Additional Radar Rules and other musings.

• @trig I like the +1 on the first round of combat, it might not be great considering the fact that players roll a D12, but on top of all the other benefits Radar already gives, it might be the best solution. Also, in GW’36, Subs are not considered Surface Warships, so they wouldn’t receive the +1.

• @aftertaste I don’t want to make the tech that powerful.
    Think about it this way:
    Any one with radar can build light cruisers, and then they fight just as well as a heavy cruiser for two less IPP. Over time, that get very scary, especially when you can get US Cleveland swarms.
    (This is with +1 all the time)

Also, on subs, I was writing from memory and just didn’t realize what you wrote. :)

• @trig You may be right, +1 all the time might be too much, +1 on the first round will suffice. What did you think of the other changes I suggested?

• @aftertaste what about adding a rule for radar stations positioned on the coastline that allows for scramble or added bonuses for ships in the adjacent sea zones?

• A simple improvement would be giving all Fighters a +1 defense for air superiority (IE the first round of combat) if opposing aircraft exist in the battle.

I think improving radar to give ships any sort of bonus, would be putting the Japanese theatre vs America at another disadvantage. Japan will never get the chance to research radar, whereas the US with their numerous majors certainly will if they wished.

• @adalwolf Radar Tech allows Airbases to scramble an unlimited number of aircraft to any adjacent land or sea zone, and, historically; the sort of Radar sites I’m talking about were zero help to warships who were typically fighting well beyond the horizon, relative to any Radar site. Additionally; one of the rules I’ve suggested gives Surface Warships a bonus for Radar Tech anyway.

• @insanehoshi Air Superiority’s not a bad shout, I hadn’t considered that. I think, though, with all, or even some, of the extra rules I’ve suggested, your rule would definitely make Radar Tech OP.

You’re right about the tech disadvantage, historically; the Japanese didn’t develop Radar anywhere near to the extent that the Americans did, because of the overwhelming scientific and industrial advantage the US enjoyed.

When considering the net positive effect that these suggested rules would provide for any Nation that develops the tech, I think that makes Radar almost a go to for Nations with limited tech capability. But you are right, it could unbalance the Pacific in favour of the Americans, which is why I’m not advocating these rules too strongly.

• @aftertaste I think it would be cool that a country with the radar tech and a radar station would have more advantages. Not necessarily for the ships, but for land based aircraft. Perhaps the unlimited scramble does not change but now when you have the physical radar station in the same land zone or adjacent they get first strike. I would like to use all these cool radar stations HBG has out now.

• Try if u have land radar can scramble only 1 extra fig from an AB per battle.

Naval Radar can scramble 1 fig per carrier on defense to any battle.

• @gen-manstein IMO if we are talking about improving techs, fighters scrambling should be added to Heavy Carriers, as they are weak enough.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m