Axis & Allies: Europe and Pacific 1940 Fact sheet ( AAE40 and AAP40)

• @johnnymarr:

Found some facts…dont know if these have already been posted

Major factories Can only be built on a territory with an IPC value of 3 or higher (not too many of these out there – especially in AAP – Korea, Kiangsu (Shanghai), Kwangtung (Hong Kong)

And malaya
    think that south east asia will be one big battlefield, just like 25 years later :D

• '10

Per LH 12/4/09

What kind of units will France have besides its own infantry sculpt? French tanks, artillery or ships??? or will they be like the US/UK type units.
    For the moment France will have only French Infantry as a dedicated French piece.
    Is is true that Europe 40 will be out in June of 2010?? (I hope so, because that gives me and my AA friends some time to play in the summer when I am less busy.) You bet…

• '10

Per Craig A Yope 12/6/09

The only time that Convoy Zones are affected by an enemy naval unit (sub and/or surface combat naval unit) is during the Collect Income Phase of the power whose territory (or territories) is adjacent to the sea zone.

Example:  If the USA has a sub in SZ 19 during the Collect Income Phase of the Japanese turn, the Japanese will collect two less IPCs.

Now that assumes that the Japanese still control at least 2 IPCs worth of territory that is adjacent to that SZ.  In the above example, there is a maximum of 10 IPCs adjacent to SZ 19.

So if the Allies have enough naval units (transports don’t count) in SZ 19 during the Japanese’s Collect Income Phase, they could interdict 10 IPCs.  (Also, this assumes that Japan is at war with the Allies.)

Note: Each sub causes the loss of 2 IPCs, while each surface combat unit causes the loss of 1 IPCs.

• '10

per djensen 12/7/09

regarding victory conditions:

Japan must capture and hold 6 of 8 cities and Allies must capture and hold Japan

• '10

Per djansen 12/8/09

6 kamikaze attacks are allowed. I can’t remember how it works in the original AAP. There is a precondition to using the kamikaze and it can only be used in indicated sea zones. You must declare kamikaze as soon as the opponent moves into the sea zone where you want to attack. No Japanese units are involved.

• Official Q&A

@KH:

When a battleship is damaged (once hit & flipped on it’s side), does it then lose it’s ability to conduct shore bombardment or not? I guess it will keep that ability, because I can’t find text in the rulebook claiming otherwise. If that is indeed the case, this would be incorrect in my opinion, because a damaged carrier does lose abilities…

A battleship loses none of its capabilities when it takes its first hit (other than the ability to take two hits).  This is reflective of the fact that battleships can take more punishment than carriers.

• '10

LH 1/4/10 AAE40

There are 6 territories offering up a total of 12 IPCs in the Middle East

• Official Q&A

@RJL518:

a tac bomber attacks at a 4 when paired with a tank or fighter no matter what u are attacking…

i think thats right…

Yes, it is.

• '10

Per LH 1//11/10

And the turn sequence for the Global game (combined AAP40 and AAE40) is:
    1. Germany
    2. Soviet Union
    3. Japan
    4. United Kingdom
    5. ANZAC
    6. Italy
    7. United States
    8. China
    and 9. France.

• Official Q&A

Think about it.  The UK begins AAP40 not at war with Japan.  Do you think it will begin AAE40 not at war with Germany?

• Will US have a spilt income in the global game- 50IPC for Pacific theater and 50IPC for the Europe theater- or will they be able to combine their income and dominate one theater??? The US will NOT have a split income in the global game. However, one of the powers will indeed have a split income but not the US.

I’m assuming E40 and P40 National Objectives will remain the same for the global game- true??? No… Their will actually be fewer of them thus making it easier to keep tabs of.

In the Europe Game… what are the starting IPC values??? France will start with 17.

What are the Victory Cities in the E40 game??? One of them will be Cairo.

LH 2/4/10

• [Q1]: What is the ‘pro-axis’ and ‘pro-ally’ mechanic for neutrals and how does it work? Let me say this… rules related to Pro this or pro that will be consistent with AAP40. However, neutrals will play a MUCH greater role in Europe than Pacific.

[Q2]: Can the US (or other Allied powers) be at war with one Axis power, but not the others (i.e. fighting Japan, but not Germany)? Yep… the UK and the ANZAC are indeed at war with Germany as the game opens. They are, in contrast, not at war with Japan.

