Six questions about the game (use of sea/air units, diplomacy)

• I have some multiple questions regarding the rules. I don’t know if I am allowed to do that, for this is my first post in this community. But any help would be appreciated as I just recently got the game and in our first play through but came against some questions.

Q1. When you attack with a fleet including transports and you lose all your warships do all your transports die as well (defenceless transport rule) or are you allowed to retreat? (example I attack with 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser and a transport ship. The enemy hit 2 so I have to choice my destroyer and cruiser. Can I retreat now with my transport ship or is it automatically destroyed?

Q2. Can tactical bombers be used to scramble against an amphibious assault, adjacent sea battles and used as interceptors?

Q3. Can you bring a battleship to a sea zone containing enemy ships but not fight them to save your battleship to do an bombardment in the same turn? (example American fleet consist of 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser, 1 battleship and 1 transport, now the American player want to do an amphibious assault in Normandy but the sea zone needed to unload your units from is occupied by a German cruiser. Can you now move all your sea units into that zone but only let your cruiser and destroyer fight the German cruiser and save the battleship for the bombardment or do all ships to have to participate?

Q4. Can fighters be scrambled to attack defenceless transport ships in adjacent sea areas. (example German fighter in Normandy can be scrambled to attack lone British transport ship who wants to unload its troops in Holland & Belgium. (Bonus question can Kamikaze be used against lone transport ships or  can Kamikaze never be used against transport ships)?

Q5. Is Japan able to build a Major Industry Complex in Korea? As it has an Japanese Emblem on it.

Q6. Final Question in the rules it is stated that the Americans are not allowed to declare war on the Axis if the Japanese do not carry out an unprovoked attack on the British, French, ANZAC, (Dutch maybe?) What is considered an provoked attack then for the Japanese to still be able to attack the western allies without risking war with the Americans. Or has the Japanese to be attacked first by the allies to qualify as an provoked attack?

I would love to hear your opinions and expertise about these questions.

• Hello Nazred. A warm welcome to the forum.

Of course you can ask questions about the rules and we will all try to help. Your questions will help those of us (such as myself) who think they have the answers and need to learn otherwise! :-)

@Nazred:

Q1. When you attack with a fleet including transports and you lose all your warships do all your transports die as well (defenceless transport rule) or are you allowed to retreat? (example I attack with 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser and a transport ship. The enemy hit 2 so I have to choice my destroyer and cruiser. Can I retreat now with my transport ship or is it automatically destroyed?

That is an interesting one in that I have not come across those precise circumstances before. My answer would be that retreat is at the end of a round of combat. The transport would die as part of that round of combat before you got the retreat option.

@Nazred:

Q2. Can tactical bombers be used to scramble against an amphibious assault, adjacent sea battles and used as interceptors?

They can scramble but not intercept.

@Nazred:

Q3. Can you bring a battleship to a sea zone containing enemy ships but not fight them to save your battleship to do an bombardment in the same turn? (example American fleet consist of 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser, 1 battleship and 1 transport, now the American player want to do an amphibious assault in Normandy but the sea zone needed to unload your units from is occupied by a German cruiser. Can you now move all your sea units into that zone but only let your cruiser and destroyer fight the German cruiser and save the battleship for the bombardment or do all ships to have to participate?

If there is a sea battle then coastal bombardment is precluded. Your battleship would take part in that sea battle.

@Nazred:

Q4. Can fighters be scrambled to attack defenceless transport ships in adjacent sea areas. (example German fighter in Normandy can be scrambled to attack lone British transport ship who wants to unload its troops in Holland & Belgium. (Bonus question can Kamikaze be used against lone transport ships or  can Kamikaze never be used against transport ships)?

If a defenceless transport is making a combat move to unload troops then an airbase adjacent to that sea zone can scramble.

Kamikaze cannot be used to attack transports (or submarines).

@Nazred:

Q5. Is Japan able to build a Major Industry Complex in Korea? As it has an Japanese Emblem on it.

Yes. It is an original Japanese territory worth 3 + ipcs and so is eligible for a major factory.

@Nazred:

Q6. Final Question in the rules it is stated that the Americans are not allowed to declare war on the Axis if the Japanese do not carry out an unprovoked attack on the British, French, ANZAC, (Dutch maybe?) What is considered an provoked attack then for the Japanese to still be able to attack the western allies without risking war with the Americans. Or has the Japanese to be attacked first by the allies to qualify as an provoked attack?

Japan declaring war on the UK/ANZAC allows the US to declare war on Japan and/or Germany. However, if the UK/ANZAC declare war on Japan then the US is unable to declare war until the collect income phase of turn 3.

Other replies will tell you if I have any of that wrong. :-)

Cheers
    PP

• Welcome Nasred.

Q1: The Transport does indeed survive and can retreat, if the defender only got two hits, like you said.
    It can only retreat to a SZ empty of enemy ships and not through a Strait or Canal, if unfriendly, of course.

• Apologies: Nazred.

• '19 '17 '16

@wittmann:

Welcome Nasred.

Q1: The Transport does indeed survive and can retreat, if the defender only got two hits, like you said.
    It can only retreat to a SZ empty of enemy ships and not through a Strait or Canal, if unfriendly, of course.

Quite, but if the defender hit 3 times while the attacker was using 2 non-capital warships and was assaulting with 2 transports, one of the transports is hit and the other can retreat. Or at least that is my understanding.

• Thank you all for the warm welcome and very clear explanations. I will be enjoying the game even further thanks to you guys :)

• That is correct, Simon.

• @Nazred:

Thank you all for the warm welcome and very clear explanations. I will be enjoying the game even further thanks to you guys :)

Our pleasure Nazred. And, by-the-way, wittman will be correct about transports being able to retreat.

• @Nazred:

As Normandy does not start with an air base, I think it may be prudent to point out you can only scramble from an air base adjacent to a sea zone.

• Nicely spotted, Spendo02.

• I was wondering as well can airplanes land in captured area’s which were pro your side. (example in non-combat movement fase infatry from norway take finland and then fighter from norway land in the same turn in finland) I was wondering this because it was possible in tripleA

• @Nazred:

I was wondering as well can airplanes land in captured area’s which were pro your side. (example in non-combat movement fase infatry from norway take finland and then fighter from norway land in the same turn in finland) I was wondering this because it was possible in tripleA

This is not legal:

@rulebook:

Air Units: An air unit must end its move in an eligible
    landing space. Air units can land in any territory that
    was friendly (but not friendly neutral) at the start of the
    current turn.

TripleA lists in the game notes for the Global map:

@Game:

• (PE) You may not land air units in Friendly Neutrals, including the same turn they are captured, unless they have been previously attacked.

(PE) = Player Enforced = You must be aware of the rule and must follow it. The engine will not stop you from breaking the rule.

HTH :-)

• @P@nther:

@Nazred:

I was wondering as well can airplanes land in captured area’s which were pro your side. (example in non-combat movement fase infatry from norway take finland and then fighter from norway land in the same turn in finland) I was wondering this because it was possible in tripleA

This is not legal:

@rulebook:

Air Units: An air unit must end its move in an eligible
    landing space. Air units can land in any territory that
    was friendly (but not friendly neutral) at the start of the
    current turn.

TripleA lists in the game notes for the Global map:

@Game:

• (PE) You may not land air units in Friendly Neutrals, including the same turn they are captured, unless they have been previously attacked.

(PE) = Player Enforced = You must be aware of the rule and must follow it. The engine will not stop you from breaking the rule.

HTH :-)

Ahhh thank you!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m