• Here’s a news story which suggests that common sense may not be as common as we’d like to think that it is.

–------------

Bomb disposal experts were called to a shop and part of York city centre shut off after a man walked in offering to sell a World War II explosive device.

Shop owner Stuart Sykes said he initially thought it was a “wind-up” and paid £5 to the unknown seller.

"A youngish man came into the shop this morning and simply asked me ‘do you buy bombs’?

"I couldn’t believe the question, and I thought it was a wind-up so I said, ‘not every day but I’ll buy it, where is it?’.

“He opened his jacket, slammed it on the counter and it was definitely World War II with the firing pin in the top.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-44546974

• '19 '17 '16

I saw “WWII” and “bomb” in the heading and thought this was a thread about the Pearl Harbor movie with Ben Affleck.  :-D

• Scary.
    I did not see that in my news thread . Thanks Marc.

• '17 '16 '15

@StuckTojo:

I saw “WWII” and “bomb” in the heading and thought this was a thread about the Pearl Harbor movie with Ben Affleck.   :-D

Heh heh.  :lol: It was kinda cheesy but had some good spots.

• @barney:

@StuckTojo:

I saw “WWII” and “bomb” in the heading and thought this was a thread about the Pearl Harbor movie with Ben Affleck.   :-D

Heh heh.  :lol: It was kinda cheesy but had some good spots.

When the movie came out it generated a lot of discussion, in various history-related forums, about its historical accuracy (or lack thereof).  One commentator sarcastically noted that he had carefully checked the roundels of the aircraft that were attacking Pearl Harbor and that he had been pleased by the accuracy of the fact that they were Japanese roundels rather than British ones.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m