Procas' Ultimate Same Time/Double Blind Ruleset: Looking for suggestions/players

• Hello everyone!

As you may remember, I started this thread (http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=35590.0) a while back, and there was some great discussion within it. It got me thinking about playing same time, and other house rules that vastly improve realism. I realized that same time could be used in cooperation with double blind rules, one of my favorite variants for revised.

So, I got to writing up a ruleset of how to play Global 1940 with both same time and double blind rules, and I think I have something workable written down here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/139uGqQHm_FVq2nmK0w-kcyWKo4N_-zyyKjd9mliA8Zg/edit?usp=sharing
    I welcome any suggestions that you all might have, as everything can be improved upon.

Additionally, since same time works best over the internet, I think it would be awesome to have community members sign up for a test playthrough, and see how things go. I would be the moderator. If anybody is interested, please post here or send me a message.

Thanks for reading!

• I was only able to take a quick glance at this (no time for more at the moment), but it looks well thought out.  Nice work.

One suggested tweak: changing “The US is by itself because it had little knowledge of the world outside before the war started” to “The US is by itself because it had little interest in foreign entanglements before the war started”.  In other words, the position of John Q. Public prior to Pearl Harbor was more a case of “Let those damn fool Europeans fight their own wars; they mean nothing to us!” than a case of “Exactly where is this ‘Europe’ place you’re talking about?”

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Great work Procas! I’m on the job and only had a chance to give it the quick once over, but I like what I’m seeing so far!
    :-D

• Thanks, guys! Be sure to take a closer read, and then if you like the rules I’ve written, I’d love to have you both participate in a game of it. Having played blind a handful of times back on revised I can say it’s a really different and cool feel compared to standard A&A, and adding the same time element should only make it more interesting.

Also, I think it would be wise to add a +5 IPC NO for each major country, and +3 for minor countries, to cover the added cost of recon and espionage. This would end up being a +6 IPC per turn advantage for the allies (assuming paris falls on T1), which I think wouldn’t hurt.

• Is there anyone else interested in this? I was hoping some people would be interested and sign up for a trial game.

• Our group is trying to come up with rules similar to yours with the spy thing. However we are thinking about having actual units on the board. Also i was thinking of a new phase called the ‘‘political phase’’. Basically it will allow players to disrupt capitals, cause revolutions in enemy-controlled territories, and even cause some neutral powers to join your side. That’s my two cents anyway.

• @DessertFox599:

Our group is trying to come up with rules similar to yours with the spy thing. However we are thinking about having actual units on the board. Also i was thinking of a new phase called the ‘‘political phase’’. Basically it will allow players to disrupt capitals, cause revolutions in enemy-controlled territories, and even cause some neutral powers to join your side. That’s my two cents anyway.

Many years ago Eagle Games made the A&A clone Attack!!! with the rules you want, even had a deck of political cards. One card would make a neutral join your side, another card would make a riot in your enemies capital, another card would assassinate your leader, and so on. I figure you would have loved that game

pic222016_md.jpg
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb
    pic222016_md.jpg_thumb

• Customizer

@Narvik:

@DessertFox599:

Our group is trying to come up with rules similar to yours with the spy thing. However we are thinking about having actual units on the board. Also i was thinking of a new phase called the ‘‘political phase’’. Basically it will allow players to disrupt capitals, cause revolutions in enemy-controlled territories, and even cause some neutral powers to join your side. That’s my two cents anyway.

Many years ago Eagle Games made the A&A clone Attack!!! with the rules you want, even had a deck of political cards. One card would make a neutral join your side, another card would make a riot in your enemies capital, another card would assassinate your leader, and so on. I figure you would have loved that game

Yup have it. Your biggest problem will be finding it’s expansions. However you can buy the base game without the ships or half the board which makes the game more interesting. Too bad this game didn’t take off as well as it might have. I have allusions to do something with the game I have as an A&A variant.

I bought the box with It’s expansion for a steal in the early 2000’s as a “scrap game” specifically for A&A.

• @toblerone77:

Yup have it. Your biggest problem will be finding it’s expansions. However you can buy the base game without the ships or half the board which makes the game more interesting.

Unless I’m mistaken, the current version of Attack! is an all-in-one-game that combines in a single package what used to sold as two separate components (the base game and the expansion).

• Customizer

@CWO:

@toblerone77:

Yup have it. Your biggest problem will be finding it’s expansions. However you can buy the base game without the ships or half the board which makes the game more interesting.

Unless I’m mistaken, the current version of Attack! is an all-in-one-game that combines in a single package what used to sold as two separate components (the base game and the expansion).

You may be correct Marc. The version I have however was not the Attack “Deluxe” edition as I believe the version you mentioned is or was called. I know you can pick up the base game brand new dirt cheap on Amazon. As far as I know it is just a base game. However if it is the whole game I would encourage some one to pick it up for the price.

Eagle/Gryphon Games IMO is a weird company. Thier webstore seems to be on autopilot and they seem to specialize in selling bits from thier own product line that is out of print or out of stock. Maybe I’m not seeing thier concept in the way they see it, but thier business model is weird.

On the topic of Attack! There are some pretty interesting mechanics in the game. The board itself is really nice and there’s plenty of bits that an A&A customizer would like.

• @toblerone77:

You may be correct Marc. The version I have however was not the Attack “Deluxe” edition as I believe the version you mentioned is or was called. […] The board itself is really nice and there’s plenty of bits that an A&A customizer would like.

Yes, I was referring to “Deluxe”.  I own the original base game and original expansion game, and when I heard that a Deluxe version was coming out I considered buying it until I discovered it was juat a two-in-one repackaging of what I already had.

The game takes place in a quirky semi-alternate-reality version of the 1930s, with some decidely odd-looking tank sculpts and with Art Deco-ish graphics in the rulebook.  I agree that the sculpts have customizer potential.  The units that are perhaps the most compatible, look-wise, with the A&A OOB sculpts are the artillery guns.  The map – which is quite large – is a bit weird in its design, but I give it full credit for having full wraparound capabilities: the two halves can be assembled in two configurations (meaning with the eastern panel on the right and the western panel on the left, or vice-versa), and in both cases the land masses and sea routes connect perfectly.  I wish I could say the same about the Global 1940 map.

• Customizer

I’ve seriously considered using the map and customizing it for my never-ending variant project.

One thing I like in both Risk! And Attack! That I didn’t like previously is the “sea lane” movement as opposed to A&A’s transport only movement. This idea is one I’m tinkering with on the A&A maps not only to speed up the game but to also break away from standardized strategy. Which not only lengthens the game but contributes negatively IMO to replayability as well as other aspects.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m