Was it worth adding ART to the game?

• The INF/ART combo loses most of its benefits in a large battle if there are insufficient unsupported IN present to absorb hits.  Otherwise, you are losing 2’s on attack instead of 1’s when you lose INF.

I think Darth posted that a 3:1 ratio is pretty solid for making ART worthwhile…

• I love to add Art to the game. Usually i play Wagner in the background specifically “entrance of the gods” it enhances my thoughts like classical music is supposed to do. Studies show that classical music enhances creative ideas and thoughts.

• @Imperious:

I love to add Art to the game. Usually i play Wagner in the background specifically “entrance of the gods” it enhances my thoughts like classical music is supposed to do. Studies show that classical music enhances creative ideas and thoughts.

Studies show that drugz0rz also enhance creative ideas and thoughts.

I like classical music too.  So does Hannibal Lecter.

Mmm.  Long pork.

@ncscswitch:

The INF/ART combo loses most of its benefits in a large battle if there are insufficient unsupported IN present to absorb hits.  Otherwise, you are losing 2’s on attack instead of 1’s when you lose INF.

I think Darth posted that a 3:1 ratio is pretty solid for making ART worthwhile…

Yeah, it was somewhere between 3:1:1 and 4:1:1, for larger stacks (15-20 units+)  But that is purely on economics for BOTH Off and Def and what is the cheapest way to get a good offensive and defensive stack simultaneously.  It ignores the tanks ability to move two, any ftrs/boms you may have, and other units already on the board.

I tend to go more armor heavy due to the mobility but I do like to always try and have about 2-6 rt and will buy if I have that extra IPC to upgrade an inf.

• What do you use for amphibious assaults on islands that have 2Inf?  1Inf+1Art or 1Inf+1Arm?

Does what you take there depend on if you can spare a BB for bombardment or spare a Fig to take there as well?

Once you land if you use the 1Inf+1Arm tactic, then you might end up with just 1Arm stranded on an island that has a move of 2.

Do you find yourself taking Arm with mainland amphibious assault and Art to island ones or does it not affect the way you try and do this.

Typically with island hopping or that type of Amphib assualt, I will just use 2 inf and planes.  Since this most likely will be Japan or the US, you’re right you’ll have possibly 1 or 2 BB’s and if you don’t have that you should have a carrier with 2 ftrs.  It just isn’t safe to have an unprotected trns.  So I’d use 2 inf, 2 ftrs (with bb-shot, possibly bom as well).

• drugz0rz

what is this?

• 2007 AAR League

What Artillery does is helps you also trade those pesky territorities you don’t have enough Planes to cover for.
    no more of the days of 3Inf vs 1Inf or 2 Inf, 1 Arm vs 1 Inf!  Bring that 2 Inf, 1 RTL to smash that 1 Inf.

Example Russia will be trading Karelia/Belo/UKR before the UK/US can jump in, you don’t have 3 planes unless you buy a extra one and 2 Inf, 1 Fgts vs 1 Inf is in your favor but tends to be risky I find.

The Germans have the advantage here in that they can ussually do 2 Inf, 2 fgts vs 1 Inf…

I would never have more then 5 RTL in a advance force going torwards a capital. (tanks are where it’s at.)

my ratios of units are very different then everybody elses ratios…Everybody has different strategies etc…

I almost make or get as many tanks as I have infantry, Tanks can punish opponents into submission and just don’t give a Opponent a break if they are mostly a Infantry force…

• @Imperious:

drugz0rz

what is this?

Excellent question, my friend.

It’s what you get when you add “0rz” to the end of a word, like “questionz0rz”.

I do not actually advocate recreational use of illegal or illicit substances, of course.

Therpeutic use, however, is quite different.  My, I seem to have come down with a rather severe case of glaucoma, you know.

Lol.

NoMercy’s on with the artillery substitute for air, particularly for Russia.  I’ll add to his description, though - generally, as he said, but if you’re deadlocked and have adjacent industrial complexes, I’ll tend to build a hella lotta artillery and keep on strafing; building infantry to replace those lost on the strafe.  What’s “hella lot”?  As many as I think feasible, which means as many as 1 per 1.5 or even 1 infantry.  But deadlocks are rare, someone usually gets the swing sooner rather than later.

