how do i get a saved game to attach for pbem?

• Ok so first let me state here and now, i am technologically challenged! i suck at all things computer related. I looked at the link supplied in your reply.On creating a thread. I don’t get how to create a new thread . when i open the saved game there is no game thread or id # . And i don’t understand how to “create” one? The game was opened in the triple a site . we played 4 rounds, now its my turn with the germans. i open saved games select pbem . login into the axis and allies forum. the game thread block iss empty and in red i guess that means i need the # so the forum can accesss it. I don’t have a #. So how do i get a # to to enter there? So confused. and this just seems to be half the problem as everytime i try to post i also get the warnings i screenshot above about the email . so very confused and frustrated.

• @plasmaboy
    Ah ok. Your topic started as being about Play By Email.
    Now it appears that you are already playing a Play by Forum game. There appears to be a thread where you downloaded the savegame from. This thread already has a game-id then and you don’t need any Play by Email settings at all.

You might want to check
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/33080/turn-entry-errors
    again, where I layed out in detail the differences when dealing with two different forums and two different usernames especially in this posting for you:
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/post/1262814

Now please point me to the thread/topic where you got your savegame from, and we will continue from there step by step. We will get that sorted for you!

• mm fine how would i do that? i could send you an email with the game file attached?

• @plasmaboy

To be clear allow me this question:

Are we talking about Play By Email ?
    In that case you have received the file by email. The savegame is all you need then. You don’t need a topic ID then, as you do not fill in the Play By Forum settings, as I explained here. You just load the savegame as described in the workflow at the very beginning of this thread. Be sure that the Play By Email settings are correct then.

Or are we talking about Play By Forum?
    In that case you have got the file downloaded from the game thread you talked about in one of your last postings. In that case you only fill in the Play By Forum settings, where you need a topic ID then.
    You don’t fill in the Play By Email settings then.

It is either Play By Email or Play By Forum that you play. Not both. Depending on what it is, you only fill in the respective settings. Never both like you did as your screenshots show.

In case you Play By Forum I simply need the link to your game thread.
    In case you Play By Email you have got all you need.

Just tell me what it is and we move on from there.

• well this is the game i can’t figure out ho8fa42b27-eb78-40b9-bf66-1391d6e3c5fd-image.png w to get the topic did for.

• @plasmaboy I really need an answer to my latest posting. (https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/post/1280278).

In other words:

• do you want to send your savegames to the opponent by email
      or
    • do you want to post your savegames to the forum so that the opponent gets it from there?

How did you get that savegame that you have loaded?

Concerning your latest screenshot:

In case you got the savegame by mail then remove all of the Play By Forum details and enter the Play By EMail settings instead.
    You don’t need a topic ID then as you don’t need the forum settings at all. That’s is what I said above (https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/post/1279642).

In case you got the the savegame from a forum, then you get the topic ID from your game thread. See your last forum game that you played here;
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/33146/plasmaboy-vs-aldoraine-bm3/

Look at that link and identify “33146” as topic iD. Of course this is not the topic id for your current game, just an example of how to identify the ID.

As you said the game was opened on the TripleA site I went to forums.triplea-game.org and searched for any game you might be involved with but could not find any.

Again - how did you get that savegame that you have loaded above? What do you want to do?

• I got the game from my saved game file on/in triple a. open it picked play email/forum game entered the game file # i had from previous games. ran my turn Posted it it said i had as successful post went to close my turn and post that too. and i got a 500 error code. Also i don’t see the end of combat post i thought it said posted any where here.
    i think we are getting closer .

• @plasmaboy OK, so you decided for Play by Forum. What I see now is that you have correctly set up the game to post in your old thread
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/33146/plasmaboy-vs-aldoraine-bm3/45
    It posted completely as you can see when scrolling the turn post window down.

So you did the entire turn and posted it completely to that old game thread.

Now again - where is the thread of your current game? Whom are you addressing? Who is going to download your savegame that you have posted? Whose turn is it next - who continues the game?

Or, as you now said …

@plasmaboy said in how do i get a saved game to attach for pbem?:

I got the game from my saved game file on/in triple a. open it picked play email/forum game

… don’t you actually have a thread for your new game? In that case go to the Play Boardgames category and create a new topic. You will get your new topic ID then. Add that new ID to the PBF-settings. Do your turn and post to that new topic. You just need to point your co-players to that new topic, then.

• well i went to the board game section and created a new topic. added that to my forums id thread . opened save games and was able to launch the game. Success, sort of except that it is now showing as his russian turn, so i think after we play again if i save it during the Japanese turn i should be able to use the Forums to move forward with our game . thank you for your help. So now any time I want to play in forums i need to start a new topic correct?

• @plasmaboy Sounds good. Usually, when playing against different opponents, you would definitely create a new game thread for every game. When playing consecutive games against the same opponent, sometimes players agree to use the same game thread.
    Creating a new thread for every game is surely the “cleanest” solution.

Now enjoy gaming :slightly_smiling_face:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m