HBG Global War 1936-45 (started at 39)

• Hello Gents,

Wondering how this varient is going in your world?

From my perspective, three of my sons and three of their friends took a stab at this last night. Interestingly enough, the Japanese player attacked the French and English sub just south of India and the US had a 5d12 roll that tripped them into a war economy. They declared war on Japan immediately and began the earliest production I’ve ever seen.

Russia, after cutting a deal with Germany, has been sitting tight while Germany scrabbles to deal with England.

We’re picking up where we left off last night, but, as I see it, Russia is in the best case to win this particular game - at least today.

So far, I love the variability and it looks like there can be many ways this can ultimately go.

Not sure if the tech will be effective yet - we’ll see, but, in all, great variant.

Any thoughts from the field?

Merry Christmas

Bill

• @billinjackson:

Hello Gents,

Wondering how this varient is going in your world?

From my perspective, three of my sons and three of their friends took a stab at this last night. Interestingly enough, the Japanese player attacked the French and English sub just south of India and the US had a 5d12 roll that tripped them into a war economy. They declared war on Japan immediately and began the earliest production I�ve ever seen.

Russia, after cutting a deal with Germany, has been sitting tight while Germany scrabbles to deal with England.

We�re picking up where we left off last night, but, as I see it, Russia is in the best case to win this particular game - at least today.

So far, I love the variability and it looks like there can be many ways this can ultimately go.

Not sure if the tech will be effective yet - we�ll see, but, in all, great variant.

Any thoughts from the field?

Merry Christmas

Bill

Merry Christmas Bill!

I totally agree with you, the variability of every game is fantastic. It seems that every game has a unique characteristic, a specific play or attack that makes that specific game stand out in such a way that it becomes memorable.

I haven’t played the 1939 version, personally preferring the pre-war buildup involved in the 1936 start. But I find it fascinating that even in the 1939 setup; there is enough variability that cutting a deal with the Comintern to scrabble with England is necessary. Sounds interesting!

I’ve done that once as Germany, cut a deal with the Soviets, and that was the game the Comintern won quite handily. Let us know how it works out!

On a side note, not meaning to knock anyone down, but personally I like it when people post on these forums with their thoughts on Global War. Its a good place for it and I check these boards daily, specifically the Global War page.

• Jinx,

The Soviets won pretty easily. By the way, is it wrong for me to post on this topic here? I hope I’m not making a mistake here?

Anyway, after our first game, there are so many facets of the game that we learned about while going through it that I think there will be a lot of variability for a while to come. I just ordered a bunch of experimental and concept units to mix it up along with a few expansions that are “out-there” to say the least - can’t wait, lol.

Great expansion to the global concept.

If there is a better area to post on this, please direct me so I can be compliant. I want to ask advice on strategy, etc from some of the peeps that have played several games. I’m going to take a stab at either Japan or Germany and am interested in “best practices.”

Thanks

Bill

• The facebook page doesnt really have a dialogue area and neither does the website save an older newsletter.

Thanks

• They want all questions asked on there site.

• Thanks SS. They need a clear link to that section. I can’t find one for the life of me. The Facebook, yes, but not a forum area for questions and comments.

Bill

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@billinjackson:

Thanks SS. They need a clear link to that section. I can�t find one for the life of me. The Facebook, yes, but not a forum area for questions and comments.

Bill

I don’t know how to provide you a link, but if you go to globalwar.com, that is the question and answer website. I hope that helps. :-)

• '18 '17 '16

I found out where the question and answer section is Bill but it won’t let a person ask a question unless they are signed up. I searched around and could not find anywhere you could sign up. You could try contacting HBG and asking them how to sign up to their forum. This is all I found, it’s in the FAQ;

http://www.globalwargame.com/www/dwqa-questions/

Honestly though, I don’t see why it would be a problem to discuss the game here like you did because this section of the forums is dedicated to the Global War game. I always read new posts in this section because I’m thinking of purchasing the game down the road sometime and would like to know more about it.

There is no problem asking it here, because players can help each other here on this forum, but if you want the official answers, you have to sign up.

There is a login on the right column, close to the bottom of the home page.

I believe you just click on that link, and it will tell you what to do.

I hope this helps. :-)

John

• Thanks John. General, I went down that path on the site. Its not an easy process and Im not a fan of downloading software which is part of the process of signing up as I understand it.

Despite the communication difficulties, the game is really great.

I’m wondering if anyone has commando house rules that have worked well for them? Seems the commando’s for the brits are pretty weak. I understand their rationale but for them to have other possibilities - especially the SAS in North Africa - would be fun.

Bill

@billinjackson:

Thanks John. General, I went down that path on the site. Its not an easy process and Im not a fan of downloading software which is part of the process of signing up as I understand it.

Despite the communication difficulties, the game is really great.

I�m wondering if anyone has commando house rules that have worked well for them? Seems the commando�s for the brits are pretty weak. I understand their rationale but for them to have other possibilities - especially the SAS in North Africa - would be fun.

