• Has anyone noticed the following glitches with Triple A:

1. It won’t let you move a fighter 3 moves to a seazone without an adjacent friendly territory unless you move an AC within range DURING YOUR COMBAT MOVE!

2. It won’t let you land planes on newly built carriers

3. It won’t let you build planes on newly built carries (not 100% sure about this one, but believe it to be the case).

It’s my understanding Triple A started out as a utility to play the Classic A&A Game and that the Revised module was added later.  It looks like they got some, but not all, of the rule changes implemented.  Is there a patch out there to fix any of these glitches?

Thanks,
    G

• 2007 AAR League

1. It is complicated to add AC logic to the game.  There was some talk about adding an AC tracker to perform this functionality, but it hasn’t happened yet.  The fix is easy though (so it is low on the priority list).  Move the AC during combat move, then move the fighter, then undo the AC move.  The fighter will stay.

2. LHTR is not implemented in TripleA (yet).  OOB rules allow you to land planes in a territory with an industrial complex, then during your MOBILIZE phase this fighter can be moved to a new carrier.  99% of the time a fighter that could reach the seazone could also reach the IC territory.  So just use OOB implementation for this.  The few times where the fighter can’t reach the IC territory but can reach the sea zone (so couldn’t land on the AC with OOB but could with LHTR) use an edit to get the fighter to the AC.  Easy fix.

3. This is supported, try it out!

Development is ongoing for TripleA, so as these are fixed new versions will be released.  Check back to this forum for info on new releases.

• rj, the edit feature on my Triple A doesn’t work for shit.  Are there instructions somewhere for using the edit feature?  Is there a patch for the edit feature?  I seriously cannot figure out HOW to move a unit or add one.  I can delete a unit, but if I can’t add one, that doesn’t seem to help.  :|

• 2007 AAR League

Hey Gamer,

The edit feature is still being developed.  Eventually I believe the plan was to be able to add units, but currently that part is not implemented.  The current edit features are as follows:
    Purchase - no functionality
    Combat move - edit allows you to bypass the normal movement restrictions.  You can move ships onto land, infantry into the sea, move aircraft 8 spaces, etc.  It also allows you to move an opponent’s pieces.  Use this if your opponent forgot to move something in their turn.
    Combat - edit allows you to bypass dice, and choose battle casualties manually.  If you roll a battle outside of tripleA (say using DAAK or the inhouse dicey) you could edit the battle results manually after the rolls.  Or if you need to “fix” an outcome for some other reason you can do that here.  This can also be used for LHTR heavy bomber combats (since LHTR bombers are not implemented), you can roll the combat separately and fix the results here.
    Non-combat move - edit has same functionality as combat move
    Mobilize - no functionality

I don’t know if you are aware or not, but this version of TripleA isn’t even a real release of the TripleA open source project.  It’s a beta program based on an old stable release of the project that is in the middle of development and was being playtested by 4 of us.  It was working so well that we just stopped using the other tools in favour of this.  Word got out and others have now adopted it.  Small bugs exists, yes (work arounds have been detailed for those bugs).  Some features have not yet been implemented, yes.  Documentation is lacking, yes.  But this beta has so far proven to be very stable, and does what it was intended to do.  Which is why we are using it.  In the meantime work is progressing to add all of this new functionality (and more) into the next release of the TripleA open source project.  Stay tuned.  In the meantime if you choose to use this program (as I have) then understand what you are using.  If not feel free to use whatever util you feel more comfortable with.

Even with it’s “bugs” I still prefer this tool to any other I’ve tried, and I have no intention of using any other util to play.

(not quite as good as Frood’s rant, I know)

Hope that helps.

• RJ, thanks, that is helpful.

Sorry, I don’t mean to whine like a little girl, but it’s just been frustrating trying to figure out how to do a simple edit when I see you and Frood editing things all over the place.  Either I’m dumb, or the edit feature is just not intuitive.  The additional tab labelled “Edit” pops up when I enable the edit feature, but for all the good it does, it might as well not even be there.

