National Museum of the Pacific War, Fredricksburg TX, USA

• '17 '16 Customizer

So I’m very excited! Next week we’re heading down south to Oklahoma to see my youngest son graduate from Army boot camp. (So very proud of him and his decision to serve our great country) We’ll spend two days with him then he get shipped off to another Army base for months of combat medic training. My wife and I decided to turn it into a two-week vacation and, being the WWII history nut I am, the 1st thing I zeroed in on was the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg Texas. (http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org/) We booked our lodgings and plan on spending two days exploring it. By the looks of the web site and comments, we’re in for a real treat! My 7-year-old grandson is going with us so we’ll see how much I actually get to see with him in tow. I think he and Grandma might have to head back to the hotel w/o Grandpa.  :wink: Anyway….thought I’d share that with my fellow history enthusiasts here. I’ll let you know what I learn. Maybe I’ll get some insight that’ll help me play Japan (A&A Global) better. LOL.

• Have fun!  I hadn’t previously heard of the National Museum of the Pacific War, and at first glance I was puzzled about the fact that it’s in Texas (which doesn’t have a Pacific coastline)…but when I looked at their website and saw the Nimitz quote at the top of the page I remembered that Nimitz was born in Texas.

The list below hasn’t been updated in about ten years, but it may interest you.  There are about half a dozen Texas locations:

http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/preserve.htm
    Preserved Naval Vessels in the United States

• '21 '18 '16

The museum if fantastic. There are some very good restaurants as well. If you like German style food, you are in for a treat. There is also a very good pizza place on the west side of town on 290 if the kiddo wants something less formal. Some very good tasting rooms for the local wineries close by if you like wine. I also recommend you drive to Kerrville and go swim at the river. Hope you all enjoy your central Texas trip.
    sean…

• '17 '16 Customizer

@seancb:

The museum if fantastic. There are some very good restaurants as well. If you like German style food, you are in for a treat. There is also a very good pizza place on the west side of town on 290 if the kiddo wants something less formal. Some very good tasting rooms for the local wineries close by if you like wine. I also recommend you drive to Kerrville and go swim at the river. Hope you all enjoy your central Texas trip.
    sean…

Thanks for the tips Sean! Much appreciated. And I do love German cuisine too. Really appreciate the swimming tip as the grandson  I are pretty much water bugs & love the water every chance we get. This’ll help make the vacation even better.

• I plan on visiting Fredericksburg this year.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m