• They were ten  feet high and were an easy target to hit. However, the Allies really didn’t need to rely on their tanks as much.

The Wolverine couldn’t destroy Tigers or Panthers, just Panzers.

Anyways, a Sherman was a Japanese G4M, like Balungloaf said (the G4M was the Japanse bomber that was used as the piece in Axis and Allie, and it was a weak airplane.) One shot and it is gone.

• Balungaloaf,

I think the quote you were looking for was, “Ronson, lights first time, every time.” :wink:

• @Nukchebi0:

We only one because we could make so many of them.

Like I say to people in Counter-Strike Source……“What you lack in quality, make it up with quantity!!!”  :lol:

• First off this is a great thread!!

“What you lack in quality, make it up with quantity!!!”

Stalin once said “quantity has a quality of its own”

Id have to say that Germany overall had by far the best tanks followed by the Soviet Union and US. From the period of Aug 1941- till about late 1942 when the Tiger tank made its appearance. However, the numerical advantage was offset by poor mechanical disposition and poor application and tactics on the battlefield. The Germans with an equal force could easily win by a better employment of tanks. Logistics played a part as well and the Soviets were prone to major problems in sustaining a breakthrough after it was achieved. The Germans would nearly allways be able to get out of the noose.

The American Sherman was credible but was no match for even a panther mark IV let alone a tiger I.

Micheal Wittmann demonstrated what exactly a Tiger could so against Allied tanks when Monty tried to break into Caen. Wittmann’s tank alone stopped the entire British division and knocked out something like 22 tanks and 14 support vehicles.

• Yea those German tanks were amazing.  You needed to send like four Shermans against to to hit it from the side or rear and even then, you were probaly going to lose one Sherman.  I think the best tanks were Russian.  Russian tanks had all the qualitys that you would want in a tank.  They were very well armored, very fast, had decent guns, and of course before the Germans made the Panther, the Russians had already started to use sloped armor to deflect shells.

• 2007 AAR League

the joseph stalin series of heavy tanks for the USSR, epecially Stalin III’s.  Could slug it out evenly or i think with an advantage over any heavy tank the germans had.

• @Imperious:

Micheal Wittmann demonstrated what exactly a Tiger could so against Allied tanks when Monty tried to break into Caen. Wittmann’s tank alone stopped the entire British division and knocked out something like 22 tanks and 14 support vehicles.

At the cost of his own life, nonetheless…

@balungaloaf:

the joseph stalin series of heavy tanks for the USSR, epecially Stalin III’s.  Could slug it out evenly or i think with an advantage over any heavy tank the germans had.

The problem with the IS-2 was that it wasn’t as much of a threat to infantry as it was to tanks, so it was more like a Jagdpanther (or whatever it was called) than a Tiger.

• @Jermofoot:

@Imperious:

At the cost of his own life, nonetheless…

@balungaloaf:

The problem with the IS-2 was that it wasn’t as much of a threat to infantry as it was to tanks, so it was more like a Jagdpanther (or whatever it was called) than a Tiger.

I think that a 36:1 KDR is more than acceptable, myself.

Edit: The Panther could get a T-34 through the front armor from 2000m, whil the T-34 needed 500m.

• At the cost of his own life, nonetheless…

no he died in another battle latter in the same campaign different battle.

joseph stalin series of heavy tanks for the USSR, epecially Stalin III’s

those things came out allmost near the end of the war. Id still take a King Tiger to that thing. Ill find some references and post the comparison.

• JS-3:
    Crew 4
    Length 9.90 m
    Width 3.09 m
    Height 2.73 m
    Weight 46 tonnes
    Armour and armament
    Armour 30 to 160 mm
    Main armament D25-T 122 mm gun
    Secondary armament 3×DT, 1×DShK machine guns
    Mobility
    Power plant 12-cyl. diesel model V-2
    600 hp (450 kW)
    Suspension torsion bar
    Road speed 37 km/h
    Power/weight 13 hp/tonne
    Range 240 km

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin_tank

King Tiger:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_tiger

Weight 69.8 tonnes
    Length 7.62 m, 10.286 m gun forward
    Width 3.755 m
    Height 3.09 m
    Crew 5
    Armour 180 mm frontal armor
    80 mm side armor
    Primary
    armament 88 mm KwK 43 L/71
    Secondary
    armament 2×7.92 mm MG
    Engine V-12 Maybach HL 230 P30
    700 hp (515 kW)
    Power/weight 10 hp/tonne
    Suspension torsion-bar
    Operational
    range 170 km
    Speed 41.5 km/h

further reading also confirms what i thought was correct: that they were not used in Europe as they were introduced too late in this campaign.

• Soviet air power won WWII for them. They destroyed more tanks with Il-2’s and Il-10’s than with tanks.

I have no proof to prove or disprove that claim, but I think that in actuality Snow was the main cause of tank deaths on the Eastern Front…

GG

• @Guerrilla:

I have no proof to prove or disprove that claim, but I think that in actuality Snow was the main cause of tank deaths on the Eastern Front…

GG

Snow wasnt the main, but was one of the top causes.  Some tank engines wouldnt even start in such cold weather and if they did, they had a hard time moving.

• I was talking about in the later battles, such as those when Russia was regaining lost territory.

• How about this concept tank:

http://www.kensingtonbooks.com/finditem.cfm?itemid=9384

I don’t know if I first saw this here, if I did…sorry for reposting.

• 2007 AAR League

i think it would have gotten taken out by artillery, or planes.

It would be abosutley scary on a battlefield though, soldiers would just run away.  how would you take that thing out.

It would take a ton of steel to make one of those.

IF the armor was thick enough to withstand anything, only napalm or flame would do the trick. nasty.

• @balungaloaf:

i think it would have gotten taken out by artillery, or planes.

It would be abosutley scary on a battlefield though, soldiers would just run away.  how would you take that thing out.

It would take a ton of steel to make one of those.

IF the armor was thick enough to withstand anything, only napalm or flame would do the trick. nasty.

I think planes would have been the deterrent of choice.  It did have flak guns, though (and mgs).  Hell…how would this thing be mobile anyway?  It was painful enough to get the Tigers moving…

• considering the other book on that site and the fact i cant find any colloborating evidence for such a project even with having over 500 books on WW2. I can conclude that its a work of fiction… or at the very best something that was never even drafted in terms of modeling the feasibility of such a tank. Only the Maus seems at least something that was attempted (* they have 2 of these tanks unfinished). I feel that the maus would have been defending Berlin if Hitler lasted a few more months. But as you know in trials the Maus wasnt able to meet the speed requirements as per the specifications… the germans were working on a solution when work was halted for more important considerations.

• @Imperious:

considering the other book on that site and the fact i cant find any colloborating evidence for such a project even with having over 500 books on WW2. I can conclude that its a work of fiction… or at the very best something that was never even drafted in terms of modeling the feasibility of such a tank. Only the Maus seems at least something that was attempted (* they have 2 of these tanks unfinished). I feel that the maus would have been defending Berlin if Hitler lasted a few more months. But as you know in trials the Maus wasnt able to meet the speed requirements as per the specifications… the germans were working on a solution when work was halted for more important considerations.

I never took it as even a possibility for deployment, but I wouldn’t put it past the Germans to dream something like this.  Either way, interesting that someone put that much thought into it. 
    The Maus was another thing I was going to mention, but couldn’t recall it’s actual name.

Didn’t the Russians have some sort of land rover tank?  Multiple turrets, quite large?  I remember seeing something a long time ago…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m