If you could be any Civil war general who would you be?

• Was thinking ANV at first, probably John Bell Hood for his aggressive attacks early on and his majestic figure on the field. But he survived.
    Have decided to say a more level headed Patrick Ronayne Cleburne lately of His Majesty’s Army and native of County Cork. He was a great Westerner, equally at ease in attack or defence.
    He fell at Franklin, Tennessee on Nov 30th 1864.

• No question about it. It would have to be Jackson the stonewall of the east. I would not have been out late at night at chancellorsville scouting federal lines. Had he survived who knows what would have happened to the army of the potomac the next day ??

• @cupp:

No question about it. It would have to be Jackson the stonewall of the east. I would not have been out late at night at chancellorsville scouting federal lines. Had he survived who knows what would have happened to the army of the potomac the next day ??

The entire Army of the Potomac could have been smashed, and it would have made no difference in the end. After the European powers decided not to aid the Confederacy no one could have saved the south.

General U.S. Grant would be my pick.

• William Tecumseh Sherman

• Nathan Bedford Forrest

He killed between 20 to 33 men in hand to hand combat.

General Sherman stated that Forrest was worth 100,000 union troops.

• Forgot about Forrest. Think it was 10000 men though. A real thorn in the Union side in the latter years. And of course I love AP Hill and  what he did with his “light Division”. Died happily (quoting words similar to Jackson’s) rather than live after a Union victory.

• @wittman:

And of course I love AP Hill and  what he did with his “light Division”. Died happily (quoting words similar to Jackson’s) rather than live after a Union victory.

This reminds me of the anecdote about an fiery-tempered old lady in an area of a Southern state that had been occupied by the Union army.  I can’t recall the details, but she had refused in some manner to attend or be involved with the funeral of someone on the Union side.  The senior Union officer in the area confronted her about this, accusing her of refusing to help bury a Union officer.  The old lady retorted, “I’m ready to bury the whole Union army!”

• Nice. I think I remember reading something like that.

• Robert e lee!

• @strategic:

Robert e lee!

Lee would be an awesome choice. I couldn’t pick him, because in the South his name is cherished in the highest degree.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m