• @warwinner:

If Euro UK successfully rolls research, does Pacific UK receive it as well and vise versa? I’m not sure if they are counted as completely separate powers apart from having a separate economy.

The UK is run as one power except for collecting income, purchasing new units, and some weird rules when a capital falls.

Either London or Calcutta or both can pay for research dice, and a 6 benefits the entire United Kingdom.

• Ok, thanks for the quick answer.

• I’m in a game of global right now, and a question as to liberating Paris has come up that I’m not sure of the answer to. I am the axis, and control Paris. My opponent, the allies, controls Normandy as UK, and Southern France as USA. He is utilizing the UK factory in Normandy, and has built a major USA factory in S. France.

I’m about to get my 14th city this turn, in which case he will crush Paris. However, he’s refrained from doing so right now in order to utilize the American factory on mainland Europe. His question for me is, if he liberates Paris, do the factories revert control to France IMMEDIATELY or will he still get to place 10 units for his turn?

I believe that it would revert control immediately, but in the rulebook I can’t find a specific statement that this is the case, and he believes that he should still be able to place his 10 units. Anyone know which one of us is correct?

• @Captain:

I’m in a game of global right now, and a question as to liberating Paris has come up that I’m not sure of the answer to. I am the axis, and control Paris. My opponent, the allies, controls Normandy as UK, and Southern France as USA. He is utilizing the UK factory in Normandy, and has built a major USA factory in S. France.

I’m about to get my 14th city this turn, in which case he will crush Paris. However, he’s refrained from doing so right now in order to utilize the American factory on mainland Europe. His question for me is, if he liberates Paris, do the factories revert control to France IMMEDIATELY or will he still get to place 10 units for his turn?

I believe that it would revert control immediately, but in the rulebook I can’t find a specific statement that this is the case, and he believes that he should still be able to place his 10 units. Anyone know which one of us is correct?

I believe it reverts control immediately(since you can’t collect income from French territories if US liberates Paris).

• Thank you for such a quick answer calvin, I think that’s the case as well. But his point is that since it was USA controlled at the start of the turn, would it remain a USA territory until France’s turn? I think it would revert immediately, but again I can’t find a line in the rules that actually says that.

• Official Q&A

Control of territories changes during the Conduct Combat phase.  When a capital is liberated, all original territories of that power that are controlled by its allies immediately revert back to its control.

How about calvinhobbesliker and gamerman01?  They did a pretty good job keeping things running smoothly here while I was gone, eh?  Thanks, guys!

• Question Krieg, If you obtain radar, do the benefits transfer over to the air defense of ICs and bases as well, or just the actual AA pieces? In other words, if I’m being strategically bombed, and I have radar, does my anti aircraft hit on a 2? I don’t have the rulebook since it’s a friends game, so that’s why I ask.

Also, If Germany builds an IC in Romania, would it be an act of war against Turkey to produce sea units in SZ 100 if they don’t pass through the strait?

• @Krieghund:

Control of territories changes during the Conduct Combat phase.  When a capital is liberated, all original territories of that power that are controlled by its allies immediately revert back to its control.

Thank you Krieghund, that will be good to know for the future. Turns out that didn’t come into play because he was unable to take Paris back (24 attackers, 24 defenders, all wiped out so I kept it) and the game ended, but had this been an issue he was being very stubborn. Thanks again!

• @Captain:

@Krieghund:

Thank you Krieghund, that will be good to know for the future. Turns out that didn’t come into play because he was unable to take Paris back (24 attackers, 24 defenders, all wiped out so I kept it) and the game ended, but had this been an issue he was being very stubborn. Thanks again!

Beware playing with stubborn players!  :-)

• @Nickiow:

Global and Pacific start in 1940, both use Flying Tigers, which arrive in 41 in China, and in 1940 its the 350 Russian pilots and 150 Russians pilots training Chinese pilots to fly SU aircraft, maintained by 5000 SU ground crews, that are being represented by  US fighter and less than a 100 US Vol, is this simply a copy paste from other AA games or just bad history?

Good point, but would you rather the game introduced further complication by having the flying tigers mystically appear on China round 2 or 3?

