• RJ,

I undestand your point about phased game play.  However, playing with a computer utlity is HARDLY comparable to playing FTF.  For one thing, when I am playing face to face, I’m not having to look at the map like I am THIS CLOSE to the board!!!  I have the ability to “zoom out” and look at the map as a whole.  I am MUCH less likely to miss my British transport on the corner of the board in sz42 when playing FTF than when playing Triple A where I have to scroll like crazy to see the whole board.  I agree that there should be some limit to how many changes you can make and that some folks are more anal about this than others, but I think it should be an option that can be turned on or off depending on your preference.  For me, taking advantage of another player’s goof from a moment’s inattention is far less satisfying than beating them straight up.

Now that I think of it, please add a “zoom out” feature to your list of requested fixes!  :-)

• 2007 AAR League

RJ = TripleA God?

• 2007 AAR League

@AJGundam:

RJ = TripleA God?

Uh, no.

RJ = brother of TripleA god :mrgreen:

• 2007 AAR League

@SpartanJD01:

RJ

I downloaded the current stable version of TripleA about 3 weeks ago.  i don’t see any edit features.  Is that only on the version you are testing or is it also on the unstable version listed on the triplea website?

Thanks

Hi Spartan.  Sourceforge doesn’t have the version that we’re using.  That’s why all development effort at the moment is focussed on adding these to the TripleA project over at sourceforge.  In the meantime, if you want a peek about what this is all about, check out Frood’s game queue in Find Players and Game Discussion, here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=9497.0

Cheers.

• 2007 AAR League

Thanks rjclayton.

This version of tripleA that is floating around is actually more of an alpha then a beta since there are missing features as well as known bugs, as you’ve all found.  Furthermore, I should mention that the original caveat with using this version was that the entire “Edit” tab on the right-hand side should not be used yet, as it is an early work in progress.  I believe there are stability issues with using the remove unit feature in that version and you might corrupt your game data by using it, so be warned.
    However, I expected to have my changes into sourceforge by now so that you all could be using a stable version instead of passing around this somewhat-alpha version, but I’ve been otherwise occupied in life and haven’t done much tripleA stuff in quite some time.  I have the entire week off work next week and getting caught up with tripleA development is on my list of things to do.

The zoom-out feature is already implemented in the latest version (perhaps the unstable version) on sourceforge.  When edit mode is enabled I will be adding visual cues to the (non)combat move phases and any other affected phases (in the form of a map overlay graphic) that remind you that you are in edit mode.  I’m sure everything will become more intuitive once the edit feature is finished.  I will also likely add a section in the Help for edit mode.

In the meantime, thanks for patience and have fun with tripleA!

• 2007 AAR League

@rjclayton:

RJ = brother of TripleA god :mrgreen:

Uh, I wasn’t talking about you here Tonez  :|……I was talking about my other brother (he doesn’t need a bigger head than he already has  :roll:)

• 2007 AAR League

@tonez:

The zoom-out feature is already implemented in the latest version (perhaps the unstable version) on sourceforge.  When edit mode is enabled I will be adding visual cues to the (non)combat move phases and any other affected phases (in the form of a map overlay graphic) that remind you that you are in edit mode.  I’m sure everything will become more intuitive once the edit feature is finished.  I will also likely add a section in the Help for edit mode.

Just for fun I d/l the new stable tripleA (0.9.0.2) from triplea.sourceforge.net and gave the zoom feature a whirl.  Gamer, I think you will like this new feature VERY MUCH.  It is very flexible, you just punch in whatever percentage you want to zoom to and voila.  I think shrinking it to 50-60% of normal will solve these problems (I would also recommend increasing the unit size when zooming out).

Now we just wait for the TripleA god to add the PBEM features to the project so we can use the new zoom :wink:

• 2007 AAR League

Hey RJ
    Just wanted to say that I think you’ve done a great job developing something like TripleA this far! (GK+1, but should be more like +100  :-D)

I asked a few questions in the Revised thread, and I got the answer to one of two questions in your response above (concerning edits).

RJ, I would be very interested to hear the latest news in the project! Or is there some other forum or thread where this is being discussed?

Cheers / Perry

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Maybe I screwed up a setting, but TripleA won’t let me move old fighters onto new carriers period.  It will let me put new fighters on new carriers.  But not new fighters on old carriers or old fighters on new carriers.

Any idea what setting I screwed up?

• You’re not doing anything wrong –that’s just a bug with Triple A.  You can have your opponent move them to the carriers on teh next move in edit mode.

• 2007 AAR League

@Cmdr:

Maybe I screwed up a setting, but TripleA won’t let me move old fighters onto new carriers period.  It will let me put new fighters on new carriers.  But not new fighters on old carriers or old fighters on new carriers.

Any idea what setting I screwed up?

You can put old fighters on new carriers, but you have to land the planes first. Then in unit placement if you have planes landed next to the SZ where you put the AC, it will ask you if you want to move the fighters onto the carrier. Not sure if they have to be in the territory with the IC though.

Doesn’t do that for me.  I’ve tried landing 2 fighters in E. Europe, Germany and W. Europe and England and no carrier I build in any sea zone seems to ask me if I want to add fighters.  Dunno.  Screwed up program.  It won’t even open maps which is why I don’t use it for games. (That and I can’t see enough of the board at a time.)

• I think you need to uninstall and reinstall TripleA.

In the version of TripleA I am using, the existing FIGs that you want to place on a new AC have to be in the territory containing the IC that you are using to build the AC.  Then, when you place the AC, a pop-up box appears and asks how many FIGs you want to move to the AC.

• 2007 AAR League

@Cmdr:

Doesn’t do that for me.  I’ve tried landing 2 fighters in E. Europe, Germany and W. Europe and England and no carrier I build in any sea zone seems to ask me if I want to add fighters.  Dunno.  Screwed up program.  It won’t even open maps which is why I don’t use it for games. (That and I can’t see enough of the board at a time.)

What do you mean by “it won’t open maps”? You have to have the same version installed as the version that created the map. The patched version is 0.8.0.2, while the newest release is something like 0.9 something.

Also, the patched version appends a .doc to the save game so that it could be uploaded to this forum. By default when opening saved games, TripleA only lists .tsvg files, so you have to change the “open” dialog to display all files, then it works.

I’m sure we can figure out your problem, it’s not rocket surgery.

I use both 9.1 and 8.2.1

Neither opens maps, well, they didn’t open Switch’s map.  They work just fine when I open a self only game.

• I am using 8.2.2

You have a link for 8.2.2?

Cause I want to learn how to use TripleA for online play if I can.  Though, I dont know if I’ll ever give up my love for battlemap. :)

• 2007 AAR League

Click on the “Maps” page from my AACalc page for a DL link.

I assume its the one labeled “patched”

After DLing that and extracting it, what do you do with it?  Drop it over the 8.2.1 or what?  I don’t see a self-extracting installation program on it.

• 2007 AAR League

Just unzip the whole file - it contains the entire patched game. Run the .exe file to run the game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m