• @Krieghund:

@cousin_joe:

1. Is there any mechanism for the Sub to avoid the combat since there is no enemy DD present (eg. diving before the battle in lieu of it’s 1st strike?)

Yes, if there is no enemy DD present, a sub may sumerge instead of firing.  This happens at the beginning of each combat round, before any dice are rolled.  The attacker submerges first, then the defender.

So no ‘free’ shot, but a chance to avoid being killed.

Same goes in the above example about two cruisers and a battleship.

The sub would have the option to dive without being subjected to attacking fire of the cruisers and BB.

• @Krieghund:

@cousin_joe:

1. Is there any mechanism for the Sub to avoid the combat since there is no enemy DD present (eg. diving before the battle in lieu of it’s 1st strike?)

Yes, if there is no enemy DD present, a sub may sumerge instead of firing.  This happens at the beginning of each combat round, before any dice are rolled.  The attacker submerges first, then the defender.

So, an attacking sub can move into combat and submerge in the first round of combat without ever firing a shot if no destroyer is present?  If this is the case, destroyers are all the more important because by doing the above described move, a lone sub could prevent the next power from loading units during combat phase in a contested sea zone.

• Official Q&A

@gsh34:

So, an attacking sub can move into combat and submerge in the first round of combat without ever firing a shot if no destroyer is present?

Yes.

@gsh34:

If this is the case, destroyers are all the more important because by doing the above described move, a lone sub could prevent the next power from loading units during combat phase in a contested sea zone.

No, it can’t.  Enemy subs and transports don’t stop movement, loading, or any other activity.

• @Krieghund:

@gsh34:

If this is the case, destroyers are all the more important because by doing the above described move, a lone sub could prevent the next power from loading units during combat phase in a contested sea zone.

No, it can’t.  Enemy subs and transports don’t stop movement, loading, or any other activity.

That’s a huge difference in AA50.  Players must learn to remember that Transports and subs are now of the ‘sub-human’ class (for lack of a better term, no offense to the Gieco cavemen or other sub-humans out there)  :roll:

There’s surface war ships, and then there’s tpts and subs.

• After so many games of Revised, I am still filtering everything through that rule set.  It will take some time (and games played) to really comprehend the magnitude of the rule changes and how it will affect the game compared to Revised.

• meh ill use detsroyers to astop movement instead of subs and trnasports anyways  8-)

• meh ill use detsroyers to astop movement instead of subs and trnasports anyways

I am getting really close to getting angry about these types of posts. STOP with the poor language and get your grammar correct when you post. Most people are not responding because they cant even understand what your saying.

Spend just a few seconds to fix your spelling so as to make your point clear.

• @Imperious:

meh ill use detsroyers to astop movement instead of subs and trnasports anyways

I am getting really close to getting angry about these types of posts. STOP with the poor language and get your grammar correct when you post. Most people are not responding because they cant even understand what your saying.

*you’re saying :wink:

But in all seriousness, I do agree that an occasional typo is okay, but 3 per post is a bit excessive.

• It’s 3 in one sentence and the words inserted like ‘anyways’ at the end adds no meaning. I think he said:

“Maybe I will use destroyers to stop movement rather than subs and transports”

It only take a few seconds to make it clear. Time should be spent to do this so people have a chance to respond rather than try to figure out what is going on and give up.

• LOL!  :-D

I’m not sure what it is, but these last few posts have me cracking up!  :-D

• @Krieghund:

@cousin_joe:

eg. 1 Cruiser attacks 1 Sub

1. Does the Sub still get 1st strike?

Yes.  Only a DD will cancel a sub’s special abilities.  However, submarine first strikes only occur in the first round of combat.  After that, they fire at the same time as all other units.

@cousin_joe:

I really like these rule changes Kreighund
    SUB viability is dramatically improved from Revised
    It’s actually very close to what we had in A&A Enhanced, where SUBs were very viable and a big factor in most games.  There are 2 keys though that are still missing…

1. In AA50, SUB detection with Destroyers is automatic, whereas in Enhanced, destroyers needed to make a SUB detection roll (1@3/DD (higher with modifiers, 1 success detected all SUBs). 
    2. SUBs did Convoy damage to “Island” nations (UK, Japan, US)

On the flip side, AA50 SUBs are cheaper than in Enhanced (6 vs 7).  So the question will be whether the cheaper SUBs in AA50 will be enough to overcome the lack of Convoy Raiding and the decreased viability.

A big factor that will determine this is whether Germany will be able to break out of the Baltic, which will be in turn largely be determined by the opening setup.  If UK is able to buildup their Navy just outside the Baltic, and essentially hem the Germans in, then SUBs will not be viable.

• '10

I’ve got a question about SBR.

