I might use some help with an allies game here

• @andrewaagamer Thank you for the really good advice here. That clarifies a lot

• @knallbär

Do I need to use TripleA to see your file?

• @knallbär

Man, this is hard.

Here’s what you should do:

Depending on the circumstances, attack Germany if the opportunity is there. Otherwise follow standard AndrewAAGamer’s procedure on the Eastern Front.

This reminds me of how when I played against myself Germany always let the Soviets attack then wipe them out in a backhand blow. Wins the game every time.

Kill Iraq. The 3 infantry are more dangerous when united with Italy. Plus you get 2 IPCs.

The Soviets should declare war on Japan. Killing the 18 infantry sucks up a lot of resources and otherwise will force Japan to defend Manchuria and Korea. Grab Korea for a cheap 3 IPCs.

I’m not sure is it too late yet, but pour units into China as both the Soviets and India. India should be the chief helper here. Moving units there will create a bigger buffer zone between India and Japan. Soviet aircraft and tanks will work well in the vast spaces of China. Defending India from amphibious assault will be tough though.

You should grab French Indochina and Siam. Even if one unit is lost, you still gain IPCs.

Build a transport fleet and invade Europe.

Beyond this, the main tenet is to do what the Allies did in the real war to win. This means concentrating on Europe while protecting ANZAC and Hawaii, as the Soviets to retreat for time and space, and to invade Europe as the west as soon as possible, even at the expense of the Mediterranean.

Keep in mind this all just my opinion. If anything I say conflicts with AndrewAGamer, choose his word over mine.

• @andrewaagamer

Hi andrew, I have another question regarding the russian play: Shall I move the 18 Inf from far east to moscow or should they stack at the japanese border to become a hassle for the japanese and hopefully take a bunch of groundforces out of asia?

• @knallbär

I know you didn’t ask me, but I’m not sure. Considering you’re already a few turns in (assuming you’re asking about your current game), the infantry might arrive too late. Best to keep them as a distraction for Japan.

• @superbattleshipyamato

Sorry for the confusion. I won the last game already (that game for which i made the thread).

Know I am talking about general russian strategy.

• @knallbär Great Question!!!

This is a very hot topic, and I would not be in the position to say which way is the best way, however I can provide information as to the three most common moves that I have seen and both pros and cons of those choices.

Move all 20 units back to Moscow: 6 infantries can make Moscow by Turn 6 while the other 12 infantries and 2 AA guns can make it on Turn 7. This means 6 infantries make it before the Germans make what is their normal Turn 7 attack on Moscow and if Moscow holds all units can make it for the defense of Moscow.

Pro #1: This provides the most short-term protection of Moscow. These 20 extra units allow Moscow to hold to Turn 11 or 12 versus the normal 7 or 8. Those 20 units are worth 64 TUV.

Con #1: With those units gone Japan will most likely start attacking the East Russian Coast (Siberia) on Turn 2 or 3 at the latest. Going for Amur on about Turn 4 or 5. Rolling up the east flank getting to Yenisey by Turn 6 or 7. This costs Russia about $22 by J7 which means Russia loses out on 7 infantry (and thus only really gains 11 infantry and 2 AA Guns) and Japan gains that same $22. Going forward each Turn costs Russia $7 while Japan gains $7.

Con #2: With no Russian troops in Amur Japan is free to send all ground troops against China greatly improving their China attack.

Leave all 20 units in the East: Leaving all 20 units in the East, usually going to Buryatia on R1 and Amur on R2, puts pressure on Japan to defend their northern flank and protects the eastern Russian front.

Pro #1: Forces Japan to put 10 infantry, AA gun and 2 fighters in Korea to protect Korea from a Russian invasion. Those troops are badly needed for the attack on China and thus without them China will hold longer and collect more of their own monies.

Pro #2: Russia does not lose any IPCs due to a Japanese attack so in the long run they collect more money.

Con #1: Without the eastern troops Moscow is more at risk of falling and if Germany cannot take them on G7 they have time to build up for a G8 or G9 take since no additional troops are coming.

Move 6 infantry back to Moscow: This compromise provides more defense for Moscow before the normal German Turn 7 attack, 6 infantry, and still protects the bulk of the Russian eastern money though fewer Japanese troops are needed for the defense of Korea so more pressure is put on China. Those 12+2 units are probably not strong enough to stay in Amur and will linger in Buryatia waiting to move to Amur if Japan leaves Manchuria too weak. Being in Buryatia allows Japan to take a little Russian territory.

In summary: Bringing the troops back is more of a short-term solution and favors the Europe side of the board. It takes Germany longer to take Moscow but at the same time makes Japan stronger. Leaving the troops in the east weakens Japan significantly but puts Moscow more at risk, though Russia will collect more money until Moscow falls. Bringing back 6 infantry is a compromise that still protects Russia’s money however Japan is able to free up more troops going against China.

So, what is more important to you? Do you want to hold Moscow longer? Do you want to make Japan easier to control? Really that depends on your overall strategy and where you are putting your emphasis of attack.

Hope that helps…

• @andrewaagamer

That’s pretty much how I would’ve summed it up as well.

By the way, I would like to add that 18 infantry kills a lot of Japanese, and considering how hard it is to get units on the mainland Japan will have a tough time.

• @knallbär

Glad you won the game! Did our advice help?

• @andrewaagamer
    Thank you for the sound advice

• @superbattleshipyamato

I think it did, thank you all for that

• @knallbär

How do you view the gamefile? Everytime I try to view it it just opens it in a word doc and makes it impossible to read.

• @thedesertfox It’s a “saved game” for triplea.

• @barnee

Yeah, it took me a while to figure out as well. Before I had TripleA I was super frustrated not being able to read those files.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m