• Battleships also have a nice psyc value that may get you opponent to make a mistake like getting caught up in a naval build up.

• 2007 AAR League

a favorite ploy of mine as japan.  keep buying couple of boats all the while never moving from japan.  just going into russia.  america ends up buying boats and stops them from helping out as much in europe or africa.  its great.  unless america calls a bluff and doesnt buy boats, then you can just park on the west coast and really scare the crap of the US.

• @ncscswitch:

Depends on fleet purpose:

If purpose is defense of your fleet from air and sea attacks, then 2 DST’s
    If attacking the enemy fleet is the object then 3 SUBs
    If using your fleet to support amphibs (with no major air and naval counter-attack risk… 1 BB.

Subs are kind of underestimated. I never see any of my opponents buying them.  They dont realize that if I have 3 or 4 subs in one group, I could do a TON of damage to their fleet which is lacking a destroyer.

• Yea but they cant hit planes. Planes can attack them and they cant shoot back. Id have them for fodder but use them with surface fleets as soakers.

• I knew a guy who did sick damage to my fleets all the time with subs.  Even more so in classic when he could shoot at planes.

• 2007 AAR League

Subs can’t shoot at planes in classic!!!

• Correct.  SUBs cannot fire at aircraft in Revised or Classic.

• @Imperious:

Yea but they cant hit planes. Planes can attack them and they cant shoot back. Id have them for fodder but use them with surface fleets as soakers.

Well they can submerge, so you might lose one or two out of your group.

Its still great though when you sink an aircraft carrier then submerge, and the planes have nowhere to land.

• @rjclayton:

Subs can’t shoot at planes in classic!!!

add it to my list of noob experiances, mistakes!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

You know, I have found there is a time when you want to go BB.

You want to sink the enemy fleet AND have enough punch left over to keep moving without being disabled yourself.

Battleships will perform this for you.  They can take a licking and keep on ticking.  I call them teh Timex of the Naval world.  Besides, nothing’s quite as satisfying as having 3 Battleships for Japan (especially with Most Powerful Battleships NA in LHTR/AAR)

• 2007 AAR League

I like my fleets to have at least 1BB, 2 is even better.  But realistically I don’t usually buy BB, they are just too expensive.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

BS, every time I add in a new BB with America or Japan you always buy a counter BB. =)

Sorry, had to call you on it.  And personally, if I have to go Island Hopping or I want to hit Multiple targets by splitting my fleet, I want at least 2 battleships, 3 or 4 is even better.

• I agree with the sentiment that you should get battleships (or any unit, really), depending on what you want to accomplish.

My style of play does not lend itself to battleships, so I do not purchase them.

However, I have been in situations in which I have taken over another player’s turn, and bought battleships.

• @Jennifer:

You know, I have found there is a time when you want to go BB.

You want to sink the enemy fleet AND have enough punch left over to keep moving without being disabled yourself.

Battleships will perform this for you.  They can take a licking and keep on ticking.  I call them teh Timex of the Naval world.  Besides, nothing’s quite as satisfying as having 3 Battleships for Japan (especially with Most Powerful Battleships NA in LHTR/AAR)

Jenn, funny you should mention this.  I was thinking of doing exactly this in our current game.  The thing is, I have Super BBs AND Tokyo Express, so the dilemma continues – 1 (Super) BB vs. 2 DDs that can transport troops . . . hmmm.  Either way, I’m having a blast toying with that gigantic American fleet you have.  :lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m