[Q3]: Will there be any nation-specific ‘boosts’ in Europe (like Kamikazes are for the Japanese in Pacific '40)? No. I did not see the need.
    I probably should point out that when a power enters a friendly neutral during a NCM the neutrals standing army converts and the actual units are placed on the board. This can make for some interesting developments in Greece and Finland as just two examples.
    [Q4]: What are the victory conditions for the Europe and Global games? I don’t want to go there just now. I can assure you that there will be no great surprises in this regard, however.

[Q5]: Will the Dardanelles be closed in Europe (thus preventing Italian naval attacks on Caucasus)? Closed? Well yes and no… if you control Turkey you can pass through the Dardanelles. If not - well sorry, no passage is possible. there will be other straits that can deny enemy passage as well.

and, finally

[Q6] Can you reveal any more of the Weapon Developments planned for Global? The paratroopers rule that you previewed looked very interesting, it will probably open up a lot of new strategies in the Pacific (and may make Air Base purchases more viable!). These weapons are pretty much the same as those found in Anniversary.

LH 2/4/10

• '10

Per LH 02/4/10

.      Due to technical and cost reason … there will NOT be a dedicated Italian tank in the AAE40 game after all. To be clear, there will be a dedicated Italian infantry units, but the rest will be borrowed and implemented by using units from other powers. . I point this out now so that some of you will not be too disappointed when the game comes out. This is not to suggest that instead of growing the Italian presence in the game it is diminishing. On the contrary, at some point I can see there being an entire collection of Italian units (land, sea an air). Bear with us as we make every practical attempt to get this and other games to that point. There’s a lot more that goes into the selection of the game elements than meet the eye. Frankly, at times, certain units become simply cost prohibitive from a production point of view.

• '10

Per LH 2/5/10

.      ve mentioned Zealand (Denmark) a few times. I hope it is included in the Euro side. If you look at the AA50 map its there. It appears like its part of neutral Sweden though (weird). It is now there and part of Denmark. If Zealand is included as a playable island it could serve as a straight rule. The Luftwaffe stationed on an AB there could represent the air cover the axis had at the Baltic entrance. Depending on how the sz are drawn in, Germany might get some air cover for its fleet. It is not a named island… It appears as part of Denmark. The German navy is some what protected in that it is beyond the range of UK fighters (UK and back). Also there are some rules that prevent enemy passage into or out of the Baltic if Germany controls Denmark - which it of course does.

I also hope that Germany is represented as it was historically, (northern tip below Denmark) to give it access to an expanded North sea (2 sz) It is. The Baltic should also be min 2sz IMO. It has 3 sea zones.

|    
    |

• '10

Per LH 3/27/10

widened Atlantic, but no Azores…

• LH 3/29/10

1.What technology is in the game? be specific. Be specific? What if I’m not specific? I don’t feel like being “specific”. I will tell you this, however: There is nothing unusual or totally new here. Only the Global game uses Weapons Development and that’s optional. The purist I am, I don’t much like Weapons Development when playing the game, that’s neither here nor there…
    R&D Sequence
    1. Buy research dice
    2. Roll research dice
    3. Roll breakthrough die
    4. Mark developments
    There are 12 Developments available:
    Advanced Artillery
    Rockets
    Paratroopers
    Increased Factory Production
    War Bonds
    Improved Mechanized Infantry
    Radar
    L-R Aircraft
    Heavy Bombers.

2. What are the political rules? Who can attack who and when? what advantages do the pro-axis/allies neutrals give you?
    The opening paragraph from the rule book:
    As the game begins, only France and the United Kingdom are at war with Germany and Italy. The two other great powers- The United States and the Soviet Union- are not yet at war with the Axis powers. Many other countries also tried to remain neutral, but as the war became global, many of them were forced to join one side or the other.

3. More information on the structure of the game board. What other ways is it different from the original A&A Europe? What new territories or reshaping of old territories do you think will increase strategy and diversity in gameplay aswell historical realism? Allow me to give a broad brush answer to this question - Neutrals are going to play a big new part in this game. They come alive and even provide infantry if occupied by a friendly power. They become alive if invaded by an unfriendly power. Their generated infantry proves to be not too receptive to the incursion, however.

The territory layouts have been totally beefed up – there are more of them. The sea zones are arranged somewhat differently. The use of naval bases and their impact on the sea zones will also influence how you will look at this new strategic situation. The Med and Africa are sweet! OH… and so is the Eastern Front. The Middle East has both IPC and strategic values, the likes of which have never been experienced before.

