• '10

Last game we came to this question:

Is it possible to land your own planes - in the same turn - in a neutral country you took conrol by moving in in the non-combat-move.

For example italian planes in Iraq.

(I know it is poosible to land UK-planes on the Dutch East Indies - same turn you took contol of them.)

• '10

Very good question…  Considering the East Indies scenario you just gave I don’t see why not?  As for realism, I don’t see what a willing Neutral would allow you to move land units into their country but not Air power?

I don’t think this is covered in the rule book.

• Official Q&A

It is covered in the rulebook.  Planes can’t land in territories that were not friendly at the beginning of your turn.  Friendly neutral is not the same as friendly.  UK and ANZAC can land planes in the Dutch territories because they are friendly, not friendly neutral.

• '10

Kind of a silly rule?  Finland was not Friendly to Germany? Would not being PRO-AXIS make you a friendly by default?

I know you are the authority on the rules, but I am curious what the actual verbiage of the rulebook states…

• Official Q&A

@FieldMarshalGames:

Kind of a silly rule?  Finland was not Friendly to Germany? Would not being PRO-AXIS make you a friendly by default?

No.  “Friendly neutral” is not the same as “friendly”.  A country cannot claim to be neutral while allowing a beligerent power to move combat units into its territory.  That neutrality must be violated in order to do that, changing its status from friendly neutral to friendly.  Per the rules, this requires a land unit.

@FieldMarshalGames:

I know you are the authority on the rules, but I am curious what the actual verbiage of the rulebook states…

The rules say what I said above, in the section on noncombat movement on page 21 of the Europe Rulebook.  “Air units can land in any territory that was friendly at the start of your turn.”  They also say, “A land unit can move into any friendly or friendly neutral territory, including territories that were captured in the current turn.”  This indicates that land units may move into friendly neutrals, while air units may not.

• @Krieghund:

It is covered in the rulebook.  Planes can’t land in territories that were not friendly at the beginning of your turn.  Friendly neutral is not the same as friendly.  UK and ANZAC can land planes in the Dutch territories because they are friendly, not friendly neutral.

So ANZAC can take Islands with planes then?

• @Idi:

@Krieghund:

So ANZAC can take Islands with planes then?

Assuming they’re the Dutch East Indies and aren’t controlled by Japan, they can.

• Official Q&A

I said UK and ANZAC can land planes there.  I didn’t say they could take control of them with planes.  That requires a land unit.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

So, because the DEI is friendly, as per your definition,  like a french territory say.

Anzac/uk can land planes there, even if it’s still dutch,

They just can’t take control of the territory, until they land ground units there.

Interesting.

• '10

Thanks for the clarification.  Makes sense now

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m