Axis & Allies: Europe and Pacific 1940 Fact sheet ( AAE40 and AAP40)

• LH 9/5/09

I have some catching up to do with your questions, sorry:
    No to Azores. Yes to Malta. No to Railroad (as much as I love the idea).
    Movements between Sicily and Italy require transports. Palma – I haven’t decided yet.
    Italy will not have the option of joining the Axis… by Spring 1940 Italy was firmly in the Axis camp. No separate Chinese player. US War-Time economy kicks in when it enters the war… around turn 3 or 4. this roughly equates to sometime around late 41.
    There will be TECH system but only in the Global game. . Probably no paratroopers. There will not be blockhouses.
    I don’t see blockhouses as a potential TECH. Yes… minor ICs can be upgraded to major providing they are on 3-IPC territories.

Hi and welcome Wild Bill – France will be split into 3 territories. Indeed you cannot attack the same territory from the Med and the Atlantic. There is a central territory called France (it contains Paris). It has an IC. It does not touch coast. Coastal territories of the country (France) are worth far less than central France. No buffer between Paris territory and German border. France has two major ICs (This might change to one major and one minor). France will have a major or minor IC on the Atlantic coast. French fleet will have its own turn sequence… It will be controlled probably by the British player, however. Like any power, if the capital falls it cannot produce new units until it is liberated. France will fall! How many axis units it takes with it is what is in question. France can be liberated… In which case it will receive and activate its own economy. It will also receive a certain amount of infantry units (free) that are immediately placed in the game. Viva le France! England will be two territories…

I don’t want to get too into convoys at this time other than to say: They are there. If an enemy fleet is parked on a convoy (sea zone) that is adjacent to one of your controlled territories, the income from these or this territory is subject to disruption.

Totally impassable Pripet Marsh is in the game.
    There will be no Polish Corridor – not worth the effort and complications it presents.
    Greater Southern Germany will include Austria. I’ve linked Czech Republic (call it Slovakia) to Hungary. No, Northern Ireland will not be a separate territory.
    There will be no special D-Day rule.

I don’t want a special case for Pripet marsh. It cannot be occupied nor can it be entered.
    I like your thinking Flashman…. I just can’t (or actually) – don’t want go into that kind of special detail for this one map location. This is purely a game mechanic decision. I feel like it crosses that “complication” line where you and i often differ.

As I said above there will be no railroad game mechanics.

The US gets into the war in one of two ways. It is either attacked by Japan or it automatically goes to war on a given turn… Japan, due to economic reasons WILL attack the US before it automatically finds itself at war (or at least at the same time). This had to be designed this way… Otherwise there was a real potential that the US player ended up not even playing.

Who is this “Eagle” from Norway? Never heard of an Eagle with such a nice Icon. Are you asking a question or telling me that there is a special rule that says that the German player must declare war on USA in turn 3? You’ll be one of the few who will be happy to know there is no new rail system of movement in this game. Oh… sea movement changes… you’d like to see ships move 4 sea zones a turn? Wow, with the new naval bases that would let em move 5 sea zones per turn… I mean if I’m going to change a sea movement rule that has been traditionally (25 years) a 2 sea zones per turn and the design was based on 2 sea zones per turn stat , then I might just as well make it a 4 as any other number (I don’t think so). You think its silly to end a trannys move just because it dropped off some men… ok… its silly. What do you want me to tell you ?

If Japan does attack the UK and ANZACs then yes… The US goes to war.

• yes i am http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=12 and heres more:

LH 9/5/09

East Africa – how will this be represented in AAE40?
    Well I think so. I mean the French, the Italians and the British are all represented down there. I mean there’s Kenya, Tanganyika Territory, Rhodesia, Union of South Africa, South West Africa, British Somaliland, Anglo-Egyptian Sudan and an administered from London - Belgian Congo, and that’s just the British stuff… Hope this answers your question.

Cruisers? They are unchanged.

• '10

Found some facts…dont know if these have already been posted

Major factories Can only be built on a territory with an IPC value of 3 or higher (not too many of these out there – especially in AAP – Korea, Kiangsu (Shanghai), Kwangtung (Hong Kong)

already listed in facts

Per LH

Major produces up to 10 units. Can only be built on a territory with an IPC value of 3 or higher (not too many of these out there – especially in AAP – With the exception of Manchuria there are no none in fact).  … Korea, Kiangsu (Shanghai), Kwangtung (Hong Kong) - forgot about those
    Minor factories can only be built on territories with an IPC income of 2 or higher. No factory can be built on an island – Exceptions - Japan and Australia (Which are not really considered islands and already have factories anyway). In a nutshell… There will not be a lot of new factories popping up in AAP40. As for bombers appearing in Sydney… it can happen, but in a (somewhat) limited manner.

• '10

Per Krieghund 10/13/09

Quote from: idk_iam_swiss on October 13, 2009, 07:23:59 pm
    Now we have specific production facilities?  Meaning I can ONLY build a bomber or fighter where theres an airfeild and I can ONLY build a battleship or sub where there is a port?

Everything is still built at ICs (except Chinese units).  You can’t build units at bases.

Quote from: Brain Damaged on October 13, 2009, 08:19:01 pm
    Are there going to be game pieces for air/naval bases like their are for factories?

Yes.

• '10

can airfields and seaports be built?

