• Is the suicidal attacks on Italy’s fleet obsolete?  The only attack that’s somewhat viable is just moving a destroyer & fighter w/ tactical to get rid of a transport in SZ 96.  An attack on SZ 97 (not assuming scramble with German Fighter) is a 50% chance, or if you steal a fighter from the cruiser attack on 96 it’s 80% chance.  (With German Fighter)  Taking it without 96 Fighter is 13% and with is 42%.  Even if you do win those really shaky odds, the German Luftwaffe will burn your fleet to the bottom of the Med AND possible take shots at your landed bomber and fighter in Cyprus.

I’m I missing something here?  Because I thought this game was more open minded about options, and this 2nd edition is way too restrictive.  UK seems to only have the option of small attack on 96 and retreating the rest to 81.

• Taking out SZ97 and SZ96 are crucial and easily obtainable.

• @Commando:

Taking out SZ97 and SZ96 are crucial and easily obtainable.

Even with a german fighter on southern italy and the SZ 91 cruiser knocked out?  I think your claim is very situational.  I agree its crucial, but you can combine the India fleet with the SZ98 for a counterstrike into the med.  I think it’s better, odd wise.  I would want Italy buying navy instead of troops and transports.  Losing the creditable threat of losing transports gives Italy a huge advantage on the Northern Africa/Egypt front.

• It depends on what else u have around, if there was a bid placed, where the german air is, what survived, etc.  Moving form 98 to the red sea tends to hurt more than it helps, it gives italy too much strength in the med.

• @Dark_Destroyer:

@Commando:

Taking out SZ97 and SZ96 are crucial and easily obtainable.

Even with a german fighter on southern italy and the SZ 91 cruiser knocked out?  I think your claim is very situational.  I agree its crucial, but you can combine the India fleet with the SZ98 for a counterstrike into the med.  I think it’s better, odd wise.  I would want Italy buying navy instead of troops and transports.  Losing the creditable threat of losing transports gives Italy a huge advantage on the Northern Africa/Egypt front.

Take out SZ96 w/the FTR from Gib and the FTR from Malta.

Take out SZ97 w/everything in SZ98, 2 FTR’s and 1 SBR from UK. That’s a 80% battle in the UK’s favor. That’s IF the Axis scramble 3 FTR’s out of S. Italy. AND, most Allied players get at least a bid of +6 IPC’s, which can be used for an extra Brit Sub in SZ98, which means you can leave a FTR behind in the UK and still get 80% odds. In my opinion, the Brits have to try and take out the 2 Italian Trans in SZ96 and SZ97, plus the Italian fleet in those SZ’s. Very much cripples Italy…

• You might be able to stack 92

• Ohhhhhh, you have the tactical fighter go to Malta and have the 2 FTR’s from UK land on the carrier… I see, that’s what I’ve been missing.  I shall look more into this new development tomorrow.  Thanks for the insight.  :evil:

• If you didn’t lose your UK planes and you bring a fighter and your bomber and fighter from Malta, even with the german fighter, you still have around 87% to win Taranto, if my memory is correct. I have won with a fully loaded carrier before, that the italian promptly kills at the cost of 1-2 ships. Or even worse, the italian leaves it for the Luftwaffe.

• u would not want to bring too much down from the UK if there was any serious threat of sealion

• I don’t mind sealion for me, it buys so much time for the USA to come to the rescue, allowing it to spend in the pacific the first few rounds. I think killing Italian fleet is better than killing an extra 2-3 tanks, given that this is how much difference 1-2 planes will make in London.

• Taking out SZ 97 is the most crucial move for UK 1.  Even if Germany is threatening Sealion all UK has to do is send the strategic bomber + the SZ 98 fleet (assuming a sub bid) and they have a 78% chance against a 3 fighter scramble.  The only other viable option is buying an air base and Non combating the SZ 98 fleet over to Gibraltar.  This is an inferior move in my opinion.  Smashing Italy’s Cruiser, transport and BB on turn 1 is just so good.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m