• @Subotai:

I’m Norwegian so the US geography was not the most important thing to learn at school, most of us learn (some of)  it later in life anyway, b/c US is the most important country in the western world, and the most interesting one to follow news and such, so for many outside the US (especially in Europe), it is generally the country we know most of, except for our own country. And all the films and TV series from the US contributes a lot.

But I think the reason why I was wrong on the actual number of states, is that, at least here in Norway, and probably in other European countries too, we tend to say that this or that country is the 51 state, b/c we (or other countries and politicians) follow and/or support the US foreign policy automatically instead of deciding our own foreign policy. And this issue is not necessarily related to the fact that we have many different opinions of the US foreign policy.

subotai its ok… ˝dont apologise˝

50+puerto rico… and maybe haiti ehhe
    if we would ask them how much states does EU have some wouldnt now

• but i think we re slowly removing from topic
    Haiti…

• Very interesting, Sub, thanks for that last post.

I wouldn’t expect everyone to know how many States the US has.

Back to your topic, Amon?

OK -

Does anyone know if the 6.1 aftershock was actually that significant, other than scaring a lot of people down there?

• @Brain:

I’m sorry but you have to be joking right? You can’t tell me that you didn’t know there were 50 states. Has the education system degraded that much?

To be fair, how many counties are in England?  How many provinces in France?

The US states are probably more well known, but still…

• Sorry Subotai I sometimes forget this is an international forum.

Keep the Haitians in Haiti.

• @Brain:

Sorry Subotai I sometimes forget this is an international forum.

Keep the Haitians in Haiti.

Right neah da beach.  Boyee!

Oh wait, that’s Jamaica.

• @Jermofoot:

@Brain:

I’m sorry but you have to be joking right? You can’t tell me that you didn’t know there were 50 states. Has the education system degraded that much?

To be fair, how many counties are in England?  How many provinces in France?

The US states are probably more well known, but still…

Well naturally we should know all the US states.
    They refer to them all the time…

On TV somebody’s always from Detroit, Michigan or Miami, Florida.
    Never Chicago, America.
    Only foreigners need to say their country!

Even Canadians usually skip naming their province since that’ll just confuse people or make them think it’s a new state.
    “Saskatche_what_? Ain’t that South of North Dakota?”

In fact, in my idle hours I have found it entertaining to throw the challenge at people to name all of the states. After 35 or so it gets a little tricky… too many start with M I think.

Anyway back to the newest state: Haiti.

• I keep hearing that the US is going to take in Haitians. I hope this is not the case.

• Julio Chavez says that type of thing. Typical for him.

• Julio Chavez says that type of thing. Typical for him.

aye. Sometimes when you’re a bleepity bleep bleep you gotta make lots of straw men to keep in power. BTW how much help did he send? Or did just mail them a get well card?

• He cant ever help himself not look stupid. He has not done anything.

• From what I have heard the only Haitians being allowed into the US were ones already in the process of immigrating or being adopted. They are bringing these in and fast tracking the process to get them out of a bad situation.

• there is so many violent acts… and ˝food fighting˝

the police cant establish an order
    and various groups wreak havoc

after natural
    there comes a social tragedy combined with it

• and some commenters apoint that this earthquake just showed how weak UN is… and how unable to make a swift and decisive action…

Haiti are near USA

what would ve been if the earthquake happened in Vanuatu or Fidji…

• What I want to know is if the Dominican Republic is ok.

• I heard the Dominican Republic was untouched. Whether that was because the quake didn’t hit with the same severity there or if they were better prepared for it.

• Almost all the damage was done to Port Au Prince. The epicenter was located 6 miles below the actual surface of the earth under Port Au Prince. An outlying suburb has also been damaged by an after shock.

Since this was the capital of Haiti both the Haitian government, what there was of it, and the UN mission in country have been effectively removed. The UN lost 3 of its top deputies at its headquarters. Much of the senior leadership of the Haitian Police Force was lost when their headquarters and the Ministry of Justice buildings collapsed.

• @tkroll:

I heard the Dominican Republic was untouched. Whether that was because the quake didn’t hit with the same severity there or if they were better prepared for it.

They were just far enough away from the epicenter.

• there is an information that haiti lost 60 % of its BDP in 60 seconds

:((((((

• Well, GDP is gross domestic product, a measurement of the size of a nation’s economy.

So I’m guessing it refers to the total size of Haiti’s economy.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m