• 2007 AAR League

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-selling-the-settlement,0,7176196.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

the shakedown continues.  there is never any proof, just one persons word against anothers, and when the accuser gets paid a lot of money for winning his/her case  - no one ever seems to question a conflict of interest.  want to make an easy million?  blame a priest for molesting you, then sue the church and take money right from the people who pay for services for the poor etc.  hell you dont even have to of been molested, just say you were.  instant millionare.  the news has helped sway americans(jurors) brains about how it must always be true about the pedophile priests that these accusers always win.

now truth be told, anyone who was molested i would like to see them get justice, but dont most molesters go to jail or something.  get punished by the law.  i find it very funny that these accusers dont want the priests to be legally punished, all they want is money.  does no one understand how odd that is?

the plan is to try and bankrupt as many dioceses as possilbe.  i dont know why people want to do it, but there has been a steady and liberal tolerated hatred and bigotry against catholics.  its ok for liberals to say the pope is evil and going to hell, so nasty to say, and liberals tolerate it.  its weird. liberals love to demean the things they do, and they never get called out for being intolerant.  how did the media brainwash so many people.

now people have to dig into their own pockets for something they didnt do, and liberals, democrats, and the media must just love it.

again for molestation without any proof what-so-ever, why are all the accusers after the money, and not for legal punishment?

the air of anti christian and anti catholic sentiment is growing in liberal land.

• I think the Vatican has the cash to spare…

Who knows, if the corporate hierarchy has to pay for it, perhaps next time they will do a better job of policing their own, instead of just sending them to a knew place with fresh victims to molest…

• 2007 AAR League

its an unwarranted shakedown.

and whoever is cool with it, is lower than slime.  and need not complain about anything, b/c anything they get is karma.

there is NO PROOF.  i’m sure some were, by why not throw the priest in jail.  why take the donors money…  its like taxpayers, these people arent taking some big heirarchies money.  they are just taking the regular catholics cash which they donate.  its dishonest and a liberal ploy, once again showing anti-christian values.

i dont want to hear any liberals talk about tolerance…  only idiot brainwashed liberals would ever think that they are tolerant.  i think they know they arent but just say so as a shield.

• Then why sue ANY company for any reason?

You are injured by a defective product?  Why take the shareholder’s money in a law suit?  That is the argument you are making.

Based on the sheer NUMBERS of the sexual abuse cases of children by Priests, it is obvious that there is a systemic problem within the Catholic Church.  Hundreds of cases each in more than a dozen diocese.  THOUSANDS of sexually abused children, and when the church hierarchy found out about them n the past, they just MOVED THE PRIEST to a new diocese.  The leadership of the church not only did nothing to stop this, with things like moving priets to new areas with fresh victims who knew nothing of the Priest’s past actions, they aided and abetted in child molestation.

I am sorry.  For that they should not only go to jail, but the Church itself needs to be hit where it counts… in their vaults.

And it is up to the members of this church if they are willing to pay the tab for the abuses of these folks.  Like stockholders, they have the option to sell short by refusing to fund pedophilia.

• 2007 AAR League

what proof has been offered to get most of the priests?  only the testitmony of the abused.  and it just so seems that its not to far fetched for someone to lie when they are staring at millions of dollars.  just a thought.  but some people who want to believe every case to be true.

and it seems to be about money, b/c they arent even sending these guys to jail.  whats up with that?

i do know there are bad priests.  and its bad they were just moved and not removed.  it all had to do with this “forgiveness” thing that is supposed to be practiced.  i would of let them be put in jail.  but the priests would say they made a terrrible mistake and then beg not to be kicked out of the church.  some guys would forgive them, when they should have punished them.

i still think this is about the money and the number is overblown b/c how many people in this huge country of ours are willing to make one lie to recieve millions of dollars.  no more work for life after lieing once.  seems easy to me.

and the chuch isnt a company.  when companies run off of donations, let me know.  its become a liberal cultural cliche for the catholic pedophile priest.  one year with tons of media hounding over one case did it.  now all others are guilty, i’m sorry these same liberals who get so mad about people lumping muslims together lump catholic priests together like no tommorrow.  another case of liberal hypocracy.  the only thing liberals are good at.

• @balungaloaf:

and it seems to be about money, b/c they arent even sending these guys to jail.  whats up with that?

That would be because the Statute of Limitations has expired in almost all cases (and in those where it has not, there HAVE been criminal convictions).

As for one person’s word…
    In most cases it is a MASSIVE number of individuals against a single priest.  There are almost no examples of single incident allegations (which would occur pretty frequently if they were mostly about money).
    Also, in most cases, the Preist admits it.

• 2007 AAR League

I just wanted to be the only other person posting in this thread besides you two :wink:

• It’s hard to prove something like that any way. You can’t easily see emotional scars. I can also see why the accused churches (not just Catholics) would like to just make the problem go away. I would think it’s for the bad publicity. I would think you could get some good publicity out of it if you avidly pursued after these creeps and put them behind bars.

I wonder if the state thinks it better to just to award money then to take away the clergymen. To some degree I think ‘they’ feel that is the state crossing into church aspect. That’s very touchy for some. So this way is just easier and dollar justice is served.

