• Finally got a chance on the weekend to play my first game… nice, I like.

It took about an hour of going over the rules and discussing how we thought things were going to work since the rules had so few examples of play :roll:. In the end I think we played it correctly, but clarification is prolly neccessary to make sure:

1. Lets say I have 3 bmrs attacking 2 bbs and 2 ftrs. First, theres the air attack, my bmrs vs. ftrs. + bbs air attack value. My bmrs can only inflict dmg against the ftrs, while the bbs are immune to dmg. Then, whatever survives from the air attack, can attack the bbs, and the bmrs now become immune from any dmg while they attack the boats, correct?

2. Lets say I have 2 bmrs on and island w/airfield, and 2 bmrs come to attack my airfield. So theres and air attacks first, lets say I lose 1 bmr and my opponent doesnt. Then they attack the airfield and miss. Then when all the planes have to return to base, my opponent can land on MY AIRFIELD?! to determine control of islands, technically he has 2 bmrs and I only have 1 so he has more land attack value than me, right?
      This to me seems like bs, how can you attack an airfield, and then decide to land on it?! yet it happened at the end of our game, causing another round of a tie, and since our time was up, we had to call it a game.

I like how quickly the game took once we got the feeling for everything. Though we did forget to move some reinforcements each round, I think we had target fixation, b/c we both kept forgetting to move something - and once youve moved past ‘move transports’ we didnt allow you to go back in time to change it since it would effect what the other person might have done.

I dont think its 100% wise to build more capital ships (maybe they should be cheaper), it only presents another opportunity for yer opponent to get a VP if they destroy it. For example, my enemy rolled snake eyes with his 2 subs while attacking 2 of my ACs!!! brutal.

Both of us spent a lot of our reinforce points on an airforce. If not to build a bigger one, at least to replace what we were losing.

Need to play it a few more times, but so far it feels like it might be better than Bulge & DDay.  :-D

• Official Q&A

@Shr3dZ:

1. Lets say I have 3 bmrs attacking 2 bbs and 2 ftrs. First, theres the air attack, my bmrs vs. ftrs. + bbs air attack value. My bmrs can only inflict dmg against the ftrs, while the bbs are immune to dmg. Then, whatever survives from the air attack, can attack the bbs, and the bmrs now become immune from any dmg while they attack the boats, correct?

Correct.

@Shr3dZ:

1. Lets say I have 2 bmrs on and island w/airfield, and 2 bmrs come to attack my airfield. So theres and air attacks first, lets say I lose 1 bmr and my opponent doesnt. Then they attack the airfield and miss. Then when all the planes have to return to base, my opponent can land on MY AIRFIELD?! to determine control of islands, technically he has 2 bmrs and I only have 1 so he has more land attack value than me, right?
      This to me seems like bs, how can you attack an airfield, and then decide to land on it?! yet it happened at the end of our game, causing another round of a tie, and since our time was up, we had to call it a game.

Air units don’t contribute to land attack power for purposes of determining control of an island.  Only land and adjacent sea units do, and then only if there is at least one land unit on the island.  In your example, you would retain control of your airfield, so your opponent couldn’t land on it.

@Shr3dZ:

I like how quickly the game took once we got the feeling for everything. Though we did forget to move some reinforcements each round, I think we had target fixation, b/c we both kept forgetting to move something - and once youve moved past ‘move transports’ we didnt allow you to go back in time to change it since it would effect what the other person might have done.

I dont think its 100% wise to build more capital ships (maybe they should be cheaper), it only presents another opportunity for yer opponent to get a VP if they destroy it. For example, my enemy rolled snake eyes with his 2 subs while attacking 2 of my ACs!!! brutal.

Both of us spent a lot of our reinforce points on an airforce. If not to build a bigger one, at least to replace what we were losing.

Need to play it a few more times, but so far it feels like it might be better than Bulge & DDay.  :-D

I’m glad you like it!

• @Krieghund:

Air units don’t contribute to land attack power for purposes of determining control of an island.  Only land and adjacent sea units do, and then only if there is at least one land unit on the island.  In your example, you would retain control of your airfield, so your opponent couldn’t land on it.

Really? Sweet, then I actually won the game! Haha, slightly anti-climactic, but hell, Ill take it.

Hmph, does it say that specifically in the rulebook at all, we looked… but I thought all land combat attack values are added up to see who controls an island. And yer saying, that you cant even use boats to determine island control unless you have at least 1 land unit present.

Very interesting.

-There was another point in the game when my opponent beat me by just 1 point for island control, but most of his points came from the 4-5 bombers that were flying overhead… I think we assumed that since bombers dont return to base until AFTER youve added up island control values, that they must be included. It would be better maybe is bombers returned to base before you add up control values…

I must now go and inform my friend that he lost. :-P

• Official Q&A

@Shr3dZ:

Hmph, does it say that specifically in the rulebook at all, we looked… but I thought all land combat attack values are added up to see who controls an island. And yer saying, that you cant even use boats to determine island control unless you have at least 1 land unit present.

Very interesting.

Yup, in the section on determining control of islands.

@Shr3dZ:

It would be better maybe is bombers returned to base before you add up control values…

But then your bombers couldn’t land on the airfields you just worked so hard to capture.

• @Shr3dZ:

I like how quick this game will probably go once you get the rules down and a better idea of what strategies you need to execute. It is nice to have a quick game instead of the marathons revised can turn into.

It is easy in all of these games to miss stuff isn’t it? This games very regimented turn structure though I think helps and it makes it a lot easier to say no when someone catches something they forgot.

In my first two games we found ourselves picking up a lot of FTRs to. My opponent had troubles with all the FTRs going down. His A&A Classic trained brain isn’t used to FTRs being disposable.

