• Sponsor

Very close results here, an Aircraft Carrier is doing well considering it’s up against all other units in the game.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

I voted “no carrier”, which is the majority opinion, but that majority has been a very silent one so far. And I’m not saying I’d never buy a carrier as Germany, but I’m not convinced I need to buy it G1. I prefer to spend money on slow units that need time to reach Russia, and I also believe that it’s possible to keep a Sea Lion threat alive without that carrier.

I’ve been experimenting a bit with the following setup:

G1 purchase: 6 art, 1 sub

G1 combat move:
    2 subs to SZ106
    2 subs, 3 fighter, 3 tac, 1 bomber to SZ110
    1 sub, 1 battleship, 1 fighter, 1 tac, 1 bomber to SZ111
    (and attack France and Yugoslavia, but that’s not too relevant for this)

G1 sea combat:
    Kill SZ110, kill SZ106, retreat from SZ111 after one round

G1 noncombat:
    3 planes to Holland/Belgium
    1 fighter from Yugoslavia to Southern Italy
    all other planes to Western Germany
    cruiser to SZ112
    3 AA from Western Germany to Holland-Belgium
    transport 1 tank from Poland and 1 inf from Denmark to Norway
    1 inf from Denmark to Western Germany
    all inf + art + 2AA from Germany to Slovakia Hungary
    1 AA from Germany to Western Germany
    and take Finland and Bulgaria

G1 place:
    1  sub SZ112, 6 art Germany

Of course this doesn’t always work out the way it’s supposed to (from a German perspective), but it has a fair chance of achieving the desired result, which ideally is, to leave the UK with one damaged battleship that can’t escape, plus one destroyer and a transport.

I think that in this situation, the UK still needs to do something about a potential Sea Lion threat. In fact, I’m a bit puzzled about what the UK should do other than a defensive buy such as 6 inf 1 fighter. But I’d be interested to learn about alternatives.

• @Herr:

(…)
    I’m a bit puzzled about what the UK should do other than a defensive buy such as 6 inf 1 fighter. But I’d be interested to learn about alternatives.

Likewise, Herr KL!
    Maybe not as much an alternative as desired, but I like to build 2FTR + 2INF as an alternative. That buy does as good a job of ‘pyrrhic’ an eventual German victory in London, but it is 1 more unit that can go out and hunt Italians/defend Moscow once it becomes clear no SL wil be launched.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Seems solid, who could argue with artillery? Its still my favorite unit since revised  :-D

The carrier is fun though, if you want to force a naval arms race. I think it works in principle, but really only if you’re willing to outspend the Allies on the water early with the whole Axis side. If you can catch them off guard or throw them off their purchases for a round, its possible to maintain overall naval parity for good part of the game with the Axis side. Just having a decent Baltic fleet or ships in the med is always enjoyable. Everyone dreams of the dominant Kriegsmarine, breaking out and wrecking hehe. I give G40 credit for at least making the Graf Zeppelin workable in this game.

It has strong entertainment value, even if there are other plays that work too.

• Sponsor

@Herr:

I voted “no carrier”, which is the majority opinion, but that majority has been a very silent one so far.

Very nice blueprint, thanks for that.

• @Herr:

G1 place:
    1  sub SZ111, 6 art Germany

Assume you meant SZ112?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@IKE:

@Herr:

G1 place:
    1  sub SZ111, 6 art Germany

Assume you meant SZ112?

Definitely! Thanks, I changed it.

• I like this blueprint, but personally I prefer 2 bombers over the 6 art.  Opens the door for more options early.

• I like to buy 3 subs & 3 art.

• '22 '16

I voted no because I don’t think a carrier is a must buy.  All depends on how you like to play.  I prefer 2 bombers and a sub.  Sometimes I buy 1 AC 1 Bomber.  Having a carrier with the German navy keeps it alive longer and keeps UK always worrying about it.  Also depends on my UK opponent and how well I know their play style.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m