but, did Japan really want the islands to launch air strikes against the US mainland? Was that even feesable from Guadalcanal? That doesn’t make sense to me because isn’t Guadalcanal too far away to attack California isn’t it?

• Founder TripleA Admin

“Air units can work well both offensively and defensively, with their real advantage being that they can react to other movements and strike where you see opportunities. Their big downside is that they are pricy and don’t have the durability of the sea units.”

I disagree, only bombers are expensive-ish. Fighters are cheap, only 3 reinforcement points. When you’re sending fighters into a big battle, try to buy 1 or 2 to replace you inevitable casualties.

• @Admiral_Thrawn:

Here you go. Part 3 and the last of the Guadalcanal Developer’s Notes by Nate Heiss is up:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20071114a

In the article it mentions this about the historical relevance of the battle and how they incorporated that into the game:

“Japan wanted the island chain as a place to launch air attacks on the US mainland. They also wanted to cut off the supply routes from Australia and the US. The US mostly wanted to stop Japan form achieving their goal, but establishing a foothold in the Solomons gave them a nice place to launch their Pacific operations closer to Asia.”

I have read before how the Japanese wanted to use the islands to separate Australia and the U.S. but, did Japan really want the islands to launch air strikes against the US mainland? Was that even feesable from Guadalcanal? That doesn’t make sense to me because isn’t Guadalcanal too far away to attack California isn’t it?

not nessary ly america mainland but if they tried to get too close then they’d be attacked. ( maybe mess with american merchants hawaiia, navy and other pacific islands occupied by america)

• Well, no offense to Nate Heiss and maybe I am completely ignorant about this but, it just sounds weird to say the Japs wanted the Solomons to launch air attacks against the US mainland. Clearly Guadalcanal is on the other side of the Pacific. There is no way with WWII tech you could bomb the US mainland from there.

• Customizer

@Dagon81:

What about buyers outside the US…? Will they replace the units too…?  :?

Customer Service reply:
    If you purchase the game. Please reply with your complete mailing address and phone number and we will send you replacement Cruisers. There are no plans to reprint the game at this time.

• “Japan wanted the island chain as a place to launch air attacks on the US mainland. They also wanted to cut off the supply routes from Australia and the US. The US mostly wanted to stop Japan form achieving their goal, but establishing a foothold in the Solomons gave them a nice place to launch their Pacific operations closer to Asia.”

The first point is totally bogus. Nate’s been too busy with Dreamblade again.The real idea was to cut supply and isolate Australia from points that link back to our mainland and from British support. That was in fact the plan for Coral Sea namely to get in position to capture Port Moresby and further isolate Allied positions in south pacific. Also, it was to anchor the Japanese control of another further island chain for the defense of the perimeter of her conquests. A firm control of these islands would give Japan more time replace her lost carriers at Midway. AS you know she undertook conversion of 2 battleships to hybrid carriers and stepped up the completion of carriers not completed in order to gain back parity with American carrier force. Japan was engaged in a war of attrition after Midway and the Solomons would be for japan her first resolve of a bloody nose and send the message that “each island will be paid for in blood… do you have what it takes to continue?”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m