When simplicity clashes with historical reality, A&A usually goes for simplicity.  HTH

• @Krieghund:

How about calvinhobbesliker and gamerman01?  They did a pretty good job keeping things running smoothly here while I was gone, eh?   Thanks, guys!

Welcome back, and please don’t ever leave the FAQ’s permanently.  It’s great having the patient and official A&A rules answer guy right here.

Actually, I think I have a rules question for you that I came up with while you were out.

Neutral territories:

You can blitz unfriendly neutrals during the combat phase, but cannot move through a friendly neutral with a tank during the noncombat phase (because no blitzing during noncombat, and because the rules say so on page 10).  You can never fly over any neutral until the turn following taking control of a neutral.

Are these statements correct?  If so, why can’t a power fly over a neutral?  Seems strange, since air can always fly over any territory (without taking AA fire) except the Sahara and those marshes.  Now I can see if flying over a strict neutral would make those neutrals turn against you, but I’m not sure why the ban of flying over friendlies and unfriendlies.  Maybe it’s for game-play purposes?

• @warwinner:

Question Krieg, If you obtain radar, do the benefits transfer over to the air defense of ICs and bases as well, or just the actual AA pieces? In other words, if I’m being strategically bombed, and I have radar, does my anti aircraft hit on a 2? I don’t have the rulebook since it’s a friends game, so that’s why I ask.

Also, If Germany builds an IC in Romania, would it be an act of war against Turkey to produce sea units in SZ 100 if they don’t pass through the strait?

I know you want Krieg, but I’m sure I can take this one for you.

From page #37:
    4. Radar.  Your antiaircraft fire now hits on a 1 or 2 instead of just a 1.

I know you didn’t have the rulebook, so there it is.  Radar improves ALL antiaircraft fire immediately.  It’s freaking awesome.

Rulebook says NOTHING about Z100 placement being an act of war.  The only act of war on Turkey is invading it.  Only major powers have complex act of war rules (Flying over China, e.g.).

• Thanks gamerman. I’ve been looking at a pic of the board online for hours and just got the idea to put a factory in Romania for the Germans and use a transport in SZ 100 to ferry men deeper into russia at a quicker pace.

• Anyone with a working knowledge of world war 2 knows that Germany did not destroy the entire Royal Navy around Britain in Summer 1940, that the US made much more than the equivalent of 82 ipcs, that German bombers in Hamburg could not attack Ireland and land in Holland, that Japan could not invade British Colombia from Japan in less time than the US moves troops from Norfolk to London, that West German forces never attacked France directly, that China was no pushover in the real war, that allied powers did share technology, that the English Channel was as impassible to the axis as the Strait of Gibraltar, and that Italy never took Egypt

• Official Q&A

@gamerman01:

Neutral territories:

You can blitz unfriendly neutrals during the combat phase, but cannot move through a friendly neutral with a tank during the noncombat phase (because no blitzing during noncombat, and because the rules say so on page 10).  You can never fly over any neutral until the turn following taking control of a neutral.

Are these statements correct?

Yes.

@gamerman01:

If so, why can’t a power fly over a neutral?  Seems strange, since air can always fly over any territory (without taking AA fire) except the Sahara and those marshes.  Now I can see if flying over a strict neutral would make those neutrals turn against you, but I’m not sure why the ban of flying over friendlies and unfriendlies.  Maybe it’s for game-play purposes?

As a neutral, allowing one of the beligerent powers to fly war planes over your country (use your airspace) would be taking sides.  Friendly and unfriendly neutrals demonstrate their leanings through politics and economics, not military operations.

• and im already wealthy and retired, and pointing out when others are incorrect is not being elitiest.

not an elitist, just an irritating snob and show off.  jeez, its just a game.  call the tigers whatever you want bud, im sure no one you play with will care.

• Is convoy raiding mandatory?

• Yes.  If you don’t want to raid the convoy, you need to move your ship.

• When a sub is attacked by a warship that is not a destroyer, may the sub submerge before combat begins? Also, may an attacking sub choose to retreat as oppose to submerge?

• @warwinner:

When a sub is attacked by a warship that is not a destroyer, may the sub submerge before combat begins? Also, may an attacking sub choose to retreat as oppose to submerge?

Yes.
    Yes, but only if the rest of the navy retreats

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m