HBG's Global War 1939 FAQ

• This is for the 1st edition map. What do you think of giving Germany a better chance for Sea Lion. Take away UKs +1 for inf and +2 for figs on defense when One of the 3 territories for UK Island is attacked. Give Germany the money to offset the US being at war if they take London.
    It may make Italy stronger but oh well.
    My concern is US may go more KGF and maybe not .

Game just seems to be rush to Moscow for Germany every game.

Thoughts ?

WoW, simply wow.

This 39 Varient is deeply flawed.
    I have now a few games under my belt on this particular map and set up. And I have come to the conclusion that in order for you to attempt to make this more historically accurate, You have unneedingly extended the start of the game by at least 2 hrs.  For being the Aggressor in WW2, Germany sure has a alot of constraints in what it can and cant do at game start.

Also you have unrealistically made UK too strong w their +2+1 bonus in home island… but nothing for fortress europe?

Whats the deal w the fucked up sub destroyer rules, 1destroyer per 1 sub is cool, but if the subs sneak shot, UK can launch all its land based planes and shoot at any sub that sneak shot?

Also, NB’s w a AA capability is retarded, Another UK lover’s Idea i assume.

Whats with UK’s Money magically disappearing if for some Miracle London Falls? Again BROKEN…Whats the incentive in taking London… Again none

Whats with Poland? All 4 games Germ ignores the Stack of Poles in western Poland for whole game, way to stay historically accurate.

Also you SBR rules are to lax. Little risk big reward for the bombers owners. Always on AA fixs this.

you can argue the VC conditions for a win, but most people play till a maj. capitol falls reguardless of VC controlled

All 4 games same w 4 different german players.  Attack Russia because UK is unrealistically a viable target.

I have come to the conclusion that the Axis can not lose short of getting diced. Especially if Germ goes at them (RUSSIA) right away.

In Short this Varient is inconsistant in its rules and implication of said rules, Needlessly lengthening this game by alot time wise, Making the rules more complex, therefore time consuming in itself. And in the end, you get the same result, Germany taking Russia out, EVERY game.

Sometimes, the KISS method works best and not over complicate things.

Not all ideas implemented in this varient r bad, I like the rolling of french territory after Paris falls for example.

I would not recommend this rules set, its incomplete and Biased

• @Deaths:

WoW, simply wow.

This 39 Varient is deeply flawed.
    I have now a few games under my belt on this particular map and set up. And I have come to the conclusion that in order for you to attempt to make this more historically accurate, You have unneedingly extended the start of the game by at least 2 hrs.  For being the Aggressor in WW2, Germany sure has a alot of constraints in what it can and cant do at game start.

True

Also you have unrealistically made UK too strong w their +2+1 bonus in home island… but nothing for fortress europe?

True. Take away bonus. no need for Fortress Europe.

Whats the deal w the fucked up sub destroyer rules, 1destroyer per 1 sub is cool, but if the subs sneak shot, UK can launch all its land based planes and shoot at any sub that sneak shot?

True. Just keep 1 for 1 period.

Also, NB’s w a AA capability is retarded, Another UK lover’s Idea i assume.

True. But only give them 2 shots at any amount of planes.

Whats with UK’s Money magically disappearing if for some Miracle London Falls? Again BROKEN…Whats the incentive in taking London… Again none

True

Whats with Poland? All 4 games Germ ignores the Stack of Poles in western Poland for whole game, way to stay historically accurate.

Ha  :-D

Also you SBR rules are to lax. Little risk big reward for the bombers owners. Always on AA fixs this.

50/50 0n this. Figs could be to far away for AA’s to hit.

you can argue the VC conditions for a win, but most people play till a maj. capitol falls reguardless of VC controlled

Most games now are Victory City win conditions that I can see.

All 4 games same w 4 different german players.  Attack Russia because UK is unrealistically a viable target.

So true in this game. What happens if Germany fails to take Paris ? Never get to Moscow and Sea Lion to hard. At least take away the UK bonus if Paris attack fails.

I have come to the conclusion that the Axis can not lose short of getting diced. Especially if Germ goes at them (RUSSIA) right away.

True. But it happens in all games.

In Short this Varient is inconsistant in its rules and implication of said rules, Needlessly lengthening this game by alot time wise, Making the rules more complex, therefore time consuming in itself. And in the end, you get the same result, Germany taking Russia out, EVERY game.

