• You can also read:

Garg’s notes Russian Defence Doctrine

Very useful insight of what russia is actually capeable of.

• One thing I haven’t seen is that it isn’t always the best course of action to defend Moscow. If you can retreat and not die with your force it might better to do that. Send your massive stack south to merge with the UK force there. This creates a big headache for Germany.

Also a question. How are you guys taking Berlin as the allies. Against myself I haven’t even come close to taking Berlin. Even in a game I played with no VC victory condition and went 100% Europe with America I couldn’t take Berlin till at least turn 20.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Take berlin by not taking Berlin.

Focus on economic Strangle, whilst keeping some 1-2 Us/Uk threat alive.  Eventually you will get Berlin, but there’s no forcing it!

• I have tried Narvik’s strategy before a couple of times.  It really messes with the German player.  It gives the allies a free landing space besides the economic pressure it puts on Germany.  I have found that continually moving forces to position for the counter attack is the best way to defend the motherland.  I will pull my ffront line forces back one territory along the front leaving one infintry to as a blocker.  I will make sure that I build Infintry, artillery and tanks with the occasional fighter.  If you want to insult the german player, buy a bomber.  (ok that is maybe just an inside joke for our group) You may not have the funds or defensive ability to protect it but a transport at the Lenningrad naval base can "project a threat and if the Greman player does not pay attention, can be a great source of when you land Russian troops in an undefended Berlin (I couldn’t hold it but the look on the experienced German players face when he handed me Germany’s bank was priceless) Moscow finally fell in round 28 of that game.  Direct and misdirect.  Lead the dance.  Don’t let the German or Japanese players dictate how you play the game.  Make them react to what you are doing and hold on for the other allies to hit them from behind.

• @Gargantua:

Take berlin by not taking Berlin.

Focus on economic Strangle, whilst keeping some 1-2 Us/Uk threat alive.  Eventually you will get Berlin, but there’s no forcing it!

I see what you are saying, but how is US putting that much money in Europe without screwing himself over vs Japan?

I find USA really only needs a basic startup navy (Cruiser, Dst, Acc, 2 fgt), stuff you can place/organize by US1,  and then a small shuck (4-6 transports maybe) that develops over time.

And that’s it…  you end up filling 2 to 3 transports a turn to go east, and the first few turns, I use all the crap usa starts with, mec, inf, aa guns, etc.  Get everything you can into the fight, and spend as thinly as possible.

That generally gets you to 50-60 IPC’s going west against Japan.  You then use your micro allies Anzac, india, China, to make up the economic slack however possible.

Call it 85/15

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

@Gargantua:

I find USA really only needs a basic startup navy (Cruiser, Dst, Acc, 2 fgt), stuff you can place/organize by US1,  and then a small shuck (4-6 transports maybe) that develops over time.

And that’s it…  you end up filling 2 to 3 transports a turn to go east, and the first few turns, I use all the crap usa starts with, mec, inf, aa guns, etc.  Get everything you can into the fight, and spend as thinly as possible.

That generally gets you to 50-60 IPC’s going west against Japan.  You then use your micro allies Anzac, india, China, to make up the economic slack however possible.

Call it 85/15

This is interesting, so you only put this little into the Atlantic for the first few (5-6?) turns? What do you actually do with this stuff, where does it go? If it sits at Gibraltar, isnt it an easy target for Germany to blow up? How about the British, do they help at all? Air base at Gibraltar? The idea of getting all USA units into play is probably something too many people are not doing……Does this mean Gibraltar and north Africa?

Against dark skies you can add a little bit to that fleet, and/or put an airbase at Gib. for scramble.

If Germany attacks with it’s airpower, and you kill atleast 4 bombers, Russia’s chances for survival drastically increase.

• What are the best routes for Allied fighters to get into Moscow without being destroyed in the middle of their journey?

Gibraltar - Cyrpus - Moscow… takes two airbases though :S

If you attack the neutrals, going Moscow to India in one move through Afghanistan is convenient!

Persia Complex direct to Moscow is good.

Scotland - Arch/Kar/Nenestia - Moscow is ok depending

There is a way to go WUS through the soviet north,  but it’s less than ideal IMO.

• Yeah, the persia complex straight to Moscow is my favorite.

I also sometimes go south: west africa - egypt - persia - moscow

• @ChocolatePancake:

I also sometimes go south: west africa - egypt - persia - moscow

Out of necessity, I guess :-D?
    I also do that sometimes, if I see Italy and/or Germany have the option of killing my RAF without loosing any aircraft themselves.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m