So let me see if I have this right.  During MY combat move phase, if I have enabled “edit”, I can move my OPPONENT’S pieces too?  I never would have figured that out in a million years.  Why not link this function to the tab labelled “edit”???  I’m no programmer, but is that so hard?  :?  Just put a button that says “Move Pieces” on the “edit” tab that allows you to move anything on the board.  It that complex logic or what?

I also have one other bitch about Triple A while we are at it.  There should be a “back” feature that allows you to go back to a previous phase.  I’m not talking about going back to the combat move phase after already rolling your combats – I mean being able to re-do your noncombat moves after you move to the placement phase.  It happens all the time – I’m building units in my ICs and discover a piece I meant to move.  But I’m stuck using Triple A!  grrrrr.

I do like this application – it is very easy to use.  And I appreciate that it is a work in progress.  I trust you appreciate receiving feedback, even when it’s not all positive.

• 2007 AAR League

Sure, we always appreciate constructive criticism.

The edit tab was added but nothing has been implemented with it yet.  No additional features/changes/fixes are being developed until these existing changes are rolled into the current TripleA project over at sourceforge.net (something to do with a hard drive crashing).  Sorry but that’s just the way it is.  Stay tuned for when that happens.  Once that happens I am hopeful that all of these little glitches will get themselves worked out in short order.

I also would like to see the turn structure be a little more forgiving, as you have described.  I am sure that will be coming as well.  Until it does we have workarounds for that (the edit mode).  If it gets too onerous and you find you are always editing, you can always switch back to another util until TripleA meets your standards.

But do remember, TripleA was built as a game engine to strictly enforce phase based play.  If you play a FTF game of chess, and your opponent touches a piece they are then committed to moving that piece.  Once they release the piece that becomes their move, no going back.  Same in FTF Axis and Allies, once a phase is completed and a new phase begins, there is no going back.  Many players will enforce this FTF.  If your opponent agrees to move pieces for you after the fact, fine.  But some opponents might not like you to keep backing up to previous phases and making changes.

Anyway, feel free to continue to post other changes/fixes/requests in here and once new development recommences I’m sure all of these issues will be addressed.

• RJ

I downloaded the current stable version of TripleA about 3 weeks ago.  i don’t see any edit features.  Is that only on the version you are testing or is it also on the unstable version listed on the triplea website?

Thanks

• RJ,

I undestand your point about phased game play.  However, playing with a computer utlity is HARDLY comparable to playing FTF.  For one thing, when I am playing face to face, I’m not having to look at the map like I am THIS CLOSE to the board!!!  I have the ability to “zoom out” and look at the map as a whole.  I am MUCH less likely to miss my British transport on the corner of the board in sz42 when playing FTF than when playing Triple A where I have to scroll like crazy to see the whole board.  I agree that there should be some limit to how many changes you can make and that some folks are more anal about this than others, but I think it should be an option that can be turned on or off depending on your preference.  For me, taking advantage of another player’s goof from a moment’s inattention is far less satisfying than beating them straight up.

Now that I think of it, please add a “zoom out” feature to your list of requested fixes!  :-)

• 2007 AAR League

RJ = TripleA God?

• 2007 AAR League

@AJGundam:

RJ = TripleA God?

Uh, no.

RJ = brother of TripleA god :mrgreen:

• 2007 AAR League

@SpartanJD01:

RJ

I downloaded the current stable version of TripleA about 3 weeks ago.  i don’t see any edit features.  Is that only on the version you are testing or is it also on the unstable version listed on the triplea website?

Thanks

Hi Spartan.  Sourceforge doesn’t have the version that we’re using.  That’s why all development effort at the moment is focussed on adding these to the TripleA project over at sourceforge.  In the meantime, if you want a peek about what this is all about, check out Frood’s game queue in Find Players and Game Discussion, here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=9497.0

Cheers.

• 2007 AAR League

Thanks rjclayton.

