What is the difference between A&ARevised and A&ARevised Enhanced?

• The title says it all.

• its a varient. goto avalon Hill.com and look.

• Thanks Imperious Leader for the short and sweet (?) answer.

Scalenex,

I do not know how much experience you have with Revised.

Are you familiar with the Larry Harris Tournament Rules(LHTR) that many online clubs play by as opposed to the Out Of the Box rules (OOB  a.k.a. Operations Manual)?

I ask because Enhanced is based on LHTR.  There are several rules that unlock more of the potential of the Revised game.

I’ll give you the ‘sales pitch’

This alternate ruleset is an enhancement of AAR and was developed at the AvalonHill boards. It’s main goal is to optimize the strategic experience of the game utilizing National Advantages, and to reduce repetitive play (same KGF all the time). The game developed itself through more than 3 years of playtesting by the AARe team and finally reached its goals.

Characteristics of an AARe game:

• Lots of naval action in both the Atlantic and the Pacific.
    • With 3 additional Allied VCs, the Allies will have to fight on multiple fronts to protect them
    • The balanced techs are less luck-based and play a bigger role in the game.
    • The Allied economic edge vs. the Axis military edge ensures a tensed, exciting and dramatic ending.
    • Subs are the lonely hunters of the sea! They hit and dive before you even noticed them. Aircraft alone cant get to them! Destroyers will need to Search & Destroy.
    • Balanced sides (the bids are currently around 6 IPC)
    • The National Advantages are chosen on the turn of the respective nation. Wisely utilize the NAs that suit your strategic goals and are strong against your opponent’s strategy.

Heard enough? Attached is the full version of the rules (v5.0).

I guess the post police would suggest we keep these conversations in the house rules section.  http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?board=41.0

I will be happy to answer any and all of your questions.

Good gaming!
    axis_roll

AARe Enhanced Rules - V5.0.doc

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I think they miss named it.  It shouldn’t be “enhanced” it should be “expanded.”

Technologies can be more readily attained and some technologies counter other technologies reducing their effectiveness or enhancing each other.

Navies are much cheaper now, meaning you don’t go to the soup kitchen for dinner everytime you decide to build a capitol ship (Carrier/Battleship.)

With the extra victory cities out there, life is a lot easier for the axis.

With America subject to economic attacks from submarines, they have to work around Japan, instead of just flat out ignoring them.

• AARe is a variant made by someone at Avalon Hills forum with community feedback. The game designer did not like certain aspects of the game. A game of AARe is more varied than AAR.

Submarines are more powerful as they sometimes submerge before you can fire back. Technology is more powerful as you can gurantee a tech.

• I saw the rules and they seem well thought out.  Though using it tabletop may not be in the near future.  My friend who introduced me to A&AR is rather attached to OOB (with the minor house rule that Flying Fortresses are not allowed).  I figured if LHTR was made to nerf the power of bombers that I’d use lots of bombers as the Allies to win that way.  The bombers didn’t cause me to lose but bad tech rolls and newbie mistakes involving making a bid for Manila and Paris way to early did.

In any event, how do I use the mapview program I saw referenced?  I downloaded it alright but I couldn’t find the module for A&ARe.

Thanks in advance to whoever clears up how to do this.

• You can get mapview and abattlemap modules fo9r AARe here.

http://www.2e4u.com/AARe/Software files needed to play AARe/Forms/AllItems.aspx

If you want are keen to try AARe with friends but they are too attached to OOB…then just show them the flaws.

After each “show”, bring in a house rule in the same fashion you did to fortress.
    Before long they’ll be effective playing LHTR.

Unlimited SBR damage
    Maybe your friends didn’t perform it fully. But otherwise the bombers would have reduced Germany to zero income by about G3.
    -> House rule: SBR/rocket damage to a territory capped to income value per turn (you can even cap it to per game round though LHTR doesn’t go that far)

Operation Sealion
    Techs are avaliable immediately. Germany has ~76% of getting LRA tech on turn 1. And then ~73% of taking London on turn 1.
    -> House rule: technology effective end of turn

• @tekkyy:

You can get mapview and abattlemap modules fo9r AARe here.

http://www.2e4u.com/AARe/Software files needed to play AARe/Forms/AllItems.aspx

If you want are keen to try AARe with friends but they are too attached to OOB…then just show them the flaws.

