1939 Map - Jeremy's Variant with Set-up Charts

• '10

@De:

Also why arent the Dutch and Communist Chinese in the turn order? Or are they not supposed to be?

The Dutch are treated as Pro-Allied Neutrals in this game.  The Communist Chinese are controlled by the USSR to give the Game an interesting Twist.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Yes, l played the former map with Communist Chinese and letting the Russian player run the Communist Chinese gives them the option of having their own objectives and not necessarily lined up with the Nationslist.
    We play with two Commonwealth players and I love the Aussies and Far east Command crying for extra units that the UK has the option to place in their countries.
    Our next game , we will do the same for the US, the Pacific command crying for units since the US player in Europe will control the money. This should make add some dynamics to the game.

• I got that map and it’s the greatest i’ve seen. Take out the set-up charts and start buying pieces and placing them each countries territorties they own. Each country needs to buy a factory before placin pieces on the board. Small factory produces 3 units and large factoried produce 10 units,. Using the white factories and the 10 factory tokens as the large.Using the 3 factory as the small. large factory produces 10 units, small produces 3 units. Right now I have 18 different countries participating in the 1939 global war. Each country has a starting IPC. Also iput in special weapons labs that need to be bought at 7IPCs. This cutdowns on how manycountries can develop secial weapons. I use the grey factories for this. Set-up conditions of the war are importment as the war itself. I did put together a starting ipc start for each country. The IPCs will change as the game goes on. This game starts in January of 1939 and war can’t b e declared until September 1939, Neutral countries can’t declare war, unless invaded. it does have to, bbut that’s the earliest by the axis

ORDER OF PLAY

Forget that, take a roundel from each participating countryand put them in hat or bag. My favorite bag is the purple Crown Royal bag. Pull one roundel out and that will be thats countries turn(this is one turn). When all roundels are removed from the bag that will be a round. Brings back Surpris attacks and remember the Marine motto"overcome, and it’s hard to plan 2 or 3 moves ahead.
    adapt" I put in a rule about how long subs can stay submergrd(6 turns). Also how long air patrols can stay in the air 4 turns.

• Defcon1 thats the coolest house rule I have ever heard of. THE PURPLE CROWN ROYAL BAG RULE. If you don’t have one get a fifth for Axis and Allies. You win with both.

• Good job for the map.
    I read the UK chart.
    Too much infantry on UK island.
    In september 1939…only 4 active division we’re operational in UK. (5 in reserved).

• '10

@crusaderiv:

Good job for the map.
    I read the UK chart.
    Too much infantry on UK island.
    In september 1939…only 4 active division we’re operational in UK. (5 in reserved).

Unit placement is for Balance, sometimes Historical accuracy has to be a passenger because this is a game.

• Where’s the rules for this d6 game?

• Is it under Tigerman’s 1939?

• '10

@SS:

Where’s the rules for this d6 game?

Please see and read the FIRST PAGE of this thread for download links.

• so i use the 1940 global +2 alpha rules then.

• _Unit placement is for Balance, sometimes Historical accuracy has to be a passenger because this is a game.

Ah OK, you want to scrap the German player chance to invade UK. :-o_

• '10

@SS:

so i use the 1940 global +2 alpha rules then.

That is correct.  Any special rules for each Nation are printed on the Cards.  Neutrals can be attacked!

• '10

@crusaderiv:

_Unit placement is for Balance, sometimes Historical accuracy has to be a passenger because this is a game.

Ah OK, you want to scrap the German player chance to invade UK. :-o

What are you talking about?  UK starts with only 4 INF spread out over three territories!?  There is ample opportunity for a Sea Lion if planned and aimed for.  The three territories make it an even bigger danger for the English as it is more difficult to defend.

There is also still the possibility that the UK will send it’s army to France to delay the invasion etc…_

• What are you talking about?  UK starts with only 4 INF spread out over three territories!?  There is ample opportunity for a Sea Lion if planned and aimed for.  The three territories make it an even bigger danger for the English as it is more difficult to defend.

Well why wrote ‘‘Unit placement is for Balance, sometimes Historical accuracy has to be a passenger because this is a game’’.

• Sponsor

@crusaderiv:

What are you talking about?  UK starts with only 4 INF spread out over three territories!?  There is ample opportunity for a Sea Lion if planned and aimed for.  The three territories make it an even bigger danger for the English as it is more difficult to defend.

Well why wrote ‘‘Unit placement is for Balance, sometimes Historical accuracy has to be a passenger because this is a game’’.

Historical accuracy and game play should always be ballanced. However, in the event of a tie, game play should always win. Any chance of this map becoming more colourfull in the future, although this 1939 map has amazing spaces and more territories, WOTC 1940 maps are prettier when it come to colour. Also, if I present this map to my groups, what should I say when asked to explain the reasons for switching?

• @Young:

Also, if I present this map to my groups, what should I say when asked to explain the reasons for switching?

It’s EPIC.  Reason enough ;)

We played this variation at the FMG Convention this past spring.  It took us the entire weekend, starting on the Friday night and ending (by mutual agreement) mid Sunday.  If you’re looking for a game you can play in a day, don’t try this one.

• Sponsor

@Rorschach:

@Young:

Also, if I present this map to my groups, what should I say when asked to explain the reasons for switching?

It’s EPIC.  Reason enough ;)

We played this variation at the FMG Convention this past spring.  It took us the entire weekend, starting on the Friday night and ending (by mutual agreement) mid Sunday.  If you’re looking for a game you can play in a day, don’t try this one.

That won’t help win them over. I was unable to attend the first FMG convention, but I look forward to seeing the 1939 map in action next year.

• @Young:

@Rorschach:

@Young:

It’s EPIC.  Reason enough ;)

We played this variation at the FMG Convention this past spring.  It took us the entire weekend, starting on the Friday night and ending (by mutual agreement) mid Sunday.  If you’re looking for a game you can play in a day, don’t try this one.

That won’t help win them over. I was unable to attend the first FMG convention, but I look forward to seeing the 1939 map in action next year.

I don’t think anything will win them over by simply talking about it.  You have to play it to even appreciate it.  It’s more complex, it’s more “global” feeling, it’s a much longer game with more and more territories.  Just looking at the sheer size of Russia alone is enough to make the Axis want to give up!

• yes but the more the merrier

• Sponsor

We feel that Moscow is one territory to far on the Global map, to us a larger Russia doesn’t help that. However, it’s definitely not my intention to judge a game board I haven’t even played yet. My curiosity asks, how different is game play, is it full of someone’s house rules, are there confusing new political situations and new units. How different is it from global. I think that’s what my group will want to know. How is it an improvement other than the map, because the map is very cool. Is it just for people who want a long and obese game or is it the only way to play?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m