POLL: Best rounds to start the global war?

• @BJCard:

I’m starting to warm up to G1:J1. � It leaves no time for the Allies to regroup or even position themselves properly for defense. � What do you guys think?

i agree 100%
    it packs a big punch, can cut UKpac income down to 7 ipc by round 2, does not give the US time to flood the pacific board with more IPC than they can in the P40 game and puts lots of presure on russia asap.

• Wow, well, G2:J2 is the winner (10 votes) with
    G1:J1 (9 votes) and
    G1:J3 (7 votes) not far behind.

Anyone else want to vote or comment?

• I’d say G1:J1 on the basis that every round you delay is another round the Allies are building units and not losing them.

• @Spendo02:

I’d say G1:J1 on the basis that every round you delay is another round the Allies are building units and not losing them.

I agree with this 100% - especially on the pacific half of the board. While it is true that they don’t produce as many units when not at war, the smart US player will put a majority of his units on that side of the board anyway so my philosophy is to start chipping away ASAP. I guess in my mind it comes down to how long you want the game the last and if you feel like fighting a war with more boats…maybe some people are into that.

• @aaronimpulse:

@Spendo02:

I’d say G1:J1 on the basis that every round you delay is another round the Allies are building units and not losing them.

I agree with this 100% - especially on the pacific half of the board. While it is true that they don’t produce as many units when not at war, the smart US player will put a majority of his units on that side of the board anyway so my philosophy is to start chipping away ASAP. I guess in my mind it comes down to how long you want the game the last and if you feel like fighting a war with more boats…maybe some people are into that.

Some people would say the US has to spend at least one full turn on the Atlantic side to help the UK with Italy and/or help defend its fleet from German naval/air power.

• Sponsor

G1:J1 tied with G2:J2 @ 10 each. The only reason I see a delay past round 2 is if there is a blatant effort to do Sealion by turn 3.

• TripleA

G1 is something to do for fun, not necessarily to win. There is no convincing me otherwise.

• I see the merit on G1:J1 and G2:J2.  I think waiting until J3 even with a G1 is just giving up on the Pacific side for Europe side win.

• Sponsor

@Cow:

G1 is something to do for fun, not necessarily to win. There is no convincing me otherwise.

Than you must be calling my opponents and I weak, because I win with it a lot, a my opponents beat me with it as well. The G1 may not be for everyone, but calling it a novelty is insulting. Many players here have come out and said its viable and it’s position in the poll at 24 votes deserves some respect, just like your ideas on a J1 attack also deserves respect at 17 votes.

• '12

I think you’re misunderstanding Cow’s point, but of course it is up to them to clarify it.  I don’t think Cow is saying you can’t win, just that it doesn’t offer any dramatic advantages over any other equally viable route to victory.  Since you can win just as easily doing other things, then you do the G1 attack to give yourself some variety.

• TripleA

G1 is fun. It offers no distinct advantage to other strategies. It is fun. If that is insulting so be it.

• @Cow:

G1 is fun. It offers no distinct advantage to other strategies. It is fun. If that is insulting so be it.

I agree.  Not seeing the value.  It’s not like you advance your push into Russia by a space.  You shouldn’t be able to push in any faster, because you can’t advance a space on G2 if the Russian player is playing right

• Sponsor

I agree that all strategies being equal, G1 is the most fun. I also agree that the economic penalties involved in a G1 attack on Russia negate the strategic positioning Germany gains from such a move. Therefore, putting it at par (IMO) with many of the options presented in this poll (and not with any advantage). My only objective in Cow’s comment was the notion that you shouldn’t do it if you want to win, but that was my assumption on the meaning of it and I’m sorry if I misunderstood the statement.

I wish to clarify that my position has always been that both a G1 and G2 attack on Russia are both viable strategies to win. My defensive attitude is mostly caused by those that suggest it doesn’t belong in intellegent strategy discussion when they have never tried it. That’s not directed at Cow, he has been very open minded, and looking at the poll results, maybe it’s time to drop my shield. I just want people to say that it’s a matter of preference in regards to G1 vs. G2 (or even G3), and not that one is better than the other.

Because there are many players ready and willing to support any one of these options.

• There you go - cooler heads prevail - kudos

G1 is very fun for both players!  The back and forth on “the only front that really matters” is much more dynamic and fun!

• G1 is the most fun, but I think G3 is the most reliable and the safest.

• You know, it wouldn’t be all bad if Russia didn’t start the game neutral.
    Would have been a lot less rules, and there would be more action in the first few rounds of the game.
    Just a thought

• You know, it wouldn’t be all bad if Russia didn’t start the game neutral.
    Would have been a lot less rules, and there would be more action in the first few rounds of the game.
    Just a thought

Everyone starts at war is also a possibility.

• TripleA

I always prefer to be at war sooner than later. I tend to do crazy stuff when I dow G1, I try to take Russia on round 5 like a champ.

• In my last game I was able to take moscow on R5 from a G1 DOW.  They didn’t have much left, maybe 6 Inf and 3 Art in the South when I was able to can open the lone Inf blocking a stack of 12 Armor and 10 Mech 3 spaces from Moscow.  They blitzed through the opening and parked right next to Moscow with only a few Inf and 2 Ftrs there which they reinforced with 7 Inf and 3 Armor.

Ends up I took Moscow with 4 Armor or so remaining, but the Russians were able to liberate it on their turn.  Granted Germany had 90+ IPC to spend on the next round, but without any control of a Minor near Moscow to keep the pressure on, Germany was in a bad spot and it felt like the game started over except now the US had the TT rotation landing in Africa, then S.France, and eventually Rome.  I felt it was worth the gambit, but the lesson learned is the blitz is only effective if you can keep the pressure on after obtaining the short lived victory.

All in all G1 worked well, but the gambit to take Moscow quickly only resulted in losing my momentum and turning defensive in Europe without maintaining control of the Reds.

On the other side of the board J1 DOW, took FIC and built a minor down in the south.  Cleared out the US fleet in Hawaii and even cleared the US homeland fleet later on.  China put up a stellar fight as I focused on taking Flip and allowing China a turn to control Burma with the assumption that I’d be able to keep the pressure on with Mechs and my AF until they folded.  Eventually they had, but I had to give up the Minor I built on J1 and replace it with one in FIC on J2.  Japan actually took Hawaii because the US spent 99% of their money in the Atlantic and I was only one VC away from victory there but could never garner the momentum to get into India even though they were perpetually collecting 12-14 IPC / round compared to Japan’s 45-52.  I spent a lot of my Navy and Air Force keeping the US away from any real threat as I tried to keep hold of the DEI, which I was able to hold all but Java and never got that NO.  In hindsight I don’t know if taking Hawaii was a better move which kept the US away or if using those units to get Java would have been more beneficial.

Note I told my opponent the general plan a few days in advance so there was no element of surprise - I didn’t want a cheap-o victory if I could secure it.  Note we also played from around 10 AM, with a break for lunch until shortly after 8 PM.  Even with a G1/J1 DOW the game still lasted many hours.

I look forward to refining the strategy more but I’d say theres more entertainment in the G1/J1 than any other form.

• TripleA

I am surprised you did not come up with the pacific win.

Also taking Russia even if just for a round… does mean you don’t have to worry about Russia for awhile. You could not drop say 10 inf west germany, 3 inf france, 5 mech 5 armor germany and inf the rest of the minors?  That way you have a turtle force to smooth things over and a push force for your next go?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m