Oztea…
    1. What techs did you have to change (textualy) Paratroopers for sure. and what replaced Mech Infantry Nothing… they can be improved, however.

2. How did you keep Russia in check, preventing it from becoming too strong early, so that germany can eventualy attack it? is it super weak to start, or does it have limited cash (like the US) Russia kept in check…? Found the balance. Studied the math. Made the country feel bigger, more vast, if you will.

3. some other neato nation/territory specific rules (+4 inf for france, Non-Agression Pact, How to Straits work?) Straits – There are 3 of them. The Turkish Straits, Gibraltar and the Danish Straits. If your side (but not necessarily your power) controlled a canal or narrow strait at the start of your turn, you may move sea units through it. If not… then they can’t. Unfriendly Subs can however pass through the Strait of Gibraltar

Questioneer

1. Reveal all the global tech and how this works.

2. NOs for Europe and Global

3. Any special rules in Europe… You mean like Kamikazes in Pacific… no. Well maybe one or two… for example if Paris is Liberated the French power immediately can place 4 infantry units in France.

There are fewer NOs in the Global game than in the Europe game. Some of them are the same in both games.
    Here are a couple of examples from the Global game:
    Germany – 5 IPCs representing trade of wheat and oil from the Soviet Union. This bonus ends in the event of war between the two powers.
    Soviet Union – 6 IPCs for each original German territory the Soviet Union controls as long as the Soviet Union controls all of its own original territories.

• LH 4/1/10

Here’s the specifics for Improved Shipyards:
    Improved Shipyards, Your sea units are now cheaper to build. Use these revised cost:
    Battleship 17
    Aircraft Carrier 13
    Cruiser 10
    Destroyer 7
    Transport 8
    Submarine 5

Quote:
    Although I was wondering about jet fighters since it would obsolete tac bombers if it cause fighter to attack on a 4. Does jet fighters increase fighter defence or what would be even better is if it imporved interceptors in SB.

Yep… The world was not ready for Jet propelled dive bombers yet. Jet fighter defense is not increased. I like the improve “interceptors” (they don’t now). This could become one of those Designer Endorsed House Rules I’ve been talking about starting up. I think I should call it Larry’s Endorsed House Rules … Yeah! That’s the ticket… LH’s Endorsed House Rules.

Quote:
    But its your game so why dont you make tech rules you like.

It’s long past my doing just what I want. At this point in time there exist a very firm and well established set of rules that absolutely dictate what can and cannot be permitted from a design point of view. Kreighund is my Constitutional lawyer (among other things) and he keeps me in line. … maybe “Rules Supreme Court” would be a better analogy.

Quote:
    Have you ever thaught of designing a tech expansion for A&A, with tech rules everyone will enjoy?

I have been thinking of writing a manual or book (what ever) and including things like that. Speaking of an A&A book Do you think you’d buy one (or 6 copies to keep up with IL)?
    What would you like to see included in such a book?

Oztea
    Hey man… keep your researchers if you like… No big deal. If you like we could make it a LH’s Endorsed House Rule. I mean everyone would be playing the same system and that levels out the success or failure ratio for all. But to answer your question… yes we have no research dice today.

Quote:
    The Mediteranian….and Middle east…the likes of which weve never seen before (larry you might need a new catch phrase)

Got one in mind? How about… they’re the bees knees.

Quote:
    So by your rules, straits are controled by 1 land territory (a assume), unlike canals that need two…so does that make it the Panama Strait? becuase its one territory? or is the Suez canal now controled by one territory? Just a territory named Suez or Siannai? Also are the territorys containing a strait surroned by one seazone, and deny movement PAST that zone, or are they touched by multiple zones, but deny movement across a certan line? Help me larry, I am confuse

You’re giving me a headache. You figure it out.

Quote:
    What brought about the +4 for france? Historical Freedom fighters? Balance Issue?
    a reason for germany to protect it so france doesnt get free guys?

First of all that should be France (with a Capital F). I would recommend Reading a thing or two about Leclair’s 2eme DB. It and other material that cover this period and place are very interesting. From a design prospective I must admit that I was guided more by Historical implications than any thing else. I felt that France needed a NO like all the other powers represented in the game as well. Balance… Come on… if the Allies liberate France it’s about time to start winding down the game. Other than symbolism and providing the Allies with a few more defensive units, 4 more French units are not going to make all that difference one way or the other.