So true.

Sometimes, the KISS method works best and not over complicate things.

Always

Not all ideas implemented in this varient r bad, I like the rolling of french territory after Paris falls for example.
    True. But bad vichy rolls can even put Germany futher behind the 8 ball.

I would not recommend this rules set, its incomplete and Biased

Agree on some of these comments to a point.

• Have a new player in group. His question is about the strict neutral rules. He says on page 29 it says * Example if Germany captures Denmark, then Iceland and Greenland become Pro-Allies and plus they have the same roundels.

He’s saying if the Capital Ankara is captured by the axis , then the other 2 territories become Pro-Allied. He’s stressing the example is the rule for all.

Now been many of issues with rule clarifications over the years. We have played 30 games now and have a buddy that has a play group and from what I’ve seen over the years on site ( may have missed some ) where Denmark is a special rule and the word Example should be removed.

All other strict neutrals follow the strict neutral rules in book. Capital captured other territories become pro either side until any country activates them and all ships rolled for,  or if don’t capture capital, everything becomes other side or if a non capital territory is attacked then the other territories become other side.

Anybody still playing 1st Edition. You out there WILD BILL ?

• OK. Got the rules confirmed and worked out.

• What is the font used by HBG for the Global War Map territory names? I was doing some color editing to the map for my own purposes and wanted to eliminate the artifacting around the lettering by just redoing the province name.

• Hi guys,
    just a short question about the US National objective. The US starts with 80 IPC into war. do i have to add these 20 ipc from the NO into ?
    US starts with 100 IPC into war ?

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

The rule book says Germany cannot use a Japanese base, so I would assume the US couldn’t use a UK base.  Is the US allowed to build an air or naval base in the UK?

• Which 39 rules you going by ? 1st edition or 2nd edition using the 36 39 map ?

1st edition you can use a friendly air or naval base.

You cannot build a base unless u own that land territory at the start of your turn.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

We’re using the latest set of rules that are currently available on HBG’s site. So if the US cannot use a UK airbase and cannot build one, how is it supposed to use paratroopers?  I’m thinking we’ll use the first ed rule there and be allowed to use allies’ bases.  Anyone else wonder about that in the newest rules?

• The 2nd edition rules are for the new 36 39 map.

So yes you were using the wrong rules for just the 39 1st edition map. Use 1st edition 7.2 rules.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

When we looked again at the rules we have, we noticed that paratroopers do not have to start in an air base.  That was a forehead-slapping moment. :roll:

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

“A nation that loses its capital loses all of its saved IPPs (even if it does not technically surrender). Some nations can set up a second capital.”

Does the capturing player get to keep the IPPs?

• Page 11 in rules: Enemy gets Capitals icp’s.
                            Except for Russia and UK London.

Page 16 in rules:  Russia - Money goes to bank when Moscow is captured by enemy.

Page 19 in rules:  UK - Money goes to bank when London is captured by enemy.

• @DMcLaren:

“A nation that loses its capital loses all of its saved IPPs (even if it does not technically surrender). Some nations can set up a second capital.”

Does the capturing player get to keep the IPPs?

No, the capturing player does not get to keep the IPP. See:
    http://www.globalwargame.com/www/question/money-from-deveated-nation/

(I’m guessing DMcLaren is asking about the 2nd edition of the 36/39 game, as his words are the exact words from the manual 9.20)

• I reread his post. I see he mentioned using 1st edition rule for bases in 2nd edition 36 39 game.

Just a reminder this thread is for the 1st edition rules.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

We’re using 2nd edition, version 1.2.

• Hi,
    here is a question we are contemplating with HGB Axis&Allies 1939 Revised Map, 7.2 Setup

Would neutral ships and more specifically neutral coastal ships defend themselfs (and in doing so prevent a landing) if an agressor attempted a landing into a landzone of that neutral country from the sea zone where that neutral countries (coastal) ships are located?

Or do you guys consider them harbored until after the fact just up for grabs for the agressor or the opposite faction via the rolling for neutral ships.

E.g. If Germany attempted a landing in Oslo from SZ7 where norwegian ships are also located.

Thanks in advance

• Yes the neutral ships get to defend.

• Hi,

got a question to the japanse sneak attack. If is use these sneak attack against us troops their not be able to shoot back in the first round of combat. This also involved the AAA firing at attacking aircraft?

thx for advantage

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m