• What’s the reasoning behind the G1 purchase of 1 aircraft carrier, 1 destroyer, and 1 submarine as opposed to 1 aircraft carrier and 2 transports?

• Sponsor

@Fruitcake17:

What’s the reasoning behind the G1 purchase of 1 aircraft carrier, 1 destroyer, and 1 submarine as opposed to 1 aircraft carrier and 2 transports?

It’s all about future motive… one is an attacking fleet, the other is a landing fleet (although both can become either with future naval purchases).

Welcome to the forums.

• Thanks for the welcome!

haha I was just watching your February Game Summary YoungGrasshopper.

It seems to me that the 2 transports are good because they offer more flexibility. They can be used logistically for Barbarossa by getting slow units to the front faster. Or the transports can be simply be used in Sea Lion. And later in the game the transports are needed to defend Norway.

The destroyer is used for Russian subs, and the submarine is the Russian NO in sz125, right? In my opinion, those are less important objectives than getting troops to the Eastern Front ASAP.

• Sponsor

@Fruitcake17:

Thanks for the welcome!

haha I was just watching your February Game Summary YoungGrasshopper.

It seems to me that the 2 transports are good because they offer more flexibility. They can be used logistically for Barbarossa by getting slow units to the front faster. Or the transports can be simply be used in Sea Lion. And later in the game the transports are needed to defend Norway.

The destroyer is used for Russian subs, and the submarine is the Russian NO in sz125, right? In my opinion, those are less important objectives than getting troops to the Eastern Front ASAP.

LOL, Awesome… thanks for tuning in.

I like the sub and destroyer buy if I have plans to take Gibraltar G2 and squeeze into the Med as a means to help Italy… If the German navy doesn’t get into the Med, and Sealion is off the table… their fleet will float in the Baltic all game.

• Not buying a DD means you are at the mercy of the Russian Subs. The one in the Baltic could take out  your TTs if they stay there.

• You should watch some of Adam’s Germany plans in League games.  He has some nefarious orders including bringing the fleet around into the Med to prevent subs from convoy raiding.  The small fleet is also sufficient to take Gibraltar on the journey there.  Other people use a limited Axis fleet to convoy raid the UK.

After G1, focus on taking Moscow or heading to the oilfields.  The time is ticking to get the Axis income close to the Allied income.  I have seen too many people lose as Axis because Germany gets in a fleet building competition with the United States.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m