• A BBC story about the preservation and restoration of the light cruiser HMS Caroline, the only participant of the Battle of Jutland still left afloat.  The cruiser is one of three surviving Royal Navy warships from the WWI era, the others being the monitor HMS M33 and the sloop HMS President.  The aim of the restoration team is to have Caroline ready to open to the public in time for the upcoming centennial of Jutland, in 2016.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29672262

• Afternoon Marc. I saw that on Twitter and thought of you. was unsure his to post the link and was short of time though. I did read it and it made me very happy.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Good to see that this is happening. Thanks for sharing the link.

I think that Coastal Motor Boat 4 also qualifies as a survivor that saw combat in World War I. Some might say that a “boat” is not a “ship”, but I don’t think that mattered much to the fighting men on board. CMB4 even sank a Russian cruiser during the post-WWI British campaign in the Baltic.

A case can even be made for HMS Calypso, although the definition of both “being an active  warship in World War I” and “surviving to the present day” would need to be stretched a bit there.

• Thanks for those two links HKL.  I agree that HMS Calypso would be a stretch as a present-day survivor, since she was burned to the waterline; “relic” would perhaps be a better characterization than “survivor”.

It’s too bad that the German WWI battlecruiser Goeben (later the Tukish warship Yavuz) didn’t get preserved.  She was in service until 1950 and in existence until the 1970s, when Turkey offered her for sale to West Germany.  West Germany turned down the offer, so she was sold for scrap in 1973.  Sad.

• @CWO:

Thanks for those two links HKL.  I agree that HMS Calypso would be a stretch as a present-day survivor, since she was burned to the waterline; “relic” would perhaps be a better characterization than “survivor”.

It’s too bad that the German WWI battlecruiser Goeben (later the Tukish warship Yavuz) didn’t get preserved.  She was in service until 1950 and in existence until the 1970s, when Turkey offered her for sale to West Germany.  West Germany turned down the offer, so she was sold for scrap in 1973.  Sad.

That is sad.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m