Most decisive battle of the Second World War

• I also vote for battle of britain.
    If UK falls, Hitler win the war…

• Is there an option “i really don’t know” ?  :-D

They were all turning points in a way. i suppose it is the combination of “kinda decisive battles” that did it.

• They were all turning points in a way. i suppose it is the combination of “kinda decisive battles” that did it.

Ah well. Nevertheless it is simple to understand.
    Because of the battle lost over England, the resistances and the obtination of churchill, Hitler has change his plan and so he attacked USSR.
    A fatal error!!!

• Stalingrad for me because it was a major drain on German forces and probably there first major loss on land.

• i think you’re forgetting the Battle of Moscow

• Dunkirk and Moscow '41 and the Atlantic

• '10

@aequitas:

Dunkirk and Moscow '41 and the Atlantic

I vote for the battle of the Atlantic

• @crusaderiv:

They were all turning points in a way. i suppose it is the combination of “kinda decisive battles” that did it.

Because of the battle lost over England, the resistances and the obtination of churchill, Hitler has change his plan and so he attacked USSR.
    A fatal error!!!

Well yes, it makes sense to chose an early big battle, because everything after that might / will be influenced by that one’s outcome.

And the new Global is teadching me to appreciate the importance of the battle of britain ;)

• I vote for the battle of the Atlantic

Good choice…If Great Britain had been conquered by Germany or if English surrender because of the maritime blockade…The war was finished…

• How do you think a massive use German Paratrooper units on the Eastern side of the Volga River at Stalingrad would have played out? Could they have sealed off the trinkle of Soviet supplies and troops for the city? Or would the units been crushed?

• @ABWorsham:

How do you think a massive use German Paratrooper units on the Eastern side of the Volga River at Stalingrad would have played out? Could they have sealed off the trinkle of Soviet supplies and troops for the city? Or would the units been crushed?

probably hitler wouldnt sanction it due to the catastrophe at crete

• D-day, it opened another front on the Germans.

• they already had a second front , ITALY! and before that AFRIKA!

• @FieldMarshalGames:

@aequitas:

Dunkirk and Moscow '41 and the Atlantic

I vote for the battle of the Atlantic

Good choice.

• '10

A fatal error!!!

While I agree attacking Russia was Hitler’s error, it’s just to damned big to be overtaken, it was already his plan to attack Russia. He could get rid of the Bolsheviks and the Jews, while creating living space for a growing Germany. Also wanted the resources they had as well. Failing at England didn’t cause Hitler to invade Russia. I think it was more of a Pearl Harbor type move anyway. Not trying to conquer England, just trying to render it useless to stop Germany from doing what it really wanted.

• I think the Battle of Poland was the most decesive. He never got away with that, and was doomed.

72 million germans versus the rest of the world.

Starting the fire in Poland was the sole action that would bring the Third Reich down.

• I think Leyte Gulf is an important and often over looked one as well.

If Japan had been able to break through to the US ships moored in the gulf, they could have absolutely destroyed the US’s logistics train. With out being able to transport the men, and more important, the supples for those troops, the US timetable would have been set back by several years. Giving Japan, which at this point hadnt been bombed, a chance to regroup and catch its breath, so to speak, could have been devestating to further allied offensives.

• @i:

they already had a second front , ITALY! and before that AFRIKA!

Germany had two fronts, but more area to defend would make it tougher to defend. The war would take longer if there weren’t three fronts on Germany.

• okay sorry that comment was made late at night 12am and i read your post wrong i though you sad the seconded front.

• Germans were going to lose before Stalingrad: they were fighting Russia, Britain, and the United States

With Stalingrad’s capture would mean the Germans hold the key to the Caucasus oil fields, bolstering their forces. Yes, they were doomed since they were repelled at the gates of Moscow, but if the Germans won Stalingrad, the Soviets would probably have lost a lot more soldiers than they did. Also, the loss of Stalingrad would be a huge blow to Soviet morale. Stalingrad resulted in the destruction of the German 6th Army, which left a gaping hole in the Wehrmacht, much more devastating to the German armed forces than the Battle of Britain.

Japanese were going to lose even if they completely decimated America at Midway. there’s an essay showing that American carrier numbers would overtake Japanese carrier numbers by 1943.

One essay in a sea of countless other essays. We will never know if the Japanese still could have won, but it’s still certain that Midway was the first major defeat the Imperial Navy suffered in over three centuries.

By Kursk, Germans were already losing

But, again, it was decisive. If the Wehrmacht had one the Germans would have re-gained the strategic offensive, even if it would be temporary.

Germans were definetly losing by D-Day. I never got why it was seen as a turning point.

Losing? They locked down the Allies in Italy, whom didn’t make any significant advances until well after D-Day, and if there wasn’t a Allied threat to invade from the West, Hitler could have sent much needed forces East. It was a turning point because the Allies were able to get a significant foothold in Europe, and fulfill their promise to Stalin to open up a second front in France. Hitler now had to commit significant forces on not just one major front and a minor one (Italy), he now had to deal with two major fronts and one minor one.

Even if the Soviets won and got to Berlin, say the Allies were still trapped in Italy. Who is to say the Soviet tanks wouldn’t simply continue to roll all the way to Amsterdam, Paris? If the Allies hadn’t invaded Normandy or their invasion failed, Europe would be very, very different–-and very, very red.

Japanese were already losing before Leyte gulf

Irregardless, Leyte Gulf sped up their defeat considerably. If there wasn’t a Leyte Gulf the Japanese would have caused much more casualties to the Allies.

Plus, Leyte Gulf was the largest naval battle in history. I think I’d call that decisive.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m