• @Jennifer:

Risk rocks if you are locked in an Army infirmary with no TV, no computer, no Axis and Allies and only Risk or a deck of cards to fill your days for months on end!

What?  No poker?  I don’t believe you ever in the military.

Or was that phased out?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Jermofoot:

@Jennifer:

Risk rocks if you are locked in an Army infirmary with no TV, no computer, no Axis and Allies and only Risk or a deck of cards to fill your days for months on end!

Or was that phased out?

I said we had a deck of cards, dear.  A, as in singular, deck of cards.  (The rest were missing cards, and no, not ones you could canabalize from other decks.  For instance, the other three decks were all missing the Ace of Spades, two of the decks were missing the suicidal king…)

But yes, I learned how to play Texas Hold’em in the Army.

• @Jennifer:

@Jermofoot:

@Jennifer:

Or was that phased out?

I said we had a deck of cards, dear.  A, as in singular, deck of cards.  (The rest were missing cards, and no, not ones you could canabalize from other decks.  For instance, the other three decks were all missing the Ace of Spades, two of the decks were missing the suicidal king…)

But yes, I learned how to play Texas Hold’em in the Army.

Some people dont like the way I play Texas Hold’em.  While most people play with a serious face, I play like if I was fucking around, making fart noises etc.  It throws people off that I show no signs I either have a good hand or a bad hand.  I really dont care.  Its not like its a real sport anyways….its just for fun.

Back to the main subject, Risk is pretty alright just to kill time.  Id like to play that Napoleonic version though.  Seems pretty cool.

• Its awesome… I dont know why its not officially released in the states. Even the pieces are better!

I play hold-em like a mad woman.  Half the time I’m loose, half the time I’m tight.  But one thing’s for sure, I always bet the minimum when I have 2 aces in my hold cards!

• @Jennifer:

I play hold-em like a mad woman.  Half the time I’m loose, half the time I’m tight.  But one thing’s for sure, I always bet the minimum when I have 2 aces in my hold cards!

For reals?  I always go all in when I have bullets.  People think im just insane so they go for it too.

• Let’s start a poker thread!  Unless I missed it.

@MechanizedWarfare:

@Jennifer:

For reals?  I always go all in when I have bullets.  People think im just insane so they go for it too.

Nah, I go all in when the River’s out.  Until then, I wanna get the pot as large as possible.  Too many people fold if you go all in.

• @Jennifer:

@MechanizedWarfare:

@Jennifer:

Nah, I go all in when the River’s out.  Until then, I wanna get the pot as large as possible.  Too many people fold if you go all in.

That makes sense.  Sometimes I go all in without looking at my cards.  Sometimes it works.  :lol:

Hell, I went all in once with a duece and a three.  Bluffed the entire table!  But then, I only got $25 out of the pot.  I can usually get a few hundred with a pair of aces.

• I think you are getting into an Apples and Organes thing. I don’t think it is a question of which one does or doesn’t suck but which you prefer to play. I think people who are drawn to Risk in search of a strategy game not chess tend to find their way to things a bit more complex (A&A) very quickly.

I think that Risk:Godstorm is a blast. Summon Gods to aid you in battle, wage war in the underworld, sink entire continents.  Lots of fun.

Where I think Risk sucks is the “custom” of not deciding how many defense dice to roll until the attackers dice are on the table.

• Dude all you do is roll dice and if you know how to strategize you can win in the first turn

• @ShadowHAwk:

Thing with risk is it is more luck the A&A your starting positions are random. This is also a big advantage since no 2 games are the same in startup. With A&A you can basicaly almost write down the first 2 countries ( russia/germany ) moves without setting up the board. IF you play it a lot it gets predicable.

They are both great games. Risk is good for a simple game or playing a lot. A&A is good for the longer games with more varried opponents because against 1 person it soon becomes the same game where only the dice make a difference.

I agree with ShadowHawk.  A&A, although a very fun game, is too predictable in the first round and also it takes awhile to finish.  Risk is random, thus makes it fun to play and also a game can finish rather quickly.

• Lord of the rings risk is very fun … just played it at a tournament.

• 2007 AAR League

hows it different?

• Its got like 2 teams of armies ( good and evil) and they have special cards for taking what they call a stronghold or a major location of significance. These grant you a special ability in combat or like free armies ( all random) . Plus the ring ( fellowship) moves along a path each turn until it reaches the volcano. The game ends officially after that point. You may also attack your ally. Oh and the ring is an actual cool looking ring. The map is well drawn. Combat is the same a risk, but i may want to tweek it so that the armies have values like in axis and allies. each side has 3 types of units each representing different quantities of armies… my idea was to combine the pieces from that other war of the ring game ( by fantasy flight games) and mave a major battle game… using the risk ruleset ( or not).

• Does it suck?  Erm  . . .

The first time i played it, I was like “wow, Australia is teh bomb!  also South America is quite smexy”

And I won sixteen straight before I started a game with three other players that said “kill him, he always wins” on the very first turn.  :lol:

Risk is kinda limited.  But even Axis and Allies is kinda limited too.

• regular risk is ok, but i think risk 2210AD is much better. it gives you allot more options and connects Australia and South America to the rest of the world. if you ever have bad luck during placement you can always shoot for the moon.

• @cyan:

regular risk is ok, but i think risk 2210AD is much better. it gives you allot more options and connects Australia and South America to the rest of the world. if you ever have bad luck during placement you can always shoot for the moon.

Ha ha!

Moon shot.

Shoot for the moon.

It works on so many levels!

I wept with joy.

• Risk is a great Game, i cant say it isnt ive grown up on that game and before i could remember playing it but, Axis and allies a couple steps up from risk with risk 2210 being right in the middle. Plus even the adults i know play risk, most of them dont want to learn how to play axis and allies, so it is a great party game, Risk isnt better but it is an awesome game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m