Larry Harris Community Outreach Program

Ha hahhhahah. I don’t feel like it right now. Oh ok… here’s one:
    Italy- 5 IPCs if there are no Allied surface warships in the Med.

• '10

Per LH 4/1/10

I am assuming the UK is the power w/split income in the global game, and India is where part of its income will be spent. Please correct me if I’m wrong. You are exactly correct.

1. In the global game does India keep its major IC, or is it reduced to a minor. It remains a Major IC
    2. In global does India get all income earned on the Pacific side of the map, It does or is it limited to certain tt (if so what tt). Simply stated … India’s IPC are derived from the Pacific side of the map. Also is there an NO for the UK/India (E Indies), and is it awarded to UK or India? DEI’s goes to the British Pacific command (in other words India)… Only Europe UK gets NOs.3) In the Europe only game does UK have a minor IC on what I guess would be West India, or maybe in Egypt? There is a South African minor IC. Egypt has naval base, however.4) In either Euro only or global is UK given an IC (minor) any where in Africa (S. Africa)? Yep… SA. They also have a minor IC in Quebec.5) In Euro only, is there a minor IC in Eastern Canada w/air base & naval base. If so does it still have them in the global game. They do and yes they are.6) Will there be an exception allowing ftrs to scramble from an air base on England. It has always been considered an Island Nation (about the same size as Japan)? Yeah, yeah yeah… This became a design “struggle” believe me. I’d love to see those Spitfires and 109s going at it over the Channel, but the game mechanics, for the sake of consistency, cannot allow this in the official rules. I’m considering the creation of a section at this site called “Designer Endorsed House Rules”. Things/issues like this, and others of course, could be incorporated there.
      I 100% agree Canada being a separate power in either game would make things most difficult for the UK. I am rather intrigued w/Canada continuing the fight for the UK if England falls. A contingency plan based on Canadian income, maybe with some start up capital ($) if/when it happens. Of course returning power back to UK would also have to be worked out. I will look forward to this and other semi official rules that you come up with, or endorse. We come up with would be a better way of putting this. And yes, this is another example of such rules.
      Thanks again WB – Thank you Wild Bill

• France will be split into 3 territories. Indeed you cannot attack the same territory from the Med and the Atlantic. There is a central territory called France (it contains Paris). It has an IC. It does not touch coast. Coastal territories of the country (France) are worth far less than central France. No buffer between Paris territory and German border. France has two major ICs (This might change to one major and one minor). France will have a major or minor IC on the Atlantic coast. French fleet will have its own turn sequence… It will be controlled probably by the British player, however. Like any power, if the capital falls it cannot produce new units until it is liberated. France will fall! How many axis units it takes with it is what is in question. France can be liberated… In which case it will receive and activate its own economy. It will also receive a certain amount of infantry units (free) that are immediately placed in the game. Viva le France!

• '10

Per LH 4/4/10

The political rules will make things interesting. I think so and frankly they were necessary. To not have included them in a 1940 start date game would have not been fulfilling and realistic at all. Unfortunately, they have caused some issues. Russia should start out as neutral vs the Euro axis, It does… but does it start out neutral vs Jap, sounds like they will. I have left this to the Japanese and Russian player to figure out between themselves. I think it’s kind of fun to have a bit of unpredictability on that front. I once conducted a big Japanese, basically an air attack, against a consolidated Russian position of some 18 infantry and never recovered as Japan. No surprise for sure, but it drove home that Russia is no pushover on that front and Japan is rather motivated to keep the peace. Also sounds like Russia/Jap can declare war on each other at any time, or not at all. That’s pretty much the case. However, it is important to point out that Russia cannot attack a Euro Axis until its turn 4. This is not to say that it can’t be at war with the Euro Axis before that moment. That depends on whether or not they are attacked by them.… Just because Russia is at war w/Germany, doesn’t necessarily mean it will be at war w/Japan. And like wise, just because Russia is at war with German and/or Italy doesn’t mean that its a war with Japan. They both (Japan and Russia) have good reasons to not mess with each other – at least not until their other pressing problems are resolved one way or the other. I would think that if Russian units move into UK/Chinese tt they would first have to declare war on Japan (like UK moving into China). In addition to normal restrictions, the Soviet Union may not move units into China (until at war with Japan of course). I also would think that if UK/Jap go to war (regardless who starts it) Russia will still have the option to stay out. It does…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m