I think each side needs an additional AC at this point in the first turn but I don’t think the addition of more BBs is worth the cost. But I’m thinking that in my future games there will be a more bitter fight for New Georgia and those extra dice from the sea might be needed. Maybe get them from Cruisers though instead of the Battleships?

• @frimmel:

I think each side needs an additional AC at this point in the first turn but I don’t think the addition of more BBs is worth the cost. But I’m thinking that in my future games there will be a more bitter fight for New Georgia and those extra dice from the sea might be needed. Maybe get them from Cruisers though instead of the Battleships?

Many of the players I play with are Classic A&A thinkers too but they also have been happy with the mighty sea battles that this game offers and let me tell you the Yamato or Iowa adds a hefty amount to the fights off New Georgia, in our recent blowout game the IJN sported 3 BB’s, 2 CV’s and about 5 cruisers in its rout of the USN, the Japanese player wanted to go for the knockout by overpowering the wobbly USN. Cruisers are a good buy, especially if you are down in the IPC count.

• I really like the Crusiers, Japan starts with quite a nice compliment. I think I had a nice little stack of 5 with more on the way. I would like to see if more BBs is worth it, more test games are neccessary.

Id also like to try an arty strategy, see how many pot shots you can get at enemy navy, its a pretty cheap way to get an extra sea attack for battles.

I also think it might be a good idea to buy tranies or destroyers and rush supplies (spending extra) to have them come out right next to the island you can build an airfield on, makes for a pretty good forward line.

I like how 1 or 2 AAA guns pretty much makes airplanes take some beats before they get to do anything, and if you have a few planes on CAP, faggedaboutit.

I like how all those good vessels are 2 hit aswell, makes you feel less timid about putting them in harms way.

I like how we are back to an economy system, without predetermined reinforcements. Its fun deciding how you want to spend yer RPs.

Classic A&A thinkers will probably default to buying more ACs than they should, in this game they are 0,0,0 units - that just goes against everything I know about A&A.

• I think the biggest question on additional Carriers is whether you want your home base FTRs in the fight now or want to wait till you suffer some losses and bring them up as replacements?

At the moment I’m inclined to get at least 1 AC so some can get in the fight on turn 2. But it is still early days with this game.

• IN Axis and Allies Guadalcanal,
    Can hit air units in land or sea attack; sea units in air or land attack or land units (artillery) in sea attack?
    Tanks you!

:?
                                      Dante Pisa Italia

• There is a phase for Air, Naval, and land combat. During each phase only that type of unit is hit. During each phase ALL units with a Air attack for example may add their dice to the attack.

Say you have a zone after movement that has 2 fighters, 1 Bomber, and a battleship in it for the US and the same for the Japanese. During the air attack phase the planes will attack each other and the ships will attack the planes. But only planes will be lost during this phase. Then any planes that survive and the Battleship will attack the enemy battleship. Only the battleships can be hit in this phase.

It works similarly on land.

Just follow the phases on the reference card the phase determines what units are hit. A unit adds attack dice if it has an attack value for the units in the phase you are on even if they shot in an earlier phase. Battleships can attack Air, Sea and Land phase but AA only attack during air.

Does that clear things up?  :-)

• Yes it’s clear

thank you

:-)                Dante Pisa Italia

• @frimmel:

At the moment I’m inclined to get at least 1 AC so some can get in the fight on turn 2. But it is still early days with this game.

As am I. You can get more fighters into enemy territory further away to cause distruptions with trannies and such.

With a more defensive strategy, you could still have fighters on CAP over yer navy without any extra carriers. Perhaps the USA is in a better position to do this, seeing as they start closer to the second 2-airfield island, plus they have plenty of bombers at the start aswell. Might be worth checking out…

• One more question to ask, Im sure I say it here answered in a different thread but:

What happens to cargo on a destroyer when its only damaged? I seem to recall it gets destroyed, but dont quote me.

TIA~

• @Shr3dZ:

One more question to ask, Im sure I say it here answered in a different thread but:

What happens to cargo on a destroyer when its only damaged? I seem to recall it gets destroyed, but dont quote me.

TIA~

You can be quoted because that is what happens to it.  :-)

I have seen Krieghund say it a couple of places and he is pretty much always correct.

• Official Q&A

Yup, it’s on pages 19 and 20 of the Operations Manual.

• Ok, one more question:

At the beginning of the game, Japan has at least 1 unit on each island. In the case of Choiseul or Santa Isabel, if you remove that single infantry, do you lose control? Do the reinforcement points suddenly go to the natives? Or is it still yours until someone else lands a unit on it, hence the Japanese flag icon indicating you have control in the box with the single unit?

Second part:

If you have 1 AAA on and island, since it has no land attack value, can it keep control of an island for you?

TIA!

• @Shr3dZ:

Ok, one more question:

At the beginning of the game, Japan has at least 1 unit on each island. In the case of Choiseul or Santa Isabel, if you remove that single infantry, do you lose control? Do the reinforcement points suddenly go to the natives? Or is it still yours until someone else lands a unit on it, hence the Japanese flag icon indicating you have control in the box with the single unit?

If the US player has no ground units on that islands, than you keep control.

Second part:
    If you have 1 AAA on and island, since it has no land attack value, can it keep control of an island for you?

If the other player has no units on that island: Yes.
    If the other player has land units on that island, but your navy near that island has in summary more supporting points than your enemy with ground units and navy: Yes.

In short: You only lose control of an island if the enemy has ground units on it and the dice value of enemy force is bigger than yours. Naval units only count if there is at least one ground unit (can be an AA gun) on island. Air units not count in.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m