• Hi guys, TheWarNoob here. I was deciding what kind of strategy I want to use in my next Global game, i will be Germany. I want to do one of 2 things

• Attack the Russians in the South. I want to quickly pursue the Russians and grab their valuable territories in the Caucasus. I will then use the money from there to help defend in against the Americans. Then I can build factories in Southern Russia to produce tanks to attack Moscow. For this I would build a minor factory in Romania G1

• Cut off the British from their supplies using bombers and subs. For this I would use 3 subs and a bomber as my purchases. But I don;t know if should do this because the British do not seem too capable of hurting Germany.

Give me your opinion on what I should do, thanks!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Honestly, in general there is nothing wrong with your concepts.

Just keep working from there, and play the game.  You’re going to have to learn by doing.  It’s the only way to in Axis and Allies.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gargantua:

Honestly, in general there is nothing wrong with your concepts.

Just keep working from there, and play the game.  You’re going to have to learn by doing.  It’s the only way to in Axis and Allies.

You also have the option to learn by observation too. :P  Well, you can go look at games that have been played and follow what was done and then what happened to stop what was done, etc.

• Sponsor

Gargantua is right, I played Germany so badly once that the game was over in 3 hours, but I learned more in that game than reading all the posts in world.

You’ve read ALL the posts in the world?

Holy * * * *.

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

Holy * * * *.

All but the ones in the Harry Potter forums.

@Young:

@Gargantua:

Holy * * * *.

All but the ones in the Harry Potter forums.

No one can blame you for skipping those!  What with names like Herminoine!  I mean COME ON!

Herminoine

A name like that, just people all the more right to kill themselves.

@Gargantua:

Herminoine

A name like that, just people all the more right to kill themselves.

The Seirra Club once said that the problem with the world is that there are too many people on it.  Perhaps after we kill all the members of the Seirra Club off, we can go after people named Hermoinie or however it’s spelled!  :roll: :evil: :wink:

• Well…um…thank you all for your extremely…relevant opinions. I posted this because I know a thing or two about WW2 History and I know that when Hitler tried to take Russia, he went for the Caucasus Oil fields and ended up getting destroyed. I had hoped to take this historical route, but making sure that I can pin England down so they down RAF by butt on the way to Moscow.

One other thing, could someone please give me some general advice on how to take Africa as Italy? Should I park some ships in seazone 96 and ferry men from Italy into Tobruk? This is what I plan to do, so I can neutralize the ability of England to raid my transports with fighters.

Okay, I think your first biggest mistake is trying to recreate World War II.

Remember, Germany lost World War II!

That does not mean not to attack through the Caucasus, it just means that recreating a failed strategy might not be optimal.  As I see it, there are three major avenues of attack:

1)  Through the Black Sea (minor in Greece or Major in Romania and then transports to bring troops through SZ 100)
    2)  Through the Ukraine (sort of a lose/lose for me, being Ukranian in heritage, makes it hard on me to know what to feel - I liken this to how you might feel about taking W. USA for instance)
    3)  Through Karelia/Arkhangelsk via ground and transport.

The question is not what Uncle Adolf did, it’s what you think you can use to win.  Oh and keep in mind the idea is to WIN, not to take capitols!

It’s all about Getting Italy going.  They have a FAT series of National objectives that bolster your income instantly.  You HAVE to do this.

That said… Italies first move, is all dependant on what, and how well, the British decide to do.

Try a fighter on the first turn,  and focus on the tertiary NO’s,  Clear Med,  Greece/Gibraltar/ Southern france.

Then finish taking north africa,  keep putting pressure on Egypt till it cracks.

As soon as you get Egypt and can hold it for a turn, PAY for the factory there.  By this time the Americans should be on you.  It’s all about stalling tactics,  trying to keep them out of the med/gibraltar,  whilst pressing on the Middle east.

As for the Germans…  I find just taking the heat, whilst italy grows to economic parity, is what matters.  Keep your fleet alive, and in the Baltic if necessary.  pressure Leningrad and London simultaneously with that fleet - early in the game.  Take Leningrad later.

Built a minor in Romania,  and force all your troops south.  Make a hard drive for the factory in UKR.  Then… sit and wait, unless you get other oppurtunities.  Try to goad the russians into attacking you,  they’ll lose their edge.  Mix in the odd italian unit, to provide you a can-opener oppurtunity for the Russian capital. Build mobile units in Romania, and infantry into Ukraine.  Build up…  use Berlin and your navy to put a push on Leningrad - FORCE the issue.