Mmhm, implying that AARe isn’t flawed but OOB is?  I think they’re BOTH flawed.  I mean, compared to my perfect self . . .  :-D

After each “show”, bring in a house rule in the same fashion you did to fortress.

I thought you were pimping Enhanced?

Unlimited SBR damage
    Maybe your friends didn’t perform it fully. But otherwise the bombers would have reduced Germany to zero income by about G3.

That’s with crappy Superfortresses NA.  If you buy a lot of bombers and try to knock out my German economy, you WILL pay the price in bomber blood.  Strat bombing just isn’t all that.  (OOB rockets are pretty vicious though)

-> House rule: SBR/rocket damage to a territory capped to income value per turn (you can even cap it to per game round though LHTR doesn’t go that far)

Operation Sealion
    Techs are avaliable immediately. Germany has ~76% of getting LRA tech on turn 1. And then ~73% of taking London on turn 1.
    -> House rule: technology effective end of turn

Somehow this overlooks that Germany has a 45% chance of outright failure right there - if it doesn’t succeed, then Germany will probably not recover.  And even if Germany succeeds, a UK2 recapture from Eastern Canada (tank and battleship support shot) followed by US reinforcement puts the Allies right back in the game.  There are a lot of Allied counters to that German attack.

NPB:

Problem with your analysis.

The OOB Rules state that if you SBR Germany that you do a minimum of 10 IPC damage with one bomber if the AA does not hit you.  I’ll take that risk with American bombers any day!  83% chance to do 10 IPC to Germany each round???  Hellz yea!  (Damage rolled or territory value whichever is HIGHER.)

Most times you’ll do 16 IPC damage with 2 American bombers a round.  Less often then that you’ll lose one bomber (less then 16 IPC!) and very rarely should you lose both bombers.

• @newpaintbrush:

I thought you were pimping Enhanced?

I am neutral towards AARe.
    LHTR is required for AARe and OP mentioned friends are too attached to OOB.

@Cmdr:

The OOB Rules state that if you SBR Germany that you do a minimum of 10 IPC damage with one bomber if the AA does not hit you.

Yeah its funny really.
    The opponent must surrender that many IPCs to the bank (or as many as the player has, whichever
    is the greater amount).

• @Cmdr:

NPB:

The OOB Rules state that if you SBR Germany that you do a minimum of 10 IPC damage with one bomber if the AA does not hit you.  I’ll take that risk with American bombers any day!  83% chance to do 10 IPC to Germany each round???  Hellz yea!  (Damage rolled or territory value whichever is HIGHER.)

Most times you’ll do 16 IPC damage with 2 American bombers a round.  Less often then that you’ll lose one bomber (less then 16 IPC!) and very rarely should you lose both bombers.

O ya, that’s rite, I forgot about the OOB typo.  I use OOB/FAQ (FAQ on the Wizards website).

But it’s true, lol.  10 IPC damage; I totally forgot about that!

@newpaintbrush:

@Cmdr:

NPB:

That’s okay, Major.  No one uses the box rules anymore because of all the typos.  Just about everyone has some variant of the box rules, whether they are house rules, LHTR or just an “understandment” between players.

I just love how easy it is to win in the box rules because of all the stuff that’s broken! =)

O ya, that’s rite, I forgot about the OOB typo.  I use OOB/FAQ (FAQ on the Wizards website).

But it’s true, lol.  10 IPC damage; I totally forgot about that!

• @Scalenex:

What is the difference between A&ARevised and A&ARevised Enhanced?

A man, a dream, and a day off from work.

Axis and Allies Revised Enhanced!  Like your grandpa’s war stories, but with REAL German strippers.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m