As for getting islands - by the time I start hitting islands with the US, I typically have 4-6 fighters and a bomber.  I just blast whatever’s on the island with mass fighters and a few fodder infantry.  If your fleet is pretty secure, and you have a couple of transports (i.e. you can unload 3 inf 1 tank 2 fighters on an island with only 2 inf), then tanks are worth carrying along as well; you want to maximize your hitting power once your transports start going from the islands to the mainland, and your opponent might have some AA guns on the mainland that your fighters would find inconvenient.

• I like the addition of a new land unit, but dislike the idea of artillery as a seperate unit. You can have Inf and Amored divisions, which can have artillery elements, but artillery never existed as a stand alone division.

If a new land unit needed to be added I would have preferred it to be Mechanised Inf. Inf that can keep up with Amor and deliver a stronger attack than normal inf.

Overall I would rather have Art than not.

• 2007 AAR League

Here’s an idea: ART could act exactly like battleships - they would do an opening fire salvo before your Inf rush in, but then stay behind in the country they attacked from.

After all, that’s how they operate in real life - your artillery stay back from the front lines, you don’t have guys dragging them through the mud toward the enemy line. I guess it depends whether you see an attack on a country as a single battle or as a whole “campaign” - if a campaign, then it makes sense that the Art go along for the ride.

• @Ender:

Here’s an idea: ART could act exactly like battleships - they would do an opening fire salvo before your Inf rush in, but then stay behind in the country they attacked from.

After all, that’s how they operate in real life - your artillery stay back from the front lines, you don’t have guys dragging them through the mud toward the enemy line. I guess it depends whether you see an attack on a country as a single battle or as a whole “campaign” - if a campaign, then it makes sense that the Art go along for the ride.

Not dragging artillery through the mud?  Actually, that’s EXACTLY what they did with them, Ender.  You are talking about artillery like it’s a ballistic missile.  Artillery is useless in battle if it’s not damn close (if not at) the front lines.  The 88’s, as opposed to his tanks, were Rommell’s primary weapon against the British during his Desert Campaign, and you can bet your @ss they did not remain stationary through that campaign.  Certainly, they were not shooting at tanks in El-Alamein from Tripoli . . .

• All I remember about artillery from history is the Big Berthas from WW1, firing like 2 tons of metal through the sky miles away  :-o :-o :-o

And to be actually on topic, I agree that artillery pieces aren’t very common for very good reasons (for 1 more IPC you have better skew mobility and defensive fire in the form of tanks, and tanks are simply the best thing you can pair up with the infantry in a transport for the 3 nations that rely on transports).

But I also think that they have a very real and practical use for Russia early on, and Germany throughout the game. Artillery are more cost efficient on offense than tanks when you have tons and tons of infantry such that each of your artillery is boosting an infantry for 2-3 rounds at least, because 1 art adds the same number of offensive dice points as the tank does for less cost. That fits the description of the German lurch later in the game which is like 30-40 infantry + 7 or so art as they walk towards Caucasus.

It’s trickier to do this with Russia who needs to mash out infantry around round 5 or so, and also trickier for the UK/US to make use of the offensive efficiency since to have more arts also means to have more transports to hold them in and in the case of UK they have a noticeable build limit which lends itself to 4 inf 4 arm as often as possible, plus mobility counts a lot for UK/US/Japan who could really use the 2 movement points of tanks in a jiffy to blitz to a new hotzone or defend Moscow.

What might make artillery a little bit more buyable for all nations, if and only if that is truly desirable, is to maybe give them an opening salvo on defense. That might make them a competitive purchase with arm, because generally arm are better for the reasons many people have already listed - mobility, skew, and defensive punch.

• The optimal ratio for the offensive (from my Sum of Decreasing Punches model) is Inf:Art:Tnk = 6:3:1
    1:1:0 is quite close too.
    It’s nice to start with inf only for defense, and add only arty later up to 30-50% of the total.

• 2007 AAR League

@Gamer:

@Ender:

Not dragging artillery through the mud?   Actually, that’s EXACTLY what they did with them, Ender.  You are talking about artillery like it’s a ballistic missile.  Artillery is useless in battle if it’s not damn close (if not at) the front lines.  The 88’s, as opposed to his tanks, were Rommell’s primary weapon against the British during his Desert Campaign, and you can bet your @ss they did not remain stationary through that campaign.  Certainly, they were not shooting at tanks in El-Alamein from Tripoli . . .