Once you have Leningrad,  AND Romania/Ukr, that’s 9 units a turn, even if it’s just infantry, that you are pouring onto the russians.  Support yourself with some aircraft… keep your planes alive, and the allies guessing.  Make them pay for any stupid manuevers.   Allow the allies to make a mistake, and break their backs for it.

I find Russia starts to crack once you’ve edged them for about 10 infantry,  the trickling units from Leningrad/your navy are what take moscow usually… not your main defensive force (Which will need air defense) in the Ukraine.  Regardless,  let them attack.

If you get worried… attack into  the Middle east anyways.  Or if you get restless, or if you think you’re going to lose.

The best way to beat America, is to have your Japanese Ally help you,  and if both of your force the allies into a position, where the Americans need to be everywhere at once,  you’ve got them over a barrel.

I’m just finishing a 16 hour work shift, as a Superintendent of over 150+ guys on a 72 million dollar project that is behind schedule and poorly consulted/coordinated.  So if there are grammatical errors, or otherwise in my comments above.  Deal with it.

IMHO assume England goes Taranto (SZ 97) and base your moves on that.  If they don’t then they are stupid and you have way more units than you should which is a good thing…if they do then that is okay because you planned for it.

• Perhaps the biggest value Italy can provide (outside of taking advantage of Allied misplays to get NO’s) is to land its fighters over smaller German contingents.  Russia may want to counter attack a move that left Germany with 5 inf and 2 tanks, but it sure won’t do it with 2-3 italian fighters over it.  You can use this to your advantage to hold lines you didn’t think you’d be able to.  In effect, it allows you to make bold moves.

• Harry Potter is a million times better than Lord of the Rings and Star wars combined!

• @Cmdr:

Remember, Germany lost World War II!

WHAT!?! When did this happen and why wasnt I informed!!??!!  :lol:

WarNoob, the best advice is to make sure you keep the initiative as Germany. You want your opponents to have to play reactionary games (as in the have to react to you moves) and keep them off balance. As Germany has the first turn she can set the tempo of the game, and the harder you hit the allies then the longer you’ll keep the initiative. Try doing things like taking all 3 French territories on the first turn and sinking as much of the Royal Navy as possible. This will be quite the blow to the Brits and you can spend turn 2 menacing them and threating them with invasion (sealion). If your ultimate goal is taking the caucases then your war with Britian from this point will only consist of using you airforce and subs to knock out ships and convoy raid while from turn 2 on your land forces should be marshalled towards the east. Buying transports as Germany is a good idea as you can threaten the UK with invasion(even if you have no intention of) and also use them to reinforce scandanavia or assault northen Russia(which given your stated objective of taking the caucases would help this cause). These are really just some ideas to think about when playing, remember as ol’ Adi Hitler said "Strenght lies in attack, not defense! So if all else fails, attack!

Good luck and good gaming :-D

• Right on, Clyde. Creating and maintaining the initiative in A&A ranks as #1 above and beyond any and all specific strategies/units purchased, etc.

• Sponsor

@Stalingradski:

Right on, Clyde. Creating and maintaining the initiative in A&A ranks as #1 above and beyond any and all specific strategies/units purchased, etc.

Agreed, however, a slight pause at some point, may be required to prevent spreading one self to thin.

@Young:

@Stalingradski:

Right on, Clyde. Creating and maintaining the initiative in A&A ranks as #1 above and beyond any and all specific strategies/units purchased, etc.

Agreed, however, a slight pause at some point, may be required to prevent spreading one self to thin.

Just remember, there are many times when something looks sub-optimal but really work out well for you!

Case in point:  21 Japanese aircraft attack 8 british infantry and 2 british AA Guns.  This looks HORRIBLE, but it’s not really that bad, if it means you get India for next to nothing and especially if India is your last VC needed to win.

• @Cmdr:

@Young:

@Stalingradski:

Just remember, there are many times when something looks sub-optimal but really work out well for you!

Case in point:  21 Japanese aircraft attack 8 british infantry and 2 british AA Guns.  This looks HORRIBLE, but it’s not really that bad, if it means you get India for next to nothing and especially if India is your last VC needed to win.

#1 Create and maintain your own initiatives (Reactionary moves are less effective, take note Japan and Germany players)
    #2 Never lose sight of the big picture (Taking a VC/Capital regardless of the losses)
    #3 Risky positioning can be covered by other nation’s moves later in the round (Italy flying cover for German infantry)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m