Most influential person of 19th century

• '10

@Pvt.Ryan:

Eh hem sorry for the idiot and moron labels. I get passionate about history. Charles Darwin is a good one.

LOL

• Been reading a book, by Niall Ferguson, The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World

which makes me think of Nathan Rothschild as Niall makes great claims regarding the role of finances in shaping our modern world.  Definitely someone who has shaped the 19th century to an extend.

• @Herr:

The most powerful and culturally most influential nation of the nineteenth century was the United Kingdom. For nearly 64 years, the British Empire was ruled by Queen Victoria. And while her political power in a nation that was on its way to become a modern democracy was naturally limited, she was very much the symbol of an era that is often named after her.

Victorian England no doubt was the greatest global influence in the 19th century.

• @Fishmoto37:

@Pvt.Ryan:

Eh hem sorry for the idiot and moron labels. I get passionate about history. Charles Darwin is a good one.

LOL

Lol what are you laughing about Fish?!

• @ABWorsham:

Victorian England no doubt was the greatest global influence in the 19th century.

As a kid once wrote in a school essay: “The sun never sets on the British Empire because the Empire is in the east and the sun sets in the west.”

• '12

I like the line:

“The sun never sets on the British Empire because not even God trusts an Englishman in the dark.”

• @CWO:

If we take “the most influential person of 19th century” to mean someone about whom people are still having heated arguments today (like Karl Marx), here’s another nomination: Charles Darwin.

Darwin totally slipped my mind, I am changing my vote.

• ok let me see when was NastraDAMous? he would be my vote

• @cminke:

ok let me see when was NastraDAMous? he would be my vote

1503-1566.

• hehe Cminke your spelling like that on purpose. Why nostrodomus? Just another wackjob who said he could predict the future.

• '10

@Pvt.Ryan:

@Fishmoto37:

@Pvt.Ryan:

LOL

Lol what are you laughing about Fish?!

I was laughing about his ridiculous ideas of macro evolution not at him because he was a very dangerous man. But I will not engage in a further discussion on this matter as it will probably be deleted anyway and I do not want to devote the time to it on this forum. I have been delayed in responding on this forum recently because my step father has been very ill the past week and a half and then he passed away tuesday. I have been running around so much that I have been wore out in the evenings.

• '10

Karl Marx

• Samuel Colt.

“God made all men, Samuel Colt made them equal”

• Thomas Edison or Alexander Graham Bell?

• @Pvt.Ryan:

hehe Cminke your spelling like that on purpose. Why nostrodomus? Just another wackjob who said he could predict the future.

and he has pretty much (lest see how 2012 works out first, bet yo 100$ hes wrong)

• Otto von Bismarck and Napoleon Bonaparte each left a huge mark on Europe.  They’d be up there in terms of most influential.

Karl Marx , Queen Victoria, and Abraham Lincoln were certainly also influential.

• E. O. Wilson once said that there are three major philosophies alive in the world today: monotheism, communism, and scientific thought.

Another way of looking at things is that there are two major philosophies alive today: regionalism and globalism. Proponents of the latter are generally accepting of, or even welcome, the elimination/globalization of all cultures, races, economies, and political systems into a global culture, race, and government. Globalism typically comes in two flavors: global Marxism, and global capitalism/democracy/plutocracy.

The presidency of Calvin Coolidge represented regionalism. The U.S. would remain uninvolved in most foreign entanglements, it would accept relatively few immigrants to maintain demographic stability, and no effort was made to mold the rest of the world in the image of the U.S.

However, there were two forces working against regionalism in the U.S.: globalist Marxism and globalist capitalism.

The stated long-term goal of the Marxist movement is global conquest. The first leader of the Soviet Union who did not articulate that goal was Gorbachev. Conquest can come in two forms: military conquest and revolution. Military conquest gained the communists Poland, Czechoslovakia, the Baltic States, North Korea, South Vietnam, and so forth. Revolution gained the communists Russia, China, Cuba, North Vietnam, etc. It was felt that nations like the United States were too strong to be conquered by military conquest, making them good candidates for communist revolution instead.

Before a communist revolution within the United States or Western Europe could occur, it was felt that anything which supported the existing social order would have to be eliminated. On that basis, Marxists and communists have supported attacks on traditional morality, the family, patriotism, the existence of race, Coolidge-style immigration policies, and so on. They have celebrated criminals as heroes and revolutionaries for resisting an evil social order. They have become deeply involved with radical feminism, the drug movement, attacks on Western culture and Western civilization, and anything else which seemed to promise to corrode the existing social order.

At least in a number of areas, the objectives of globalist Marxists coincide with those of globalist capitalists. Marxists favor high immigration as a means of destroying local cultures and the existence of race. Global capitalists see large-scale immigration as a useful tool to lower employees’ wages. Some global capitalists seem to recognize that mixing multiple cultures together creates a cultural vacuum–a vacuum which their multinational corporations can step in and fill. Global Marxists tend to favor increases in the size of government as a mechanism for promoting a Marxist agenda. Global capitalists sometimes favor increases in the size or power of government as a means of restricting their competition, obtaining government handouts for their companies, and so on. The respective agendas of global Marxists and global capitalists for Western nations sometimes blur together.

Among modern Western nations, globalism, not regionalism, is clearly in ascendancy. The 19th century person most closely associated with globalism–or at least with its Marxist half–was of course Karl Marx himself. While Western elites would still be making a strong push for globalism even if Marx had not lived, Marx’s philosophy and eponymous political movement have played a major role in pushing it forward.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m