I know they had to be close. However, usually you want your artillery to stop shelling the enemy when your own troops are storming their positions. It all depends on how you understand A&A battles to metaphorically represent real battles.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Magister:

The optimal ratio for the offensive (from my Sum of Decreasing Punches model) is Inf:Art:Tnk = 6:3:1
    1:1:0 is quite close too.
    It’s nice to start with inf only for defense, and add only arty later up to 30-50% of the total.

Funny, cause I almost had that ratio before!  Said Germany would be best off with 5:3:1 I believe, way way back on like page 1 or 2.  :P

Maybe I am miss remembering it.  I’m sure Bean will be all over it drooling just to try and prove me wrong even though I said i wasn’t 100% sure.

• Any optimum is flat at the top (with smooth functions, at least). That’s what f’(x)=0 really means ! where x may be multidimensional (a vector) too.

Practically, this means that moderate (say 10-20%) deviations from the optimum decision lead to unproportionally small inefficiencies in outcome.

1:1:0 is only ~0.5% less efficient than 6:3:1. I suppose 5:3:1 is even closer.

100 inf 100 art is exactly equivalent to 200 inf defending. (Tactically yes, economically not. Attackers are 7/6 more expensive this way).
    120 inf 60 art 10 tnk are equivalent to 201 inf defending (Within the ‘noise’ of simulating 10,000 runs) - and cost the same.

This flat-optimum principle is well to be remembered and can be seen in the whole world. The only clear contradictions come from discontinuities, or sharp IF-THEN conditions.

For instance, 49 inf 51 art are less effective relative to cost than 51 inf 49 art (because of the 1:1 matching rule).

• The problem with that type of mathematical only review is that it only applies to ROUND 1 of battle.

Once losses are taken, and Round 2 begins, you can find yourself with insufficient fodder to continue the attack without taking higher-value units as casualties.  Also, if you take heavy losses Round 1, you start losing 2 punch units instead of 1 punch units, which totally wipes out the cost/benefit analysis of the attack.

So not only do you have to evaluate that first round optimal number, but you have to calculate in the losses of both attacker and defender in order to see what the ratios are for Round 2.  And against a large INF stack, that initial attack ratio will be decimated by loss of INF on the first turn of battle, leaving you to proceed with only ART and ARM (or turn it into a strafe and retreat your forces to get more INF… a “lather, rinse, repeat” strat).

In order to account for first round losses, most of the top ranked players here (Darth in particular who is #1 in the League) recommend a 3 to 1 ratio of INF to ART for an attack.  That allows you to maximize punch, minimize the cost of losses, and maintain punch and fodder for the 2nd and subsequent rounds of combat.

Defensively, the 3:1 ratio also gives you more defending INF fodder before you have to lose the higher cost ART, reducing your defensive cost per point over a tighter (5:3) INF/ART ratio.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I agree with the portion of switch’s statement I read. (Sorry,didn’t read through it all.)

You’d have to apply the mathematics to a series with different outcomes over a period of time.  If you are only doing a strafe for one round, then you are okay.

• Exactly that is the reason to use “Sum of decreasing punches” - to account for an unknown number of rounds and some +/- variation in firepower at that times.

6:3:1  18+17+16+15+13+11+9+7+5+3 = 114
    5:5:0  20+18+16+14+12+10+8+6+4+2 = 110

My 6:3:1 “solution” when applied against 10 inf loses on average 3.33 inf so the 2nd round on average is 2.67:3:1. Not much “waste”. If the battle goes well enough one presses to the end, if not it becomes a 2 or even 1-round strafe.

For planned 1-round raids 1:1:0 is optimal.

True, pure inf and some armor is better defensively but in offensive situations I thinked this for that’s irrelevant. They include the much stronger multi-power attacker’s disadvantage: UK+US trying to break German EEU; Japan trying to take Moscow defended by all 3 Allies etc. If attackers are near strong enough to win offensively their defensive is very safely above equilibrium. So arty is what to add at the end !

What I haven’t told yet is that the 6:3:1 result depends closely on 3:4:5 IPC costs as inputs. If covering the investment in transport ships the ratios may modify.

For how many turns do you think it’s sensible to calculate “amortization” of transports ?
    8 turns ? for US that would make 1 IPC per transport*turn, 1/2 per unit transported, 2 stages = +1 IPC per unit. So 4:5:6 IPC real cost.
    4 turns ? … … +2 per unit so 5:6:7.

I’ll redo the calculations.

Also for land offensives (Berlin<>Moscow direction, Japan/Asia>Moscow) tanks may save 1-2 turns of march, reducing “dead investment” so inf/art are relatively more expensive.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m