• Customizer

Based on previous Axis and allies games, the unit equivalents are Corps level units rather than regimental or divisional in scale.
    I prefer more individualized sculpts but WWI was an anachronously fought war.
    Many men died as in the American Civil War due to old tactics being used against modern weapons.
    Cavalry was more important and more widely used than Tanks and should have been included but they were already found to be
    better used as Dragoons rather than the napoleonic Cavalry who fought on horseback.
    The machine guns and nonlinear tactics made that form of warfare obsolete and costly.
    Expect this game to be mostly an infantry slogging match with not much maneuvering if history is to be repeated.
    Even though there were were other newer arms of service, it was the infantry that made most of the gains rather
    than the more mobile services. Stormtroopers broke the deadlock and gained miles of new ground in the west rather than
    the yards prior.
    Might not be as exciting as the WWII version as the use of new technology (those used in WWII) were just being developed.
    Fighter planes began as observation planes with armed observers and then developed into dedicated fighters and bombers.
    Naval combat should be more exciting as this was truly the age of the Capital ships before being eclipsed by Aircraft carriers
    in WWII.
    I wonder if the naval battle board could be made like the children’s Battleship game. The land game is going to be nothing more than
    an attritional dice roll fest so I don’t see any exciting mechanics there. I also wonder how much Politics play into the game as well as
    supply since the scope of the game consisted of which side had more resources to throw into the fight.

• Customizer

@Flashman:

What colour is “plum” exactly? I’ve eaten plums in lots of colours.

Won’t the French blue to too light for 1914 units?

I’m assuming that they’ll cast them in multiple colors, as they have with their others. And, once they react to the desire in the community for more WWI sculpts, I imagine it will be all too easy to crank out a set of these for the new game, since they have the mold and everything.

• Customizer

@Flashman:

What colour is “plum” exactly? I’ve eaten plums in lots of colours.

Purple.
    I got a couple of sets of HBG’s Early War Russians in Plum. They look kind of weird to me (purple T-34s). I think the Plum color was intended for the Spanish Republican Army for those that want to fight the Spanish Civil War. The Republicans got a lot of equipment from Russia.

• @sgtwiltan:

The land game is going to be nothing more than
    an attritional dice roll fest so I don’t see any exciting mechanics there.

If the game would have used the “Great War” blow up box idea for the Western Front the A&A 1914 would have room for maneuver and strategy instead of the boring Western Front we are getting in the game.

WF.jpg

• I’ve done a quick comparison between the A&A 1914 game’s artillery pieces and one of its naval units (both so far visible only in low-quality images) and a couple of pieces from other games that they resemble somewhat.  The solid-cylinder wheel assembly of the artillery piece looks a bit like the one in Superpowers.  The naval unit (a transport?) looks a bit like the destroyer piece from Enemy on the Horizon – and I’d even go so far as to say that the EOTH piece looks better-proportioned and more detailed.  I may change my mind when better pics of the 1914 pieces come out, but the equipment sculpt quality so far looks uneven.

Comparison Shot.jpg

• Customizer

Attack artillery might do the job.

The tanks could pass for a French or Italian design.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/422381/attack?size=original

A possible political use for new infantry units is that they react by national affiliation.

Take the example of Bulgaria. When its activated it gets 4 Turkish units, and thereafter is part of Turkey in all but name.

But say the Bulgarian infantry are a different sculpt. This can work both ways: they might get a combat bonus when defending Bulgaria itself; but if their home patch is taken by the Russians, they may be less keen on falling back to help their old masters the Turks defend Constantinople.

• Customizer

As a rough guide, what scale of fighter plane would be perfect for the game, given that those on the setup photo are clearly too small.

Something along the lines of fighters from WWII A&A, but maybe a scale range up as these planes were pretty small.

Anyone know of any available? In plastic please.

• @Flashman:

As a rough guide, what scale of fighter plane would be perfect for the game, given that those on the setup photo are clearly too small.

Something along the lines of fighters from WWII A&A, but maybe a scale range up as these planes were pretty small.

Anyone know of any available? In plastic please.

my guess would be 1:350 or 87 mm for the scale.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m