Just my thoughts on the matter,

-LT04

• For starters, it is a lot easier to win a case in civil court than it is to win in criminal court. In criminal court you have to prove guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt. As an example the families of the victoms in the Simpson killings won in civil court. O.J. was aquitted in criminal court. Secondly, where is your proof that these people are lying? Since we’re on the subject of proving stuff, where is your proof of this grand liberal scheme? I’ll end with saying that I cannot stomach how quickly people take each other to court in today’s America. If it can ever be proven that any of these people lied, they should get life in prison. I also believe that quite a few lawsuits are somewhat silly these days. I cannot believe that the cases are heard, let alone the fact that people win them (for the record, coffee should be hot, and anyone that doesn’t understand that should be shot and not given $5 million). I’ll stop before I really go off on a tangent.

• 2007 AAR League

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289321,00.html

and again, the shakedown continue’s

anyone want to be a millionare, just lie and say a priest abused you.  it is now the easiest sure-fire way to become a millionare.  to bad the media blitz has already gotten to everyone years ago.  so they cant percieve the epic theft being done.

hell, i’m broke, i’m even thinking about it……no proof needed…perfect.

• Yep, let’s just pay out $600 million for the hell of it.

Goddess forbid they go to trial if they are INNOCENT and pay NOTHING…  :roll:

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ncscswitch:

I think the Vatican has the cash to spare…

Who knows, if the corporate hierarchy has to pay for it, perhaps next time they will do a better job of policing their own, instead of just sending them to a knew place with fresh victims to molest…

Wow.  You sure you arn’t a liberal and anti-capitalist?  That’s almost verbatim right out of the Communist Economic/Market playbook.

We need MAJOR tort reform in this nation.  If it were not for lawsuits, we’d be able to go see the doctor for $10/hr and get major surgery done for a few hundred bucks instead of tens of thousands of dollars.

• No dear, that is TOTALLY Capitalist.

If they have an economic negative occur as a result of failure to apply adequate controls on the performance of their employees while at work, then perhaps they will in the future do a better job of overseeing their employees activities at work.

That is 100% market driven correction… cash being the encouraging factor to prevent their priests from molesting more little boys.

I expect my accountant to be honorable, ethical and to be competent at math and tax law.  If he is not, then there is economic sanction (via litigation and lost business) for failure to do what is expected.
    Why should an organized religious leader be held to any less of a standard (especially with how important organized Christian religion is to so many folks in this nation)… Enron is a MINOR entity to be held accountable for their ethics and performance compared to the Catholic Church, and Enron was ONLY cash, not homosexual abuse of minors…

You want to impose penalties on business from the government.

Totally capitalist would say no government intervention, if the consumers dislike the practices, they won’t shop there and the business will go out of business.

Captialism is punishing Citgo, at least out here.  They’re paying a fortune on advertisements trying to convince Americans here they are a good company to buy for, meanwhile, they are closing up gas stations left and right from the boycott out here.  There’s only 1 out of a dozen + Citgos left on my route.  And none of the affiliates carry their gas anymore.

That is capitalism at work.

Governments “punishing” business “on behalf of the people” whether by court or legislation is communism.

• A law suit is not GOVERNMENT punishment.  It is ARBITRATION.

A neutral party hears the evidence and issue a ruling based on the law.

And in this case the Catholic Church is apparently scared shitless of being found guilty, and thus has settled every single lawsuit rather than face a jury (because they know that they did not keep their priests from abusing little boys perhaps?)

Who appoints the Judge presiding over the case?
    Who pays the Judge presiding over the case?
    Who enforces the judgement of the Judge presiding over the case?

It most assuredly IS government intervention into business practices.  Sometimes it might be warranted, sometimes not.  But it is government intervention either way.

• It is the closest thing to neutral party that we have.

But, based on your view of the Schiavo case in another thread, as well as your posts in other threads, I understand why you vie wthe judiciary as somthing other than a neutral arbitration entity (though I largely disagree with you on that perception)

There are neutral arbiters.  You and the person holding a grudge against you can go out, interview professional arbiters and select one together for a binding resolution.  With that, I’d say you can have a neutral effect from the Government.  They still need government papers, so it is still government intervention into capitalism, but it’s mostly benign at that point.

However, you believe Judges are fair?  Try to fight a speeding ticket, at least in Cook County.

a) Your accuser is not present.  Some officer representing all departments in cook county fills in for him.
    b) Even if you manage to convince the judge you were not speeding, you STILL pay the fine.

Want to make it fair?  Jury trials for every court case, I don’t care if it’s for jay walking.  Judges are limited to determining if evidence is fair and legal and in issuing sentences for convicts.  No more rulings from the bench.

Until then, the judicial system is a tyrannical wing of the US Government.

• Sorry, but when the Arch diocese starts apologizing for the “lost innocence” of people that were sexually abused by priests, call that an open and shut case of ADMITTING that they failed to control their employees.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070716/ap_on_re_us/church_abuse_42

LOS ANGELES - Cardinal Roger Mahony, leader of the nation’s largest Roman Catholic archdiocese, apologized Sunday to the hundreds of people who will get a share of a $660 million settlement over allegations of clergy sex abuse.

“There really is no way to go back and give them that innocence that was taken from them. … The one thing I wish I could give the victims, I cannot,” he said.

“Once again, I apologize to anyone who has been offended, who has been abused. … It should not have happened and should not ever happen again.”

@ncscswitch:

Sorry, but when the Arch diocese starts apologizing for the “lost innocence” of people that were sexually abused by priests, call that an open and shut case of ADMITTING that they failed to control their employees.

Oh yea, forgot, in your world the Catholics are ALL christians.  There are no protestants or luthurens or mormons or non-demoninational or episcipalitans or any other sects, JUST catholics.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m