This version of tripleA that is floating around is actually more of an alpha then a beta since there are missing features as well as known bugs, as you’ve all found.  Furthermore, I should mention that the original caveat with using this version was that the entire “Edit” tab on the right-hand side should not be used yet, as it is an early work in progress.  I believe there are stability issues with using the remove unit feature in that version and you might corrupt your game data by using it, so be warned.
    However, I expected to have my changes into sourceforge by now so that you all could be using a stable version instead of passing around this somewhat-alpha version, but I’ve been otherwise occupied in life and haven’t done much tripleA stuff in quite some time.  I have the entire week off work next week and getting caught up with tripleA development is on my list of things to do.

The zoom-out feature is already implemented in the latest version (perhaps the unstable version) on sourceforge.  When edit mode is enabled I will be adding visual cues to the (non)combat move phases and any other affected phases (in the form of a map overlay graphic) that remind you that you are in edit mode.  I’m sure everything will become more intuitive once the edit feature is finished.  I will also likely add a section in the Help for edit mode.

In the meantime, thanks for patience and have fun with tripleA!

• 2007 AAR League

@rjclayton:

RJ = brother of TripleA god :mrgreen:

Uh, I wasn’t talking about you here Tonez  :|……I was talking about my other brother (he doesn’t need a bigger head than he already has  :roll:)

• 2007 AAR League

@tonez:

The zoom-out feature is already implemented in the latest version (perhaps the unstable version) on sourceforge.  When edit mode is enabled I will be adding visual cues to the (non)combat move phases and any other affected phases (in the form of a map overlay graphic) that remind you that you are in edit mode.  I’m sure everything will become more intuitive once the edit feature is finished.  I will also likely add a section in the Help for edit mode.

Just for fun I d/l the new stable tripleA (0.9.0.2) from triplea.sourceforge.net and gave the zoom feature a whirl.  Gamer, I think you will like this new feature VERY MUCH.  It is very flexible, you just punch in whatever percentage you want to zoom to and voila.  I think shrinking it to 50-60% of normal will solve these problems (I would also recommend increasing the unit size when zooming out).

Now we just wait for the TripleA god to add the PBEM features to the project so we can use the new zoom :wink:

• 2007 AAR League

Hey RJ
    Just wanted to say that I think you’ve done a great job developing something like TripleA this far! (GK+1, but should be more like +100  :-D)

I asked a few questions in the Revised thread, and I got the answer to one of two questions in your response above (concerning edits).

RJ, I would be very interested to hear the latest news in the project! Or is there some other forum or thread where this is being discussed?

Cheers / Perry

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Maybe I screwed up a setting, but TripleA won’t let me move old fighters onto new carriers period.  It will let me put new fighters on new carriers.  But not new fighters on old carriers or old fighters on new carriers.

Any idea what setting I screwed up?

• You’re not doing anything wrong –that’s just a bug with Triple A.  You can have your opponent move them to the carriers on teh next move in edit mode.

• 2007 AAR League

@Cmdr:

Maybe I screwed up a setting, but TripleA won’t let me move old fighters onto new carriers period.  It will let me put new fighters on new carriers.  But not new fighters on old carriers or old fighters on new carriers.

Any idea what setting I screwed up?

You can put old fighters on new carriers, but you have to land the planes first. Then in unit placement if you have planes landed next to the SZ where you put the AC, it will ask you if you want to move the fighters onto the carrier. Not sure if they have to be in the territory with the IC though.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Doesn’t do that for me.  I’ve tried landing 2 fighters in E. Europe, Germany and W. Europe and England and no carrier I build in any sea zone seems to ask me if I want to add fighters.  Dunno.  Screwed up program.  It won’t even open maps which is why I don’t use it for games. (That and I can’t see enough of the board at a time.)

• I think you need to uninstall and reinstall TripleA.

In the version of TripleA I am using, the existing FIGs that you want to place on a new AC have to be in the territory containing the IC that you are using to build the AC.  Then, when you place the AC, a pop-up box appears and asks how many FIGs you want to move to the AC.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m