Axis and Allies 1914 FAQ/Question and Answer Thread

• ::pictures Flashman taking a bath with 400 miniatures, 160 chips, and 36 dice::

• The Dardanelles aren’t closed, they are just mined. Seems strange.

I have some questions.

If you go through two mined sea zones are you subject to the mines twice?
    (UK Cruiser moves from 9 to 10 to 11.)

Do artillery fire during normal combat as well during amphibious invasions?
    It says they fire preemptively, then land combat proceeds normally. What does that mean? Do the artillery fire again during normal combat?

• Customizer

Yes, they do.

You roll for both mines.

• Do artillery fire once preemptively then once again in normal combat?

• Customizer

Yes.

• Thats crazy…… :mrgreen:

• Customizer

The idea is that they’re firing at the units coming ashore, who are in no position to return fire, certainly not from artillery.

• Yea, I like the rule. But they fire twice?
    That seems odd.

• In our game they fire twice, due to having the convergence of two forts in that sea zone.

• I’m a bit confused by this excerpt:

“If you move all of your units out of a contested territory and leave only units from the other side there, the other side will
    immediately claim the territory (see “Taking Control of a Territory”, page 20). If the territory was originally controlled by a
    power on the other side, that power will take control (even if it has no units present).”

Do you have to leave an occupational force in captured enemy territory?

• I think that means if you leave a contested territory. If they attacked you, lost all their units, the territory stays theirs until your turn.
    You can’t leave, or it reverts back to their control.

Imagine if Russia is trying to flush the Turks out of Romania (Russian controlled)
    They attack 10 Inf with 4 inf and 4 Artillery, but the defending turks score 8 hits.

Because the territory can’t become turkish on the Russian turn, when the Turkish turn comes around, this rule informs you that at least one unit of yours must stay in Romania, though it is empty of enemy forces, to establish control. Your entire force can’t charge onward to the Ukraine because only during YOUR turn can you take control of a territory.

• So the territory remains contested until Ottomans turn?

• Another question, can Austria-Hungary or Turkey declare unrestricted submarine warfare and if so does that force a US entry as well? The rule book specifies Germany. Are Austro-Hungarian

and Ottoman subs considered so subpar that they can’t declare USW?

• Official Q&A

@Hitlers:

I’m a bit confused by this excerpt:

“If you move all of your units out of a contested territory and leave only units from the other side there, the other side will immediately claim the territory (see Taking Control of a Territory, page 20). If the territory was originally controlled by a power on the other side, that power will take control (even if it has no units present).”

Do you have to leave an occupational force in captured enemy territory?

No.  The rule says “and leave only units from the other side there”.  If the territory has been captured, there will be no units from the other side in it.

@oztea:

I think that means if you leave a contested territory.

Correct.

@oztea:

If they attacked you, lost all their units, the territory stays theirs until your turn.
    You can’t leave, or it reverts back to their control.

No.  If all of the units from one side are removed from the territory for any reason, it is no longer contested and will become controlled immediately.

I am not going back and answering any questions in this thread from before the Rulebook was posted.

• It remains contested even if the enemy killed themselves attacking you. But only in the case where they are trying to push you out of a territory they control.
    If they fail to do so, it doesn’t become yours until your turn.

This rule will only matter in counterattacks that get eliminated.
    If you simply pull out of a contested territory it does become theirs though.

• Poor Kreig… :-o

It’s like having a baby and now you can’t do anything anymore…

• Official Q&A

@Hitlers:

Another question, can Austria-Hungary or Turkey declare unrestricted submarine warfare and if so does that force a US entry as well?

No.

• Official Q&A

@oztea:

It remains contested even if the enemy killed themselves attacking you. But only in the case where they are trying to push you out of a territory they control.
    If they fail to do so, it doesn’t become yours until your turn.

Wrong.

• Ok….now we are getting somewhere.

Can you repair at a friendly port?
    Are US land units allowed on allied soil, before the US is at war officially, if so what is the rationale behind that?

• If the Ottoman Empire controls Constatinople, but has no naval units in sea zone 20, can a British battleship move freely from sea zone 19 to sea zone 20, where it rolls for mines due to the Ottoman naval base, and then continue on to sea zone 21?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m