Bill

Bill, I got the game, but I haven’t got to play yet. It is hard to learn the game by yourself. I’m a member of the website, and have been reading everyone’s questions, but your right, it easier to ask players on here, than it is on the website.

All of War Plan Z questions, still haven’t been answered. Part of the question was answered, but not all of it.

I will be glad when the 1.3 rules are made, because it might clarify, expansion mistakes. I hope.

• :?

• @billinjackson:

I�m wondering if anyone has commando house rules that have worked well for them? Seems the commando�s for the brits are pretty weak. I understand their rationale but for them to have other possibilities - especially the SAS in North Africa - would be fun.

Bill

Hey Bill,
    In my modified house rules, British Commando’s represent units like the Special Air Service, Special Boat Service and Long Range Desert Group (LRDG).
    Build and deploy to a maximum of one in each Sub-Continent. They have built in transports and do not need transports (air or naval) and can cross Impassible terrain (like the Sahara Desert). They use modifiers of airport and naval bases and cannot be intercepted.
    They also have these abilities like Partisans:
    • Guerilla: Only Infantry class units can attack Guerilla units, without using Artillery Support.
    • Fade: In lieu of a defensive roll; a unit may disengage combat and fade into the territory.
    • Impact: Unless present with Infantry class unit; Impact blocks supply through enemy territory.

On the downside, their combat strength is weak, Attack 1, Defense 2, Move 2, Cost 3. They are also limited to only one per subcontinent (or continent).

Just a thought, this might over-complicate them for you though. They are excellent at harassing Axis and forcing them to garrison all coastal areas. To balance out the Allied Commandos, we house ruled in special units for every nation in the game.

Anyways! Cheers!

• Thanks Jinx - Love how you use them.

(as an ad on to this email, we are using your commando rules tonight with two additions. We are going to give them the ability to blow up rail lines/ attack facilities and increase their cost by one. The attack will be carried out like the convoy raiding rules with a plus one modifier to the commando. He can free move in enemy territory but can get attacked by infantry on the enemies combat turn).

Bill

• @billinjackson:

Thanks Jinx - Love how you use them.

(as an ad on to this email, we are using your commando rules tonight with two additions. We are going to give them the ability to blow up rail lines/ attack facilities and increase their cost by one. The attack will be carried out like the convoy raiding rules with a plus one modifier to the commando. He can free move in enemy territory but can get attacked by infantry on the enemies combat turn).

Bill

That’s actually pretty fantastic Bill!
    I think I will incorporate your rules into mine, makes them more dynamic.

Of course, do other nations have an special unit?

For instance, my German Waffen SS troops are identical in to regular infantry except they can only purchase 2 per turn, and provide one time 1 IPP when an SS unit has participated in conquering a territory.

• Awesome Jinx,

I was thinking only the Brits for those special rules. The SAS caused chaos on airfields, etc so I think the Brits need that nod. The Germans have so many bonus units that this can ad a unique aid to the brits who are so spread thin to begin with.

I’ve got some clearer ideas on them based off your great concepts. Let me know what you think.,

1. 1 SAS in Europe theater and only 1 in pacific can be build.
    2. Cost is 4 IPP
    3. no transport needed - they just glide along as you outlined earlier without being able to be intercepted (they are invisible).
    4. They can opperate in hostile territory much like a sub submerged. When they activate (like a convoy raid with the opponent rolling a 1x6D [commando has a +2 modifier]) on a rail, factory, air field, navy yard, port, fortification, nuclear program or even a capital ship by sabotaging it back a whole step. At that point on the opponents next turn - provided they have an infantry (like a destroyer with sub) - they are exposed and can be attacked by all units in that space. if an infantry attack fails (or a combined attack with an infatry present) they can fade while still remain in the same space or retreat to an adjacent box.
    5. Defend low - attack 1 defend 2 like you outlined when used as a standard unit.
    6. can be used as marines or airborne with the above attack and defense values.
    7. after two successful missions, they can get promoted to attack 2 and defend 3 like the japanese and russians.

What do you think?

• @billinjackson:

Awesome Jinx,

I was thinking only the Brits for those special rules. The SAS caused chaos on airfields, etc so I think the Brits need that nod. The Germans have so many bonus units that this can ad a unique aid to the brits who are so spread thin to begin with.

I�ve got some clearer ideas on them based off your great concepts. Let me know what you think.,

I like it Bill, good ideas all.
    I jotted down them a few thoughts on the subject:

@billinjackson:

1. 1 SAS in Europe theater and only 1 in pacific can be build.

Hmm, well, personally I allowed the Brits 1 Commando per continent (subcontinent in some cases). The British Commandos represent units like the Special Air Service, Special Boat Service and Long Range Desert Group (LRDG), as well as numerous other special groups that fought across the globe. I’m not sure 2 units across the globe would be enough to cover their impact. Hence the Africa’s commando would represent the LRDG, the Middle-east the SBS, and Europe the SAS, as well as unknown alternatively named groups that might have sprung up in South America or the Pacific Islands.

