Belief-o-matic: What is your religion (or non-religion)

• It said i should be Jewish. right now i am christian.  a distant tenth place. 
    1. Orthodox Judaism (100%)  (makes less sense)
    2. Reform Judaism (96%)      (makes more sense)
    3. Sikhism (94%)                  (not really)       
    4. Islam (92%)                    (wtf, not that conservitive)
    ….  5. - 9.                                (double wtf)
    10. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant  (66%)  ( chruch of england)

• @dezrtfish:

Aparently I go for Theravada Buddhism, I have no idea what that it, but it must be the bomb digity!

are you monotheistic? because that is polythestic.

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

Us Pagans are taking over the world!

Don’t think so!!!

Secular Humanist has four votes so far.

• 2007 AAR League

@Baghdaddy:

@froodster:

You can have up to three votes. Make sure to use the test at http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

I wonder if some will find some surprises?

I came out Secular Humanist (100%)

I DO NOT want this to become a debate between different beliefs. Let’s just find out what we are.

Anyway though, here’s the description of secular humanists:

Belief in Deity
    Not considered important. Most Humanists are atheists or agnostics.

• Incarnations
    Same as above.

• Origin of Universe and Life
    The scientific method is most respected as the means for revealing the mysteries of the origins of the universe and life.

• After Death
    An afterlife or spiritual existence after death is not recognized.

• Why Evil?
    No concept of “evil.” Reasons for wrongdoing are explored through scientific methods, e.g. through study of sociology, psychology, criminology.

• Salvation
    No concept of afterlife or spiritual liberation or salvation. Realizing ones personal potential and working for the betterment of humanity through ethical consciousness and social works are considered paramount, but from a naturalistic rather than supernatural standpoint.

• Undeserved Suffering
    No spiritual reasons but rather a matter of human vulnerability to misfortune, illness, and victimization.

• Contemporary Issues
    The American Humanist Association endorses elective abortion. Other contemporary views include working for equality for homosexuals, gender equality, a secular approach to divorce and remarriage, working to end poverty, promoting peace and nonviolence, and environmental protection.

That makes two of us.

That makes 3 of us

• 2007 AAR League

@ezto:

@Baghdaddy:

@froodster:

You can have up to three votes. Make sure to use the test at http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

I wonder if some will find some surprises?

I came out Secular Humanist (100%)

I DO NOT want this to become a debate between different beliefs. Let’s just find out what we are.

Anyway though, here’s the description of secular humanists:

Belief in Deity
    Not considered important. Most Humanists are atheists or agnostics.

• Incarnations
    Same as above.

• Origin of Universe and Life
    The scientific method is most respected as the means for revealing the mysteries of the origins of the universe and life.

• After Death
    An afterlife or spiritual existence after death is not recognized.

• Why Evil?
    No concept of “evil.” Reasons for wrongdoing are explored through scientific methods, e.g. through study of sociology, psychology, criminology.

• Salvation
    No concept of afterlife or spiritual liberation or salvation. Realizing ones personal potential and working for the betterment of humanity through ethical consciousness and social works are considered paramount, but from a naturalistic rather than supernatural standpoint.

• Undeserved Suffering
    No spiritual reasons but rather a matter of human vulnerability to misfortune, illness, and victimization.

• Contemporary Issues
    The American Humanist Association endorses elective abortion. Other contemporary views include working for equality for homosexuals, gender equality, a secular approach to divorce and remarriage, working to end poverty, promoting peace and nonviolence, and environmental protection.

That makes two of us.

That makes 3 of us

Actually JWW is also Secular Humanist for four and there is an unidentified 5th vote.  Nearest other group is 2 votes.  >20% of the board is Secular Humanist.

• @cyan:

It said i should be Jewish. right now i am christian.  a distant tenth place. 
    2. Reform Judaism (96%)       (makes more sense)
    4. Islam (92%)                     (wtf, not that conservitive)

That is pretty funny CYAN.  :lol:  I wonder what your parents or grandparents would think of this :? I’ll send you the old testament, in hebrew,  :lol:  for you to review.

• @JWW:

@cyan:

It said i should be Jewish. right now i am christian.  a distant tenth place. 
    2. Reform Judaism (96%)      (makes more sense)
    4. Islam (92%)                    (wtf, not that conservitive)

That is pretty funny CYAN.  :lol:  I wonder what your parents or grandparents would think of this :? I’ll send you the old testament, in hebrew,  :lol:  for you to review.

my grandma was a jew so that would by some crazy rule make me jewish so she would be happy knowing she could be long dead have a catholic daughter and still have a grandkid who should be jewish. I personally don’t belief a man can be God’s equal. I read the first commandement.  :roll: but what i heard about judaism actually makes sense. Isn’t the Torah basically the old testement but in Hebrew?

• 2007 AAR League

The Torah is the original Bible. The “New testament” is the Christian Bible (which the followers of Jesus, who happened to be Jews, wrote).

• Don;t get too upset about it Cyan…

Just think of yourself as an “Old School Christian”  :-D

• Scientology  - 1 (4.5%

okay who put this?

• 2007 AAR League

Tom cruise. You didnt know he posted here?

• '19 Moderator

@cyan:

@dezrtfish:

Aparently I go for Theravada Buddhism, I have no idea what that it, but it must be the bomb digity!

are you monotheistic? because that is polythestic.

I’m pretty much non-theistic, but poly sounds way more fun…

• I am a Mormon or LDS to be politically correct. It came up second on my list at 96%. Then every thing from Orthodox Judaism to Islam to “Baha i Faith” comes before Catholic. No wonder my wife and I have heated debate over religion.

-LT04

• 2007 AAR League

@cyan:

Scientology  - 1 (4.5%

Â

okay who put this?

Jen.

:-D

• 2007 AAR League

My top 10 results.

1. Secular Humanism (100%) 
    2.  Unitarian Universalism (100%) 
    3.  Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (90%) 
    4.  Neo-Pagan (89%) 
    5.  Nontheist (88%) 
    6.  Reform Judaism (86%) 
    7.  Liberal Quakers (85%) 
    8.  New Age (78%) 
    9.  Theravada Buddhism (75%) 
    10.  New Thought (69%)

Apparantly scientology camo on 11th place with like 64%  :-o

• 2007 AAR League

whats up with that?  scientology should be at the bottom for everyone, like it was for me.  i’m wary of beliefs that lead to scientology.

• 2007 AAR League

@balungaloaf:

whats up with that?  scientology should be at the bottom for everyone, like it was for me.  i’m wary of beliefs that lead to scientology.

That’s funny - I’m wary of people who say what other people’s beliefs should be.

• 2007 AAR League

i’m not saying what they should be.  on the contrary, i’m saying what they shouldnt be.  and what peoples belief system shouldnt be is scientology.

• With as different as Scientology is (based on my pitiful understanding of it as an outsider), I actually am also surprised that Scientology is not an “all or nothing” in terms of percentages on a religion survey.

There is SO LITTLE common ground between it an almost any other religion (whereas even Paganism and Catholicism are actually not THAT far apart) that I would think Scientology would either be nearl 100%, or near 0% for almost everyone.  That it is hitting in the middle for everyone just seems… ODD.

• @balungaloaf:

i’m not saying what they should be.  on the contrary, i’m saying what they shouldnt be.  and what peoples belief system shouldnt be is scientology.

Why?

Your beliefs are no more valid than the next guy’s/gal’s.  There is no authority on this…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m