I read the informations on the fact sheet:
    _- Strategic boming now functions drastically differently. Every strategic bombing “hit” reduces the unit production capacity of that industrial complex by 1. Once the damage to an industrial complex equals the value of the territory it is in, that industrial complex can no longer produce units. (i.e. if an industrial complex in Germany is bombed for 6 damage, it can only produce 4 units a turn until repaired). Damage to industrial complexes can be repaired for 1 IPC per damage point.

The maximum number of damage points an IC can sustain is twice the IPC value of the territory it’s in.  The number of damage points inflicted on the IC is subtracted from its production capacity.

If an IC in India is bombed for 4 points of damage, the owner must repair 2 of the damage points in order to produce one unit there.  The owner must repair all four points for full production._

If a Bomber from UK bombs Germany on a SBR with a roll of 5.

Does it mean I have to pay 5 IPCs now for bombing - and on my turn I have to repair the IC for 5 IPCs?

• Official Q&A

No, you don’t pay anything at the time of the SBR.  You only pay for the repair.  Of course, you don’t have to repair production capacity that you don’t need to use right away.

• @Craig:

@Imperious:

meh ill use detsroyers to astop movement instead of subs and trnasports anyways

While I too find these posts less than helpful, you do realize that english probably isn’t his native language? :? :-o :? :-o :?

I think that he is Italian, hence the name "italiansarecoming ".

You might want to take that into consideration. :roll:

Craig

I have noticed this growing problem and have taken the fact that there are not enough nerds in the US (don’t take offence I myself am a nerd) to keep these discussions riveting and fresh.  So I do look the other way when it comes to our foreign A&A brothers making grammatical and spelling errors in the same language I have always had problems with.

That being said IL does bring up a legitimate point.  Native English speakers have been getting sloppy and it not just using that crap Internet grammar like “k,” “thanx” or “brb.”  These are truly bad and easily identified mistakes.

I know my writing skills are poor and my spelling abilities definitely leave something to be desired. Since the spell check was removed from the reply window I use MS Word before I post lengthy posts like this one.  It saves me the embarrassment of making my shortcomings highly visible and it strains you eyes less having to translate what I write.

One of Murphy’s Laws of Combat is “If it’s stupid and it works it’s not stupid.”

LT

• Official Q&A

I’m continually impressed by the ability of our friends from non-English-speaking countries to express themselves in our language.  Many of them do it far better than we do ourselves, and certainly better than many of us would were the situation reversed.  I agree that we should give those who have a bit harder time of it a break.

• I am Italian and I have my problems in writing in correct english. Moreover even if my english is correct by a syntactic point of view I am always in doubt of being able to communicate correctly my thoughts.

However I try to post on this board for two main reasons. First because I like A&A. Second because it helps me in improving my english writing ability.

About italiansarecoming…

@italiansarecoming:

meh ill use detsroyers to astop movement instead of subs and trnasports anyways  8-)

A sentence like the above one is almost unreadable for me and I would be barely able to write something similar.
    Italians speak and write english bad, this is a fact, but at least we study English… this one is some form of slang, it is not English IMHO.

I repeat:t I am not english born, being Italian, but at least I try to express myself in a readable English.

So, please italiansarecoming, try to make an effort for improving the readability of your posts.

:)

• Romulus,

Speaking for myself as an American, I can say your grasp of English as you write it is very high.  You write very concisely.

• Craig, thank you for the correction.

I think that Romulus makes a good point.  Reading a second language is already difficult slang and misspelling don’t make it any easier.

As for those of you who don’t speak English as a native language I commend you for your ability to take on a second language, especially one as complicated as English.

LT

• why should we assume that italiansarecoming is Italian?

there is nothing to indicate that at all, unless one assumes that Italians can not speak/write good English and I certainly do not make that assumption about Italians

to me it sounds as though the writer is a 12 year old and becz of that I just skip over and ignore the posts

the posts contain too many American English abbreviations and American colloquialisms for me to believe they are by the hand of an earnest Italian practicing his imperfect English

however regardless of the source they are undoubtedly annoying and for that reason I just skip over them

• @Constantinople:

why should we assume that italiansarecoming is Italian?

there is nothing to indicate that at all, unless one assumes that Italians can not speak/write good English and I certainly do not make that assumption about Italians

to me it sounds as though the writer is a 12 year old and becz of that I just skip over and ignore the posts

the posts contain too many American English abbreviations and American colloquialisms for me to believe they are by the hand of an earnest Italian practicing his imperfect English

however regardless of the source they are undoubtedly annoying and for that reason I just skip over them

I do think that Craig made that assumption.  I think he brought it up as a possibility since these forums do draw from an international community.

Italiansarecoming could possibly be an Italian-American for all we know.

I would have to agree with you on all your other points.

LT

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m