@billinjackson:

2. Cost is 4 IPP

Excellent, your addition of being capable of moving behind enemy lines makes them worth more. My only concern would be from a historical perspective. Visualizing each infantry miniature as being roughly a divisions strength, or 30,000, I find it harder to justify a commando group of hundreds costing more then an infantry division of thousands. But in this case gameplay may trump historicity.

@billinjackson:

3. no transport needed - they just glide along as you outlined earlier without being able to be intercepted (they are invisible).

Yes exactly, I like it. This could partially explain their cost of 4 IPP. Although historically commandos where fairly self sufficient.

@billinjackson:

4. They can opperate in hostile territory much like a sub submerged. When they activate (like a convoy raid with the opponent rolling a 1x6D [commando has a +2 modifier]) on a rail, factory, air field, navy yard, port, fortification, nuclear program or even a capital ship by sabotaging it back a whole step. At that point on the opponents next turn - provided they have an infantry (like a destroyer with sub) - they are exposed and can be attacked by all units in that space. if an infantry attack fails (or a combined attack with an infatry present) they can fade while still remain in the same space or retreat to an adjacent box.

I like this a lot actually, it extends their usage beyond territory conquest (or sniping unguarded territories), but they should not be able to do both in one turn, sabotage and capture territory.
    I’m still not certain about being able to be attacked by all enemy units if all units are present. On the one hand, it simplifies it a bit, and allows the axis to quash the pesky commandos with sufficient force, especially if these commandos can now launch strategic attacks into a territory stacked with enemy armies…well, you really want them dead. Oh, and if you happen to miss, those units dance two territories away and hit somewhere else, they really gotta die then.
    Yet on the other hand, these commandos are again supposed to represent squads of a couple hundred bush wacking dirty elite soldiers melting into the trees. I imagine at best: only a few thousand enemy infantry could engage the commandos and it would be exceedingly hard to bring up the artillery and tanks into that brief fight, a fight in which the Commandos are actively scampering away into the marshes and swamps, dunes, hills and caves.
    So personally I’m going to try with only infantry class detecting and attacking them. The commandos will be able to strategically attack facilities and bases, and even sabotage ships and perhaps research like you mentioned. Yet they will roll a D6 strategic attack, causing that damage to their target, yet doing so also allows an immediate counter attack by enemy infantry present. This forces the commandos to choose their targets wisely.
    But, hand in hand with this, perhaps the commandos may also expend any remaining movement point to withdraw from their target as well, joining a fleet or friendly army adjacent.

@billinjackson:

5. Defend low - attack 1 defend 2 like you outlined when used as a standard unit.

Yes, I agree. For the size of the divisions it makes sense.

@billinjackson:

6. can be used as marines or airborne with the above attack and defense values.

Yep. I’d add Mountaineer as well.

@billinjackson:

7. after two successful missions, they can get promoted to attack 2 and defend 3 like the japanese and russians.

Personally, I wouldn’t. These boys are already considered the best of the best. They also have plenty other bonuses at this point.
    I have a system in place for all nations that allows infantry (as well as airborne, marines, and mountain) to become veterans. I wanted this so that by the time Germany marches into soviet lands, many German divisions will be experienced in combat and the soviets will be fairly green. Certain nations will achieve experience easier, others will struggle harder to achieve elite troops.

Anyway, these are only my opinions and what I plan on doing with my house rules.
    Thank you for your ideas! I plan on incorporating them into my next game.

Cheers!

• Great points Jinx.

• promotion probably makes no sense.

• For killing them, my thought was you have to have an infantry find them first. Once they do, supporting units can help out if in the same space. I’m not sure if that was clear. If it all fails, they can fade away in the same space or retreat to another.

• mountain makes sense too. I missed that one.

In the end, we’ll figure this one out, lol.

Bill

• @billinjackson:

Great points Jinx.

• promotion probably makes no sense.

• For killing them, my thought was you have to have an infantry find them first. Once they do, supporting units can help out if in the same space. I�m not sure if that was clear. If it all fails, they can fade away in the same space or retreat to another.

• mountain makes sense too. I missed that one.

In the end, we�ll figure this one out, lol.

Bill

Hey Bill,

How did it go with your Commandoes? Specifically the fact that they can “glide” behind enemy lines and sabatoge without engaging in combat? I havn’t tested it out yet, personally.
    Does that make them too powerful? Do you roll for them to damage factories? 1D6?

• Hey Bill,

How did it go with your Commandoes? Specifically the fact that they can “glide” behind enemy lines and sabatoge without engaging in combat? I havn’t tested it out yet, personally.
    Does that make them too powerful? Do you roll for them to damage factories? 1D6?

It went well. they played a role by hitting a factory in europe and one actually on mainline Japan. The japanese player actually missed him slowly coming up from India by way of a sea route. Once they hit a location, they tend to die as the player has to address them but, the distraction is worth it.

Changes i will be making will be that once they make a strike on a facility it will be only 1 point of damage regardless of how successful the role was.

Bill

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m