• @Cmdr:

@Commando:

I think you can defend Egypt AND prevent Sea Lion if you play your cards right.

If Germany wants England, you are going to lose England.  It is all about stacking your units so as to get double usage out of your transports. (Take Scotland HARD.  Now England either attacks it losing manpower or does not giving you more manpower.  In this way, you get the units the transports brought last turn and the ones you bring this turn.)

I, honestly, dont see a way for England to prevent Sea Lion, unless Germany loses fighters in SZ 97 and/or SZ 110, 111 or 112.

If you build 4 Inf, 4 Art the 1st Turn w/the UK. Then build another 1 Art, 9 Inf in Turn 2. Plus bring over the 1 Inf, 1 Arm from Que(because most German players don’t kill the Trans in SZ109) and bring all your FTR’s & Tac to the UK. And prevent shore bombard in SZ’s109 and SZ110. That’s 23 @ 2’s 2@3’s and 6 @4’s, plus AA. And, you can split up your Med fleet between SZ’s 109 and SZ110, which makes the German player dedicate resources(i.e. navy/aircraft to kill what’s in one of those SZ’s) so he can land in UK. It makes it pretty difficult, if not impossible to do Sea Lion. You can also send the DD in SZ98 to block in SZ111, which prevents the Germans from even reaching SZ109 on Turn 3. Therefore the UK player can put the rest of it’s fleet in SZ110, which requires even more firepower from the Germans.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

That’s conveluted, just a thought, next time, split it up so it looks prettier.

Anyway, there are good odds the transport in SZ 106 is toast, so you have the one in SZ 109 only.

Yes, you can have +18 units in England, but I don’t think that’s enough to stop Sea Lion.

1)  6-8 Units go to Scotland Round 2.
    2)  6-8 Units + 6-8 Units in Scotland Attack England + 5 Fighters, 5 Tactical Bombers and 1 Strategic Bomber.

That’s 16 Ground Units + 11 Air Units, but assume two of those are lost to AA Guns.

If you put a ship in SZ 110, then you’ll have less to defend England with, so I’ll assume I have the Cruiser and Battleship bombardment as well. (Of course, Italy could sink the ship anyway and thus you would have less units to defend England AND I would get my shore bombardments.)

England has 23 Ground Units, AA Gun and 5 or 6 Fighters.

Let’s say:

23 Infantry, 6 Fighters, AA Gun Defending
    12 Infantry, 4 Artillery, 6 Armor, 5 Fighters, 5 Tactical Bombers, Strategic Bomber, Cruiser and Battleship Attacking

Opening Fire:  1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber lost to AA Gun fire.

Germany has a 92.4% Chance to win with 4 Fighters, 5 Bombers and 1 Armor remaining.

• Like I said, the Brits can block the shore bombards from the BB & CC if they want. And, you’re assuming that the Germans lost no aircraft in Turn 1(taking out the Brit navy) and the Brits only get 2 hits from AA during Sea Lion. And you forgot about the Tac,  along w/the 6 FTR’s and the Tank from Que. So that’s 23 Inf, 6 FTR’s, 1 Tac, 1 Arm, plus AA(we’ll use your calculations of 1 FTR & 1 Tac from the AA), against what you said for the Germans. My odds calculator says that’s about a 50/50 battle for Sea Lion. I don’t know too many Axis players that will attack w/that odds. And, in all my games I’ve never had a person Sea Lion me once. Not saying it’s not possible or not a good strategy. Just saying I believe most Axis players will not risk a Sea Lion battle, unless it’s at least a 70% battle in their favor. I would also add that this allows the Italians to run wild in the Med but just saying I think Sea Lion can be costly, risky and a good chance of being prevented if the Brit player really wants to.

I have never lost aircraft sinking the British navy.  But then, I also don’t defend the Italian navy because I want all my planes for Sea Lion.

England cannot block the bombardment.  Even if Italy does not clear SZ 110, Germany can and then attack on G4 with their fleet stationed in SZ 110. (PS: Wicked Idea: 2 Airbases, 1 in Normandy, 1 in Holland.  Go ahead, attack my fleet!)

• Basing aircraft in Sitaly still lets them influence the English Channel on G2 or even sz 111 if they are landing on a carrier.  I don’t see it as a dilution of Germany’s strength provided they return to the North in time for G3.

• pretty much the only reason that they are put there is to stop taranto UK1, then the italians can pretty much take care of themselves.

@thatonekid:

pretty much the only reason that they are put there is to stop taranto UK1, then the italians can pretty much take care of themselves.

They don’t stop it, they just make it painful for England.

However, that said, I’ll only go after SZ 97 if Germany puts fighters there!  If I can kill 1 or 2 of them (probably 2 of them) then I have a lot less work to do to stop Sea Lion.

• how is it possible for the english Med fleet to take out the fleet in Sz 97 in the first place. the axis have 4 things @4, and 1 thing @3. Uk only has 1@4 2@3 and 1@2. plus an AC to soak up hits. my math says the fighting power of the UK(12) vs the defending power of italy(19). italy will always win. also italy has 6 hits they can get against the uk’s 6. (this is assuming the fighter from malta is used.) there is noway UK can take out either italian fleet if the germans land two fighters in southern

Fighter from England (or W. France), Fighter from Gibraltar, Tactical Bomber, Destroyer, Cruiser, Aircraft Carrier from SZ 98 vs Cruiser, Battleship, 3 Fighters, 2 Transports

Round 1: 
    Attacker: 1@2 3@3 1@4 = 15 Punch ~= 2.5 Hits (round up, 3 hits)
    Damage Defending Battleship, Sink Defending Cruiser, Destroy Defending Fighter
    Defender: 1@3 4@4 = 19 Punch ~= 3.16 Hits (round down, 3 hits)
    Sink Attacking Carrier, Sink Attacking Destroyer

Round 2:
    Attacker: 3@3 1@4: = 13 Punch ~= 3.16 Hits (round down, 3 hits)
    Destroy 2 Defending Fighters, Sink Defending Battleship
    Defender: 3@4 = 12 Punch = 2 Hits
    Destroy 2 Attacking Fighters

Attacking Fighter from Malta can land on Malta
    Attacking Tactical Bomber from SZ 98 can land on Malta

Oh, and the cruiser is left in SZ 97, so if you also drop Inf.Arm in Greece, the Italians don’t have the power to kill them!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m