• I’m playing Risk tonight with my entire family, my father, wife and 11 & 9 year old sons. I’ll Report the result. I’m training for an upcoming A&A family event.

• Morning Worsham. Have fun. Good luck getting your children into A&A. I am sure they will love  it with you teaching them.

• My sons loved the game. We played twice this weekend.

• Glad to hear it.
    I am hoping to play another WW1 game this week. Might try the tournament rules.

• '10

@ABWorsham:

I’m playing Risk tonight with my entire family, my father, wife and 11 & 9 year old sons. I’ll Report the result. I’m training for an upcoming A&A family event.

Ahhhh…  RISK.  The “Gateway Drug” of War games.

I have been training my son up on RISK also, moving towards A&A.

Jeremy

• i have a hard time playing RISK now. A&A is just soooooo much better

• I haven’t played Risk for tens of years. I would find it hard to play now too.
    I am sure my four year old will play my games when she is old enough. She is obsessed with landing Fts on a Carrier and has grown up with my games out somewhere in the house. She often picks up dropped pieces and hands them to me with some comment.

• @FieldMarshalGames:

Ahhhh…   RISK.  The “Gateway Drug” of War games.

Good description.

• @wittmann:

I am sure my four year old will play my games when she is old enough. She is obsessed with landing Fts on a Carrier and has grown up with my games out somewhere in the house. She often picks up dropped pieces and hands them to me with some comment.

This is very sweet, and a fine example of how well kids turn out when they’ve been given a good upbringing.  I’ve just imagined a hypothetical future post from you, dated about ten years from now, announcing to your fellow board members: “My teenage daughter has just beaten me for the first time at A&A Global 5th edition, and I can’t decide whether I should feel proud or humiliated.”

• Marc: unlike her mother, I let her win everything.
    I was a 40 year old father, so doting and spoiling is all I know.
    Like most children she cannot abide losing(or not winning) and I cannot abide her crying.
    It is a win win!

• @wittmann:

Marc: unlike her mother, I let her win everything.
    I was a 40 year old father, so doting and spoiling is all I know.
    Like most children she cannot abide losing(or not winning) and I cannot abide her crying.
    It is a win win!

Yes, a friend of mine once told me that, when she used to play Settlers of Cataan with her kids, she’d sometimes introduce a “well, let’s pretend the thief didn’t really steal your money” rule exception, for the same reason you state.

You’ll know your kid has really grown up when, some number of years from now, she puts a little black flag on the A&A table at the start of a game to signify that she will give you no quarter and that she genuinely expects none in return.  And by then, she’ll probably be good enough at the game to give you a real run for your money.

• Customizer

Ben,

@ABWorsham:

I’m playing Risk tonight with my entire family, my father, wife and 11 & 9 year old sons. I’ll Report the result. I’m training for an upcoming A&A family event.

––Now that’s what I’d call QUALITY TIME with your children!

“Tall Paul”

• Hopefully, those risk games end before the cards trade in for too many armies.

40+ armies for such a trade, added to regular production could build in a lottery mentality for your kids.

A&A has steadier reinforcement per turn and favors frontal defensive stacking .  This playing style would often lose in risk .

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m