RULE CLARIFICATION: Italy DOWs Moves to E. Poland - Germany Moves Doesn't DOW

• '18 '17 '16

@ShadowHAwk:

@GeneralHandGrenade:

Thanks variance.

They need to change the Pacific rule book if they want to interpret the rule that way. I did notice a difference between the 2 rulebooks and it appears that they are taking the Europe interpretation. I wish they would just make a Global rulebook and put all of the rules in there so there wouldn’t be 2 different rules regarding the same situation. I wonder if there are other examples where the rules don’t line up.

Well the rules are clear, you cannot move into or through russian countries. The country isnt russian when its italian.

The pacific situation is quite different as russia isnt a player there at all and the area is basicaly classified as unpassable for the game.

Check the Pacific book under the Soviet Union Political Situations. It specifically says ANY originally controlled Soviet territories. How clear is that?

• GHG, it is not controlled by the Soviets…How clear is that…It is Italian controlled

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Hey guys, what happens if Italy declares war, Germany rolls into Italian controlled former Communist territory without declaring war, and casually parks a sub in z125?  Chew on that one.

• It blows my mind that people can’t interpret that….it is so clear…situation like this I would stand my ground…I am pretty flexible in most cases…but stuff like this…nope

• SZ 125 would not be effected and Russia would collect their bonus…German sub is neutral to the Russians

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

axis warship

• It is neutral though. Not at war with Russia yet. My opinion on that…just logic

Kinda like Finland in Global War 36…an attack by the Russians on a Finnish territory with German occupants is not a deceleration of war on Germany but the German troops can defend.

• '18 '17 '16

@Leatherneckinlv:

GHG, it is not controlled by the Soviets…How clear is that…It is Italian controlled

The key word in the phrase is “originally” controlled. That means a territory on the board that contains a roundel belonging to a nation when the game began, in this case Russia. I accept the fact that the rule was changed when they wrote the Europe rule book. No problem. However, don’t put me down because the rule was written wrong in the Japan rule book. I didn’t write the book.
    You’re not stating what the rule book says, you’re just spewing your opinion of what you think the Japan rule book should say.
    Read the book instead of putting me down.

• I am not spewing anything….quite clear to me it is an Italian territory now…I totally disagree with your stance as that also comes from the Pacific rule book making it irrelevant…the fighting on the European side is quite different…I interpret that to apply at the least to the Japanese. In my game that would be allowed. Baffles me that a control marker would not be sufficient to explain who owns that territory…My opinion is you are wrong on this one GHG… I don’t say this in a confrontational tone…I say this as my opinion that I stand by…If you were playing just Europe…then what?..So that rule from Pacific becomes insignificant

• Does make me wonder how this would be resolved at Young Grasshoppers tournament….Situations like this with so many games are bound to occur

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Well Larry Harris himself will be there to correct any misconceptions

• '19 '17 '16

@GeneralHandGrenade:

I don’t think that’s correct but I could be wrong. Even though it doesn’t explicitly say that in the Germany Political Situations it does say something the Soviet Union Political Situations section.

Specifically speaking, it states that while they are not at war with Russia;
    " (Germany and Italy) may not move units into or through any original Soviet territories or Soviet controlled territories."

Remember that nobody, not even their allies, are allowed to move into Soviet territories, nor can they move out of them. So Germany would have to declare war on Russia in order to move there, even on a ncm.

Hi GHG, that is referring to a situation that USSR is at peace with the European Axis. If Italy and USSR are at war, then the clause does not apply.

BTW, I can’t find that exact wording in the pacific rules.

• Another situation, SZ 113 and those Islands there Germany could build a 2nd AB and place them there for a scramble,and Infantry….This is why I think a Global rule book is in need. I stopped playing OOB rules until recently, getting myself familiar for Young grasshoppers tournament. When I first started playing OOB earlier this year…I was making tons of mistakes. At times I clearly understood why I stopped playing OOB…there are a ton of frustrating situations that develop with the OOB rules. There are also a ton of situations that I don’t like. The best solution I came up with is simplicity.
    As in this case the Italians clearly hold the territory. Germans may move into Italian territories. Simple…end it right there. My 2 cents worth on rules that are gray in explanation.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

those islands are part of Denmark

• I know….but technically they are a separate land mass distinctly defined by the water dividing them. Nothing states you can’t place an AB there or occupy it. It has never come up as a situation in any of my games…just saying

• '19 '17 '16

@Leatherneckinlv:

I know….but technically they are a separate land mass distinctly defined by the water dividing them. Nothing states you can’t place an AB there or occupy it. It has never come up as a situation in any of my games…just saying

I’m sure there is a rule that an unnamed island isn’t a territory so you can’t.

@Pac:

Islands
    An island or island group is
    a single territory surrounded
    entirely by one or more
    sea zones. A sea zone can
    contain at most one island
    or island group, which is
    considered one territory.
    It’s not possible to split up
    land-based units so that they
    are on different islands in
    the same group. Islands that
    have no name label, such
    as the one in sea zone 1, are
    not game spaces and may not have units moved onto them.

I suppose it doesn’t specifically say you can’t build a base but it is pretty clearly inferred. Such a base could never be conquered.

• So technically you can….me thinks…my point though is how lots of rules are left to interpretation…people read and see things differently…rules in my opinion have to be so clear that it can’t be questioned wit…“but” “or” “if”

• Those islands are not separate territories, thus you can’t build air bases on them.
    Europe rulebook page 8, under the Islands header: “Each territory has a separate name and emblem on it.”

• '17

In addition:

“Only one facility of each type (industrial complex, air base, and naval base) may exist in each territory.”
    page 27 Europe rules

The rules have no wiggle room on this particular point.

• '17

I thought I was right.

But here is my next question, if Russia doesn’t DOW on Germany, can it attack the lone Italian tank and reclaim e. Poland while co-locating with other German troops?

Kind of like subs from opposing nations, but not yet at war occupying the same sea zone. Gamism comparison here, not real life (don’t @ me that sea zone represent thousands of square nautical miles…ect).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m