Per Krieghund 10/13/09

Yes, they can

• '10

I am assuming that air/naval bases can be built in a territory that does not contain a factory. Is this true?

has not been addressed yet

I know that the naval bases are for repairing ships, but are they also a place to build ships other than factories? Can we build ships in territories containing facories? naval bases? or either?

Per Krieghund:

Everything is still built at ICs (except Chinese units).  You can’t build units at bases.

What is the advantage of an airbase as with existing rules we can land planes in any territory?

1. Per LH :FYI… naval bases, factories and airbases now each have their own air defense. AA guns are restricted to protecting land units only
    2. Per Krieghund:An island can launch aircraft (fighters and Tac bombers to its surrounding sea zone and attack or defend in a battle if the island has an airbase
    3.Per Krieghund:They also allow air units taking off from them to move one extra space.

• Official Q&A

@Brain:

I am assuming that air/naval bases can be built in a territory that does not contain a factory. Is this true?

They can be built in any territory.  Of course, it helps if a naval base is in a territory that’s adjacent to at least one sea zone.

• LH 9-18

I can tell you this… There will be Paratroopers. They will be one of 12 techs (which are all pretty close to the Anniversary game’s techs.)

I call out Paratroopers because they have been radically changed from that tech in Anniversary. Infantry (up to 2) can be flown, to join an attack, if that location is within a 3 territory/sea zone range. They don’t need bombers or any other aircraft representation. They must however be on a territory with an airbase.

• Will the Italians have nation-specific units?- besides the infantry and tanks??
    No.

Will the Global Rules, NOs and such be included with the Europe??
    Yes and Weapons Development

Will USSR, UK, USA, Italy, Germany, France have their own boxes???
    Not sure about France but otherwise - Yes

How far is the E40 game finished, Global game??
    It’s in the can.

• @johnnymarr:

Found some facts…dont know if these have already been posted

Major factories Can only be built on a territory with an IPC value of 3 or higher (not too many of these out there – especially in AAP – Korea, Kiangsu (Shanghai), Kwangtung (Hong Kong)

And malaya
    think that south east asia will be one big battlefield, just like 25 years later :D

• '10

Per LH 12/4/09

What kind of units will France have besides its own infantry sculpt? French tanks, artillery or ships??? or will they be like the US/UK type units.
    For the moment France will have only French Infantry as a dedicated French piece.
    Is is true that Europe 40 will be out in June of 2010?? (I hope so, because that gives me and my AA friends some time to play in the summer when I am less busy.) You bet…

• '10

Per Craig A Yope 12/6/09

The only time that Convoy Zones are affected by an enemy naval unit (sub and/or surface combat naval unit) is during the Collect Income Phase of the power whose territory (or territories) is adjacent to the sea zone.

Example:  If the USA has a sub in SZ 19 during the Collect Income Phase of the Japanese turn, the Japanese will collect two less IPCs.

Now that assumes that the Japanese still control at least 2 IPCs worth of territory that is adjacent to that SZ.  In the above example, there is a maximum of 10 IPCs adjacent to SZ 19.

So if the Allies have enough naval units (transports don’t count) in SZ 19 during the Japanese’s Collect Income Phase, they could interdict 10 IPCs.  (Also, this assumes that Japan is at war with the Allies.)

Note: Each sub causes the loss of 2 IPCs, while each surface combat unit causes the loss of 1 IPCs.

• '10

per djensen 12/7/09

regarding victory conditions:

Japan must capture and hold 6 of 8 cities and Allies must capture and hold Japan

• '10

Per djansen 12/8/09

6 kamikaze attacks are allowed. I can’t remember how it works in the original AAP. There is a precondition to using the kamikaze and it can only be used in indicated sea zones. You must declare kamikaze as soon as the opponent moves into the sea zone where you want to attack. No Japanese units are involved.

• Official Q&A

@KH:

When a battleship is damaged (once hit & flipped on it’s side), does it then lose it’s ability to conduct shore bombardment or not? I guess it will keep that ability, because I can’t find text in the rulebook claiming otherwise. If that is indeed the case, this would be incorrect in my opinion, because a damaged carrier does lose abilities…

A battleship loses none of its capabilities when it takes its first hit (other than the ability to take two hits).  This is reflective of the fact that battleships can take more punishment than carriers.

• '10

LH 1/4/10 AAE40

There are 6 territories offering up a total of 12 IPCs in the Middle East

• Official Q&A

@RJL518:

a tac bomber attacks at a 4 when paired with a tank or fighter no matter what u are attacking…

i think thats right…

Yes, it is.

• '10

Per LH 1//11/10

And the turn sequence for the Global game (combined AAP40 and AAE40) is:
    1. Germany
    2. Soviet Union
    3. Japan
    4. United Kingdom
    5. ANZAC
    6. Italy
    7. United States
    8. China
    and 9. France.

• Official Q&A

Think about it.  The UK begins AAP40 not at war with Japan.  Do you think it will begin AAE40 not at war with Germany?

• Will US have a spilt income in the global game- 50IPC for Pacific theater and 50IPC for the Europe theater- or will they be able to combine their income and dominate one theater??? The US will NOT have a split income in the global game. However, one of the powers will indeed have a split income but not the US.

I’m assuming E40 and P40 National Objectives will remain the same for the global game- true??? No… Their will actually be fewer of them thus making it easier to keep tabs of.

In the Europe Game… what are the starting IPC values??? France will start with 17.

What are the Victory Cities in the E40 game??? One of them will be Cairo.

LH 2/4/10

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m