• I guess you get more stars with a higher postcount.

• Founder TripleA Admin

The little stars are for post count, the big green stars are if you are a moderator.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Back on topic. I’m trying to get some information from Wizards/AH about the next A&A game. I know I’m talking to the right person now but who knows if they’ll give me any information.

• I can only tell you that typically until the financial terms for this game are settled that the author and the producer are typically not going to tell the public anything as per the binding disclosure agreement.

Once this happens and the game is finished ( i suspect it is) Larry will spill the beans.

He asked me once before to not say anything about the game. A number of others have the same information because it was discussed back in 2005 but those posts are probably removed. You can ask elbowmaster as he knows as well.

• @SSG:

Unless there is more information than a major battle in the Pacific, it could be any number of the islands or sea battles (Iwo Jima, Guadacanal, Saipan, Tinian, Battle of the Coral Sea, The Marianas Turkey Shoot, Okinawa, and many others)  How about a fictionalized invasion of the Japanese home islands?  The battle plans for the invasion and Japan’s defense are available, now from archives.  Secret weapons available for the Japanese could even the balance of power (without the A-bomb).

There are several interesting possibilities.  It should be an interesting game. :-D

I would like to see an Axis and Allies Iwo Jima game next

• I’m glad to have more Pacific action.

• another lame game to add to the list of cruddy knock-offs… :|

• Founder TripleA Admin

Have you played Battle of the Bulge? It’s a great game!

• @The:

another lame game to add to the list of cruddy knock-offs… :|

You might want to wait till it is out and you’ve had a chance to play it before labeling it “lame” and “cruddy.”  As of yet AH hasn’t even begun telling folks about the game, how can you know whether or not it is any good?

And I’m with djensen Battle of the Bulge is terrific. Miles and miles away from “lame” and “cruddy” and with its supply aspect it is not a knock-off. Personally, I expect Guadalcanal to be just as good or better.

• from larry:

Hi guys…
    Let me see if I can shed some light on some of these questions you bring up here.

First of all the cruisers are:
    Japan: Takao class
    Allies: Portland class

• I hope there will be an aspect in the game that involves the native islanders and the huge contribution they made in the Pacific theatre.

That would not be bad, but you would have to have an interesting set of VC… Completely sorrounded with no chance of survival… That doesn’t exactly chalk up a very exciting mixture of successful possibilities

The real game I’d like to see Mr. Harris do is Stalingrad!

GG

• @Guerrilla:

The real game I’d like to see Mr. Harris do is Stalingrad!

GG

He claims over at his site that he will do a game about Stalingrad. How soon we see it however…

I just hope we get some more info out of GenCon on Guadalcanal or at least another funagain games press release.  :roll:

• at least another funagain games press release

Yea they are certainly more knowledgeable about AH games than AH.

• Customizer

According to this post

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/181064

there are no tanks. So we’re still stuck with the shortage from AAR.  Claims the Japanese are in “light brown”.  Another in the long series of Japanese colours indistinguishable (to me) from at least one allied colour.

• The japanese will be Revised orange not brown if that helps out at all.

• It looks interesting.  I have been on Guadalcanal, New Georgia, Gizo, and Kolumbangara, and spent a lot of time talking with the local people.  They still passionately hate the Japanese, by the way.  I will be interested in how they handle the supply situation, having been an Army supply officer, and also having studied the Guadalcanal campaign for 47 years now.  I will also be interested in how they handle attacking an airfield to render it unfit to land.  In World War 2, it took an average of 8 bomb hits, the bombs weighing at least 100 pounds, per 1,000 feet of runway to knock out a Japanese airfield for 24 hours.  Twelve bombs hits per 1,000 feet or using bombs weighing 500 pounds would take the Japanese about 48 hours to repair.  Generally, the US could repair a runway in about half the time of the Japanese.  Henderson Field was never really knocked out the entire campaign, and with it being 200 feet wide with hard packed coral, the Japanese never really mustered the needed bomber force to knock it out.  US accuracy from 14,000 feet against runways was about 1 hit per 6 bombs dropped.  Based on analysis of Japanese level bombing attacks, their accuracy was about one-half of that.  So 8 bombs X 4,000 feet of runway X 6 bombs for one hit X 2 for poor accuracy adds up to 384 bombs dropped to knock out the airfield.  I think that the Betty could rack twelve 110 pound bombs, so that means a minimum of 32 Betties to deliver the needed bombs.  I do not think that the Japanese ever put 32 bomb-carrying Betties over Henderson Field.  I will need to look that up.  Regardlless, I will look forward to seeing the game, and at the very least, I  will have more naval miniatures to use for other naval rules and game design.

• @Flashman:

According to this post

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/181064

there are no tanks. So we’re still stuck with the shortage from AAR.  Claims the Japanese are in “light brown”.  Another in the long series of Japanese colours indistinguishable (to me) from at least one allied colour.

The Japaneses used very few tanks on Guadalcanal, with the only use being the attack in late October of 1942.  The ones uses were the T95 light tank, which were not terribly good.  The Marines had a company of M2A4 light tanks that they used in the Tenaru River fight, but were kept in reserve thereafter.  Believe me, Guadalcanal is NOT good tank country.  With the hills and jungle, it is strictly an infantry and artilllery fight.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m