• I just got Guadalcanal for Christmas and got a couple of questions I am hoping someone could answer regarding the combat.  The scenario I came across is when you have a sea battle and it involves carriers from both sides and they contain fighters do the fighters resolve their combat separate in the air combat phase or during the sea phase.  The same goes for when I want to launch an ivasion of an island and want to use fighter and bombers for support and there is an airfield with fighters do they resolve their combat as apart of the air or land phase?  I hope I made this clear enough.  Thanks to anyone for their help:)

• Each unit contributes dice during each phase it has an attack value for. Bombers and Battleships for instance can contribute in all three phases (air, naval, land) while infantry contribute in only one. The steps are more what types of units will be casualties than what types of units battle. Battleships only get hit in the naval units step despite having an attack value for all steps.

Your fighters example would see the fighters participating in the air attack step, and then any that survive would participate in the naval combat.

Bombers and shore bombardment can attack either the airfield or the garrison.

• That makes sense.  It was not very clear in the rule book.  Thanks for the help!

• Official Q&A

@frimmel:

Bombers and shore bombardment can attack either the airfield or the garrison.

Fighters can also.

• If a battle occurred in a sea zone next to an island that would also have a conflict and their is a carrier with fighters which survived the sea zone conflict, can those fighters participate in the land conflict?

• '16

Well this is a test for my understanding of the rules also  :-D

As far as I know. if fighters survived, they should be in the sea zone.
    To attack land units, they should be in the contested island.
    However, fighters already moved, so you can’t do it.

This is in contrast to battleships and cruisers which can support a land attack (shore bombardment) from an adjacent sea zone. (Section Phase 2: Combat, subsection 4. Attack land units and or airfields)

hope this helps …

• @warrafael:

Well this is a test for my understanding of the rules also   :-D

As far as I know. if fighters survived, they should be in the sea zone.
    To attack land units, they should be in the contested island.
    However, fighters already moved, so you can’t do it.

Test passed.  :-)

• @wolfpackguy:

If a battle occurred in a sea zone next to an island that would also have a conflict and their is a carrier with fighters which survived the sea zone conflict, can those fighters participate in the land conflict?

Just asking here, you do understand that your fighters don’t have to stay with the carrier right? Both of your questions suggest you might think the fighters are ‘locked’ to their carrier.

They intially move with the AC they are on and then can move two spaces in the move fighters step along with fighters based on islands.

• That makes sense. I think this will make it more clear what I am trying to get at.

The scenario I was thinking of is I am invading an island and in a sea zone next to it I am engaging whatever vessels there are with whatever sea forces I have including a CV with fighters.  If the fighters and CV survive the sea conflict can the fighters then participate in the land conflict?  Or during their move phase do I have to launch them from the CV to island for them to be able to participate in the land conflict and not the sea?

Thanks for your help and patience frimmel.  I am new to this type of conflict after having only played Revised.

• Official Q&A

The fighters can only battle in one zone per turn.  You must move them to the zone that you want them to fight in.

• Ok thats what I was starting to think.  Thanks.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m