il-2 sturmvoik
    P61 black widdow
    Macchi C.205
    me109
    P51

in no particular order

• '17 '16 '13 '12

De Havilland Mosquito

• I went to the National Air and Space Museum yesterday, the FW-190 was awesome.

• Looks good, Worsham.
    My wife’s uncle has invited me to the UK’s 2nd biggest Aeroplane museum(Cosford, Shropshire)when he next takes Al’s grandfather. He says he thinks there is an ME262 and a 190!
    Have tried to check, but the website only says there are 72 planes.
    Is more exciting not knowing!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@wittmann:

He says he thinks there is an ME262 and a 190!

I was at the US Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson in Dayton, Ohio a few weeks back and saw their Me-262 and Fw-190… those planes are so much smaller than you’d think. Really, really cool though. It kind of opens your eyes a bit when you walk in to the first hangar and see the massive tail fin for Bock’s Car… I got to touch it… wow, what a thrill.

• '10

@Fishmoto37:

0 killer!

I remember standing in our back yard as a youngster in the early 1940s and seeing P-38s fly over. Like the straight ahead firepower and the saftey of two Allison engines in the long distance missions of the Pacific.

• Thanks Hoffman and Fishmoto.
    I am never happier than walking around WW1 or WW2 planes in a  museum and telling myself, or whomever I am with, what they are. I love the vain, show off, child in me!
    Only standing in front of a German tank makes me happier(and it has been far too long now.)
    Bovington will be visited again this Spring.

• Yesterday I saw a Zero, Spitfire, ME-109, P-51 and  Macchi C.202 at the Smithsonian Air and Space Center.

• '10

@Tall:

Hey Guys,

There are so many VARIABLES,…So many ANSWERS. May I ask what qualities we are basing our opinions on?

Beauty
    Operational capabilities
    Rugedness
    Dependability
    Most/Least produced
    Most advanced technology
    By country
    By Theater
    By Campaign
    By Type
    Best “fit” for the situation

I’m NOT trying to be a “fun-killer” here,…but there isn’t just ONE, because the answer changes whenever you modify the question.

“Tall Paul”

p.s.—My Dad was wounded by a 500 lb. bomb dropped by a flying ME-262 he was trying to point out to his buddies. He really respects the ME-262.

His favorite aircraft is undoubtably the P-47 Thunderbolt. He once saw one attacking a German flak-tower. After taking a direct hit the P-47 staggered, then flew away. My Dad and his buddies saw something fall off of the Thunderbolt, so they went over and found two complete cylinders from the P-47’s radial engine,…yet the “Jug” still flew home. Wow!, Impressive. Dad said the XIX Air Force P-47’s saved his as* on numerous occasions. It was without a doubt, the BEST ground attack aircraft in WW2, possibly of all time.

I understand your thoughts about the JUG being the best ground attack aircraft of WWII. But I question your comment “possibly of all time”. As I recall, the F4U was considered a great ground attack aircraft so much so that continued to be produced into the 1950s. Not sure of the date. I think it was powered by the same radial engine as the P-47. The F4U was one of the best friends of the 1st Marine division at the Frozen Chosin area of N. Korea in 1950. Of course in later times we must consider the A-10. But as far as WWII is concerned the F4U has to be considered for its longivity and versatility. Carrier based as well as land based.

• Customizer

Fishmoto37,

––Bingo! It took longer than I thought for someone to bring up the F-4U Corsair.

----I would consider the F-4U Corsair as my all-around favorite aircraft considering many variables.

Looks–------A truly awesome looking streamlined a/c with gull wings.
    Power-------One of the most powerful engines.
    Speed-------One of the fastest a/c. Especially the later model.
    Ruggedness–Anyone having read about them knows this.
    Dogfighting–Just ask the Aces in Marine VMF-214 “Black Sheep” and US Navy “Jolly Rogers” squadrons.
    Versatility—Ended up being a carrier as well as a land-based fighter and fighter/bomber.
    Multi-Role—Fantastic as a pure fighter, and deadly as a fighter/bomber. It’s radial engine allowed it to be a ground attack a/c. They tried using the wonderful P-51 Mustangs in the ground attack mode in Korea until they lost so many of them due to damage to their liquid(glycol) cooling systems. And the Corsair’s powerful engine allowed it to tote a respectable load for bombing, including rockets.
    Production–If I remember correctly it was the only WWII fighter picked to continue in production after the war. The A-4D Skyraider doesn’t count here.  
    ----The Japanese called it “Whistling Death” for the sound the air made ‘whistling’ through it’s radiators. Now that’s an Awesome Name!

Can I get an AMEN!!!

“Tall Paul”

• '10

@Tall:

Fishmoto37,

––Bingo! It took longer than I thought for someone to bring up the F-4U Corsair.

----I would consider the F-4U Corsair as my all-around favorite aircraft considering many variables.

Looks–------A truly awesome looking streamlined a/c with gull wings.
    Power-------One of the most powerful engines.
    Speed-------One of the fastest a/c. Especially the later model.
    Ruggedness–Anyone having read about them knows this.
    Dogfighting–Just ask the Aces in Marine VMF-214 “Black Sheep” and US Navy “Jolly Rogers” squadrons.
    Versatility—Ended up being a carrier as well as a land-based fighter and fighter/bomber.
    Multi-Role—Fantastic as a pure fighter, and deadly as a fighter/bomber. It’s radial engine allowed it to be a ground attack a/c. They tried using the wonderful P-51 Mustangs in the ground attack mode in Korea until they lost so many of them due to damage to their liquid(glycol) cooling systems. And the Corsair’s powerful engine allowed it to tote a respectable load for bombing, including rockets.
    Production–If I remember correctly it was the only WWII fighter picked to continue in production after the war. The A-4D Skyraider doesn’t count here. � 
    ----The Japanese called it “Whistling Death” for the sound the air made ‘whistling’ through it’s radiators. Now that’s an Awesome Name!

Can I get an AMEN!!!

“Tall Paul”

Also the F4U2 version carried radar in the starboard wing and was used as a night fighter.

• '17 '16 '15

AMEN!

• Customizer

And what about 4 20mm cannons!

• Post 9,  the F4U the best air cooled fighter
    It would be an awsome toy to own

• My vote goes to the Arado AR-234, the first jet bomber: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arado_Ar_234

A close second is the ME-262.

• ME 262

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m