• Has anyone else read a book or seen a movie that was so significant that it molded their overall outlook on life? 
    If you don’t quite follow me, here are some examples that did it for me:

Books
    The Dune series
    The Silmarillion
    Memnoch the Devil

Movies
    The Usual Suspects
    Memento
    Spawn (Animated)

• 2007 AAR League

fear and loathing in las vegas, boondock saints, and slc punk.

• Congrats on making Artillery by the way.  :-)

• I think this was a thread from last year… but anyway

Books:

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
    The World As Will and Representation
    Civilization and Its Discontents
    One Dimensional Man
    The Republic
    Faust

Movies:
    Longest Day
    Battlestar Galactica 1978
    Inn Of The Seventh Happiness
    Conspiracy
    Waterloo ( rob steiger version)
    Battle of Britain

• Books…

#1 by a mile has to be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

State of Fear by Crichton is probably also on my influential list.
    And I would also have to add (forgive me…)
    To Ride a Silver Broomstick by Silver Ravenwolf.  Pure trash, but it started my journey beyond agnosticism…

Movies…
    Patton.  It is just one of those movies that, upon watching it, makes you feel ready to conquer the world.
    Fahrenheit 451.  Obvious reasons.
    Andromeda Strain.  What science does not know CAN kill you…

• Usual suspects was dope. Kevin Spacey had his A game on. The ending still gives me goose bumps.
    Right off the top of my head I will say One Flew Over the cuckoo’s Nest, the movie, never read the book.

• @ncscswitch:

Books…

#1 by a mile has to be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

State of Fear by Crichton is probably also on my influential list.
    And I would also have to add (forgive me…)
    To Ride a Silver Broomstick by Silver Ravenwolf.  Pure trash, but it started my journey beyond agnosticism…

Movies…
    Patton.  It is just one of those movies that, upon watching it, makes you feel ready to conquer the world.
    Fahrenheit 451.  Obvious reasons.
    Andromeda Strain.  What science does not know CAN kill you…

(I am pretty sure you can take a joke switch)  :evil:

I figured yours would be:

“The kama sutra”
    “My life as a sexual deviant” by the marqi de sad (sp)?

I am in a goofy mood, had to make fun

• “Thus Spoke Zarathustra” I read in college IL.  The part that has been burned into my memmory (may not be an exact quote).

“Beware the so called sagely man who comes limping into the light.  Because he has learned too quickly, and the good things not at all”.  Than a few sentences later “It would be better if he had not been born at all”.

• Nah…

Believe it or not, I am actually very “tame” compared to most of the folks in that lifestyle.  I did meet my wife via Bondage.com, but since then the two of us have settled into a rather vanilla, typical married couple relationship.  But we do enjoy other couples from time to time…  :evil:

• For me it wasn’t a book or movie that molded my outlook on life. It was a tv commercial. Years ago there was a USMC commercial that stated " To win you have to be smart, to compete you have to be strong". When I first heard that I was mumbling to myself for a month that " I’m pretty smart". TO COMPETE YOU HAVE TO BE STRONG!! To go from weak to strong is simple. Grow balls!! Do something really out of character and begin standing up to anyone and everyone. What is difficult at first becomes easy as hell later. That was my life’s most important lesson. Of course if you never were a weak kid, then this lesson would not apply!

• The book “Dune” also made an impression on me.

Movies:
    Star Wars series
    The Matrix

• Books:

Foundation series by Asimov
    Homecoming series by Orson Scott Card
    (These are the only ones I can remember for right now)

Movies:
    A lot, can’t remember

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Books: David Feintuch’s Seafort Saga (7 books starting with Midshipman’s Hope)

Movie: By Dawn’s Early Light

Movie: Doctor Strangelove (Shows just what one small group of insane people can do to the world, as long as they’re the right group!)

Book: The Worm in the Apple

And many, many more. :)

• Forrest Gump pwns whatever movies you guys post.  Its the ultimate movie about the retard that could.  Forrest Gump FTW!!

• Books:  Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Confucius’ Analects, Gantz, A People’s History of the United States, just about anything from Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Movies: Gantz, Saving Private Ryan (honestly), Seven Samurai, A Very Long Engagement, Half Baked (I think half my brain has been used memorizing that movie from watching it so much years ago)

Of course I have forgotten many, but this is what I had of the top of my head.

• This was what molded my out look on life.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4668196322523357460

• 2007 AAR League

The book “one flew over the cuckoos nest” is from the indians point of view.  Its even better than the awesome movie.

Some books  -
          The bear and the dragon  by tom clancy        Very long.  again uses character jack ryan as president during a war b/w Russia and China

Ismael and My Ismael by daniel quinn          Girl talks to a gorrila that can communicate through physcokenisis or something like that.
                                                                    The ape “Ismael” tries to teach the girl how the world is totally F’ed up and how the world controlles people through “mother culture”.  A lot of going back to tribal ways and no locking up of the food.  Question work.  That stuff

The story of B by daniel quinn.      Same ape only about religion this time.

Banking on Baghdad by i forget.    The history of foreign influence in iraq going back to around 3000 b.c.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m