• '21 '18 '16

Anyone care to share thoughts or experiences buying 4 strategic bombers on turn 1. Assume no J1 DOW.

• '15

I’ve never done it, but I don’t see much use for it on turn 1.  Bombers can get from WUS to Queensland in one turn, so why rush them there?  I think a large bomber purchase for the US is a great move later on in the game

• Yea I like to buy ships with the US early on, then bmrs mid game because they can quickly get into the fold.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

The bombers are a good way to thwart sealion if you are 110% certain germany is going to try it.

• '17 '16

@variance:

The bombers are a good way to thwart sealion if you are 110% certain germany is going to try it.

If you see Germany buy nothing but ships on turn-1, it might be an indication of Germany’s intent for SeaLion… lolz

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

maybe

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I would think that the bomber buy would be bad unless you have just been J1ed. Even then, it might be bad. The bombers travel at twice the speed of your fleet – it seems to me to make more sense to build fleet first and then the air support second. So, it seems like a very situational build to me.

Marsh

• I’ve only played one game so far (P40 2nd edition last week) and have been wondering the purpose of such units for the allies in the pacific.

Question,

Say I am attacking from Guam to Japan to perform a strategic bombing raid…

Does the unit movement go as follow
    1 to go from Guam to sea zone 21 (adjacent to Guam)
    2 to go to sea zone 18
    3 to enter sea zone 6 (adjacent japan)
    4 to bomb the factories
    5 to re-enter sea zone 6 after finishing up combat
    6 to enter sea zone 18
    7 to enter sea zone 21
    8? sink into the ocean?

• '17 '16

You can’t intentionally kamikaze aircraft when you send them out on missions… if you move an aircraft (fighter or bomber) out during its combat phase, it must have a clear path to land after the combat during non-combat (even if it means moving an aircraft carrier into range for it to land on)… in the case of strategic bombers, they must have a place to land after conducting their bombing run… if they do not have the range to safely land during non-combat, they cannot be sent out on the bombing run to begin with.

• Right, so was I correct in my movement? So the morale is that I cannot strategic bomb from that location.

What I’m getting at, is even with a 6 movement point, strategic bombers actually have a limited range because 2 movement points are used moving from land to sea zone. And they can’t land on carriers.

Where is the best spot to launch strategic bombing runs as the allies?

• @Beginnerallies:

Where is the best spot to launch strategic bombing runs as the allies?

For Japan it would have to be Iwo Jima, Okinawa or the mainland.

Bombers taking off from Guam and Wake Island (each with an AB) can also land in the above territories.

@seancb:

Anyone care to share thoughts or experiences buying 4 strategic bombers on turn 1. Assume no J1 DOW.

Never done it and find it hard to imagine I ever will. The USA’s starting ipcs can buy 1 AC, 2 figs and 2 DDs, for example. Four bombers attacking such a fleet would have a 14% chance of success.

The bombers advantage is movement. That is unlikely to be advantageous until US2 or US3, as others have pointed out. Even then the US’s primary need is often to add defence (ACs & figs) and blocking (DDs) power to its fleets, so that they can be safely forward deployed as a threat.

I look forward to playing against an opponent who proves me wrong!

• One of these days I’m going to try an all-bomber-purchase US strategy and see how it works. After a few turns of bomber purchases the number of places the Axis will be able to sail a fleet will be sharply limited, since one move is all it takes to put those bombers in position to attack any given target.

Has anyone actually gone ahead and done this?

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@SubmersedElk:

One of these days I’m going to try an all-bomber-purchase US strategy and see how it works. After a few turns of bomber purchases the number of places the Axis will be able to sail a fleet will be sharply limited, since one move is all it takes to put those bombers in position to attack any given target.

Would you call that Green Skies?

Marsh

• The power of Dark Skies is the ability of the German bombers to attack Russian ground forces, Atlantic Fleet, invaders in Western Europe, and Egypt.  That projection of power makes up for the 12 PUs to buy a single HP unit with an attack of 4.  For the United States, the bombers primarily are threatening the Japanese Navy.  The units attack worse than two subs, cannot provide any protection to fleets, and don’t have that much more mobility than naval units.

Instead of 20 bombers (attack = 80, defense = 20), I would much rather have a balanced group of:
    4 loaded carriers
    3 destroyers
    12 subs
    (attack = 54, defense = 58)

Nevertheless, Green Skies is worth a try sometime.

• '19 '17 '16

@Private:

Bombers taking off from Guam and Wake Island (each with an AB) can also land in the above territories.

Nit pick. You are thinking of Midway, not Wake Island.

• @simon33:

@Private:

Nit pick. You are thinking of Midway, not Wake Island.

Thanks for correcting that error simon33 :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m