Winter/Seasonal House Rules

• I dont sure whit the -1 combat move…In the Ardenne german and Us infantry is not stuck in place… in the soviet counterattack at Moscow soviet infantry is not stuck in place. For me only mechcanized unit and air unit have a possibility of stuck in place.

• @GODLEADER:

I dont sure whit the -1 combat move…In the Ardenne german and Us infantry is not stuck in place… in the soviet counterattack at Moscow soviet infantry is not stuck in place. For me only mechcanized unit and air unit have a possibility of stuck in place.

It doesn’t mean the infantry are literally stuck. For example, Moscow is one territory. The Soviet infantry weren’t stuck, but they didn’t leave the area that is in A&A “Russia”. The Ardennes would be “Belgium” on the A&A board. I’m pretty sure the Battle of the Bulge never went outside that rough area (Maybe parts of France, but not all the way to Paris).

So the infantry could still move, but they certainly weren’t blitzing around Europe during the winter. This is reflected by Infantry not moving to other territories (though they can still “move” inside their territory).

• '17 '16

@GODLEADER:

I dont sure whit the -1 combat move…In the Ardenne german and Us infantry is not stuck in place… in the soviet counterattack at Moscow soviet infantry is not stuck in place. For me only mechcanized unit and air unit have a possibility of stuck in place.

Are yous suggesting that only Tank and Mechanized Infantry should be reduced to 1 move during winter?

• @Baron:

@GODLEADER:

Are yous suggesting that only Tank and Mechanized Infantry should be reduced to 1 move during winter?

As I said, winter did not effect the fighting, but winter made it harder to supply the troops. An A&A territory is huge as a country, and an A&A turn is 3 or 4 months. So in this operational scale, winter don’t effect combat much. Also both infantry and tanks used train to travel long distances, and winter don’t effect the railway too much. Actually both inf and tanks should move 2 in non-combat since they are supposed to be on train.

About infantry, this are men walking on feet, nothing can stop them, not mountains, not forest, not snow. French infantry walked from Poland to Moscow and back to Poland again during winter in the 1812 Napoleon campaign. I say that nothing can stop infantry.

Tanks is different, they got stuck in mud and snow. I figure that winter and some types of terrain may deny the tanks abilities, such as blitzing.

Thinking out loud, A&A is supposed to be a simple game, not complex like World in Flames or Gary Grigsbys war. A&A is grand strategy and it would be wrong to introduce too much of tactics at divisional level. To keep it simple I suggest that in winter all land units defend at 3, since winter slightly favors the defender, but most important, it is only one round of land combat in the winter turn, since winter have a bad impact on the supply line.

So end of line, naval and air goes as usual.
    Land combat is restricted to one round only, and all land units defend on 3 or less.
    No blitzing

• @Narvik:

@Baron:

@GODLEADER:

As I said, winter did not effect the fighting, but winter made it harder to supply the troops. An A&A territory is huge as a country, and an A&A turn is 3 or 4 months. So in this operational scale, winter don’t effect combat much. Also both infantry and tanks used train to travel long distances, and winter don’t effect the railway too much. Actually both inf and tanks should move 2 in non-combat since they are supposed to be on train.

About infantry, this are men walking on feet, nothing can stop them, not mountains, not forest, not snow. French infantry walked from Poland to Moscow and back to Poland again during winter in the 1812 Napoleon campaign. I say that nothing can stop infantry.

Tanks is different, they got stuck in mud and snow. I figure that winter and some types of terrain may deny the tanks abilities, such as blitzing.

Thinking out loud, A&A is supposed to be a simple game, not complex like World in Flames or Gary Grigsbys war. A&A is grand strategy and it would be wrong to introduce too much of tactics at divisional level. To keep it simple I suggest that in winter all land units defend at 3, since winter slightly favors the defender, but most important, it is only one round of land combat in the winter turn, since winter have a bad impact on the supply line.

So end of line, naval and air goes as usual.
    Land combat is restricted to one round only, and all land units defend on 3 or less.
    No blitzing

“About infantry, this are men walking on feet, nothing can stop them, not mountains, not forest, not snow. French infantry walked from Poland to Moscow and back to Poland again during winter in the 1812 Napoleon campaign. I say that nothing can stop infantry.”
    They also died in droves because of it. Death certainly stops infantry. I believe Napoleon lost over 90% of his men due to winter in that campaign. Maybe make so if you move infantry, roll a d6 for each one, on a 6 they survive. Remove all other infantry.

I’m a bit confused… you say winter doesn’t effect combat that much, but then make drastic changes to combat. I think combat should be left alone, and only effect movement (which relates to supply lines. Can’t advance if you have no fuel).

• A little rules for winter, if a player attack a territory with 4 infantry 2 tank and one tactical bomber, roll every motorizeds units (mech infantry, tank and planes) in this exemple 2 tank and the tactical bomber, if i got 2 or less the unit dont move on the attack. Is simple and got a malus to attack and bonus to def.

• @amanntai:

I’m a bit confused… you say winter doesn’t effect combat that much, but then make drastic changes to combat. I think combat should be left alone, and only effect movement (which relates to supply lines. Can’t advance if you have no fuel).

I totally agree, lets keep it simple. I would say all land units move 1 space only during winter turn. That would be close to the real thing.

• @GODLEADER:

A little rules for winter, if a player attack a territory with 4 infantry 2 tank and one tactical bomber, roll every motorizeds units (mech infantry, tank and planes) in this exemple 2 tank and the tactical bomber, if i got 2 or less the unit dont move on the attack. Is simple and got a malus to attack and bonus to def.

Nice thinking out of the box, and feel free to use it in your basement, but I don’t like it. First, aircrafts don’t mind if its winter or summer, they don’t fly in bad weather period. More flights were aborted during summer because of common rain, than in winter because of some rare blizzard. Second, I don’t like to roll for movement. I roll for combat, that’s it. Its better to let all land units move 1 space only during winter, that makes sense and is a simple rule, we are playing A&A not WiF or Gary Grigsbys war.

• Nice thinking out of the box, and feel free to use it in your basement, but I don’t like it. First, aircrafts don’t mind if its winter or summer, they don’t fly in bad weather period. More flights were aborted during summer because of common rain, than in winter because of some rare blizzard. Second, I don’t like to roll for movement. I roll for combat, that’s it. Its better to let all land units move 1 space only during winter, that makes sense and is a simple rule, we are playing A&A not WiF or Gary Grigsbys war.

Yes, only move 1 space in combat and non combat.

• Narvik, i dont utilize any winter rule in my basement, is just an idea…

• I wonder what the difference is in :
    Battles fought in Winter / Casualties    - VS -    Battles fought in Summer / Casualties

Cheers,
    Starlight Sniper

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m