• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Degrass…welcome to the forums.

It would be helpful if you put a list of what units are in what sea zones…otherwise, that’s a hard post to follow.

• @Cmdr:

It would be helpful if you put a list of what units are in what sea zones…otherwise, that’s a hard post to follow.

They do list the seazones, nearly every step of the way.

Good post Degrasse and thanks for getting us back on topic  :-)

Its an intresting theroy, I just wonder if the capital ships will survive through round 2 German attacks. Also, why fly the fighters to Madagascar?

• Sponsor

@Clyde85:

@Cmdr:

They do list the seazones, nearly every step of the way.

Good post Degrasse and thanks for getting us back on topic  :-)

Its an intresting theroy, I just wonder if the capital ships will survive through round 2 German attacks. Also, why fly the fighters to Madagascar?

I have them going to Madagascar as well, it’s a very safe landing and they can hit Anglo Sudan on their way to Egypt next turn.

• An alternative for Madagascar is Tanganika (safe from Italians in case they haven’t been attacked in turn 1, which i suppose is the reason to land in madagacar), abit closer to some places

• With a destroyer present can’t planes attack subs?

• '21 '19 '18 '17 '16

I redid the moves to show units in detail and where this set of moves differs from the first set posted.  Still has the aim of attacking the German fleet in sea zone 112 on round 2.  No changes to the Indian side.  As for aircraft hitting submarines, only if a destroyer is present.

CV = aircraft carrier
    CA = cruiser
    BB = battleship
    DD = destroyer
    SS = submarine
    AP = troop transport
    I’m using standard USN abbreviations, I’ve noticed other players like other abbreviations.

United Kingdom #1

Purchase new units (London) = $28

4 SS (changed)
    1 mech inf (changed)

Purchase new units (India) = $17

4 infantry (original)
    1 AA gun (original)

Combat movements

Attack SZ#96 with
    1 tactical bomber from SZ#98 (Egypt) (changed)
    1 fighter from Malta  (changed)

Attack subs in #106 or #109 if any DDs left but all three should be gone (original)

Non-combat movements

SZ 91 CA holds (change)

SZ 110 to SZ 91 BB and CA (hiding from german air attack on turn 2) (change)

SZ 98 to 92 AP, DD, CA, and CV, pick up AA gun and infantry from Malta, move to Gibraltar. (change)

Fly Gibraltar fighter to London (change)

Fly fighter and tac bomber from SZ 96 to CV in SZ 92 or Gibraltar (change)

Fly both India air units to Tangayika (change)

Move DD from 71 to 81 (original)

Move CA and DD from 39 into 76 (original)

Move BB from 37 into 78 (original)

Move 1 infantry and 1 mec infantry from Egypt and 1 tank from Alexandria to Anglo Egypt Sudan (original)

Move 1 infantry and 1 artillery from Alexandria to Egypt (original)

Move 2 infantry from south Africa to Rhodesia (original)

Transport 2 infantry from India to Celebes (original)

Move 1 AP from SZ 37 to SZ 44 (original)

Fly Burma fighter to India (original)

Move Canadian forces east (original)

move 1 infantry from west India to eastern Persia (original)

Move 1 infantry and 1 artillery from India to west India (original)

Place new units

Place 4 SSs in sea zone 110 (change)
    Place one mech in south africa (change)
    Place 4 infantry and 1 AA gun in Calcutta (original)

Collect income

London = $28 - convoy disruptions

Calcutta = $17 + $3 for Celebes Island = $20

On turn 2, the following attack should be possible

To SZ 112
    UK
    1 BB, 2 CA, 4 SS, 4 fighters, 1 bomber
    Germany defending (expecting the Corrigan patented 13 transports for Sea Lion)
    1 BB, 1 CA, 1 CV, 5 fighters, 13 unarmed transports

• Degrasse, i know it’s just a detail, but may i ask why you chose to take Celebes (and not Sumatra or Java, which is 1 IPC more)?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@special:

Degrasse, i know it’s just a detail, but may i ask why you chose to take Celebes (and not Sumatra or Java, which is 1 IPC more)?

With UKP?

Here is why I would:  Celebes for England gives them an even number of IPCs.  Australia starts with an even number, so it’s more convenient to give them Java/Sumatra or both.

I like even numbers!

• '10

@special:

Degrasse, i know it’s just a detail, but may i ask why you chose to take Celebes (and not Sumatra or Java, which is 1 IPC more)?

In my opinion, the idea to take Cel 1st and Sum 2nd is : the battle is harder on Sum than in Cel, since Cel is much more likely to be in range of planes than Sum is. If you want planes to take Sum, then you will probably be forced to bring an aircraft carrier in sz41, which is often not a safe place to be. That means bringing more units if you don’t want to risk being wiped, or just send a tr and hope that the land battle will be won.
    In any case, it’s almost always more annoying for the Axis to have to take Sum than Cel when it’s defended.

Now, deciding to take Cel or Sum on 1st round should depend on what moves and purchases have been done on J1.
    As a matter of fact, when a player says : “i always do that particular move” on any turn other than G1, you just know that this player can’t be playing optimally.

• '21 '19 '18 '17 '16

I just copied Young Grasshopper’s moves for the Pacific side, I haven’t studied that side much.  I’ve been intrigued by the Sea Lion puzzle and thus mostly have been thinking of moves and counter moves.

• Sponsor

@Degrasse:

I just copied Young Grasshopper’s moves for the Pacific side, I haven’t studied that side much.  I’ve been intrigued by the Sea Lion puzzle and thus mostly have been thinking of moves and counter moves.

I played it yesterday, and I realized that UK India needs at least 1 destroyer left on the Pacific side to block the whole Japanese fleet for 1 round.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m